Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:05:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGratuitous Profanity -- Playable
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Gratuitous Profanity -- Playable  (Read 10865 times)
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« on: September 24, 2010, 06:29:33 AM »

So I was catching up on gaming news earlier this week when I came across this article. Not only is there an official Guinness World Record for most number of times the word fuck is said in a videogame, but the record-holding game doesn't even have a four-digit fuck count.

I thought... I could do better. We could do better.

Gratuitous Profanity is a simple shmup, except all of the sound effects are replaced with fuck. You get a point every time you hear fuck. So sometimes it's worthwhile to leave enemies alive, since killing them cuts short their stream of valuable, valuable profanity.

Here's where you come in. I need fucks. Long fucks and short fuck, deep fucks and high fucks, resonant fucks, and nasally fucks. I need them all. Record yourself uttering this profound interjection now, and either link to it in this thread or email me (realnoyb ART gmail DART com) and I will find a place for it.

I'd add a picture here, but it's still looking rather crude at the moment. More to come as I flesh out the enemy designs.

9/9/2012 - Playable protoype posted.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 12:17:51 PM by Noyb » Logged

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 08:26:00 AM »

Can we submit art assets too? When a ship explodes you could see a variety of BOOMs and BANGs replaced by FUCKs and FUCKING FUCKs.

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 08:56:16 AM »

Any art you can make will undoubtedly be better than my pitiful placeholder sprites! Grin

The game currently looks like this...

Are those planes or broken anchors? Is that a butterfly or a worm absorbed in a good book?

Anyway, my first instinct was to leave the profanity solely as audio to emphasize just how unnecessary it is. Visible fucks would help to show the connection between them and scoring. An explosion of fucks sounds like a very satisfying effect.

So, enemies... Enemies make a single unique fuck when spawning, firing, and dying. You die when you touch an enemy or one of its bullets. While you're dying and respawning, you hear a single, loud fuck that drowns out all other ambient fucks, giving you one point while preventing you from gaining points from enemy behaviors for a short time. I'm still deciding whether to go for a preset number of waves leading to a boss, or an infinite score attack with procedurally generated waves.

Enemy concepts below. First three enemies are roughly implemented.

Fucking butterfly: Flies in a sine wave. Fastest craft. No guns.
Fucking ship: Flies down in a straight vertical line without stopping. Fires a few shots directly down before leaving.
Fucking camper: Flies down and starts hovering in the upper half. Fires a few triplets (three bullets in quick succession in a row or spreading) before moving down again.
Fucking armored butterfly: Like the butterfly, but slower. Invincible, but shooting it still emits a fuck.
Fucking invader: Space Invader movement. Emits a fuck every discrete step it moves. Occasionally fires down.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 12:24:24 PM »

I'll record some clips tonight and send them your way. Tonight, because otherwise I'll get too much environment noise. Posting this just because I've wanted to do this but have been lazy, so I want to commit to it!

edit: Sent via PM!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 01:08:44 AM by agj » Logged

Dozer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 11:27:20 AM »

Holy Fuck! I like the premise behind this game Smiley
jethrolarson
Level 0

@jethrolarson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 11:39:56 AM »

I think you could also throw in some shits, cunts, and asses; and still make the record. Maybe make the main guns go "shit-shit-shit-shit". Some kind of Ass laser. And of course there's F-bombs, right?

KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 11:51:57 AM »

This is a great fucking idea... aw shit. Forgot the censor...

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 02:20:39 AM »

George Carlin as the final boss as he shoots out the 7 deadliest incantations of all time, you have to battle him by firing the correct curses back at him.
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 11:10:28 AM »

This sorta reminds me of that raging TF2 twerp. An F-bomb count over 200. Couldn't even finish reading the intro post before bursting out laughing.  Big Laff
LazyWaffle
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 12:26:37 PM »

I'm guessing the game over sound effect will be "FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKK" screamed incredibly loudly?

Also, the music could sample a fuck sound effect. I'd be willing to make the music if you want.
PANPOMMA
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 07:18:15 AM »

I like the overall idea, but your current sprites are wack, I'm no artist, but you can have these if you like (assuming someone hasn't already PM'd you some art).

I went for some calm colours on the ships, off white and browns, to give the game a serene zen-gaming feel. Then I made the fuck in neon to accent just how over the top and unecessary they are.

My designs include:
- The player's ship, I wanted it to look a little beefier than the enemies, since you take on hundreds of them
- Two basic enemy ships which might look nice flying togethor
- Three levels of butterflies, I wouldn't make any invinisble though, the last one can be blown up with effort
- Some kind of spinning blade things
- A ship to replace the anchor thing
- And two easy bosses/big ships, they might spawn anchor things
LazyWaffle
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 04:01:17 PM »

You still interested in this? I'm a pretty big SHMUP fan, and this idea sounds fun. If not, I'd be willing to take over the programming.
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 08:50:58 PM »

I like the overall idea, but your current sprites are wack, I'm no artist, but you can have these if you like (assuming someone hasn't already PM'd you some art).

I went for some calm colours on the ships, off white and browns, to give the game a serene zen-gaming feel. Then I made the fuck in neon to accent just how over the top and unecessary they are.

My designs include:
- The player's ship, I wanted it to look a little beefier than the enemies, since you take on hundreds of them
- Two basic enemy ships which might look nice flying togethor
- Three levels of butterflies, I wouldn't make any invinisble though, the last one can be blown up with effort
- Some kind of spinning blade things
- A ship to replace the anchor thing
- And two easy bosses/big ships, they might spawn anchor things

I love your colors and the things you make.

Re: game, I enjoy very much the idea of playing something with really calm music and calm graphics and an avalanche of profanity.

|
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 07:47:03 AM »

Yes, yes, I'm still alive and still psyched about this game.

@agj - This is perfect and amazing and pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Especially the musicality. It's like the output of an alternate universe sfxr. Thank you! Grin

@PANPOMMA - You rock. Totally using these if you're still game. How do you want to be credited?

@lazywaffle - I have a feeling that a fuck-filled background track might be distracting, although such a song would be great for a title/credits screen. My current plan for in-game music is to synch enemy actions that make sounds to a beat, procedurally generating a chorus of fucks as the game progresses. I'll need to see if that sounds too flat after rolling a more robust wave-spawning system. I wouldn't mind collaborating with someone with more shmup experience. (Confession: I never fully beat any levels of Clean Asia, and only made it to the third levels of R-Type 1 and Ikaruga.)

Oh, and just because I feel it needs to be said, since I'm using a bunch of other people's assets, I'm not planning on putting this up for sponsorship.

PANPOMMA
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 10:39:29 AM »

Firstly, thank you very much moonmagic. I look forward to posting more often.

Now onto business; Glad you like 'em Noyb, I'm happy for you to use them. As for credit...Just PANPOMMA will do.  Gentleman

Okay, spoilers people, you won't see these types of enemy ships 'til the end game.

Ships:
- A mini-boss, fighter jet type
- Three levels of Space Invaders
- A mini-mini-boss
- Two ships with faces, an imp and a skeleton I guess
- Two elite versions of the most common enemy ships
- Rare ships which are roughly equal to the player (fast, highly weaponised, heavily armoured)
- A phallic boss

I gave them more complex patterns to give players a clue as to the shift in gears towards the end of the game.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 10:46:12 AM by PANPOMMA » Logged
PANPOMMA
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 11:07:20 AM »

Oh and here is a super quick motivational piece. Wizard

LazyWaffle
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 03:36:34 PM »

Oh  Pixel 0CPixel 0CPixel 0C, that's pretty awesome. I wonder what this game would sound like censored...
Dozer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 05:15:27 PM »

Oh  Pixel 0CPixel 0CPixel 0C, that's pretty awesome. I wonder what this game would sound like censored...

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP

I am psyched about this game :D
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 12:44:38 PM »

This game needs a secret unlockable "censored" mode. Grin

PANPOMMA
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 12:46:56 PM »

That would be far too much effort for a poor joke, let the man stick to fucks for now.  Wink
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic