Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:05:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)D-Pixel (Version 0.953)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19
Print
Author Topic: D-Pixel (Version 0.953)  (Read 58449 times)
fydo
Level 0

meows

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2010, 10:02:39 AM »

Hey, this application is wonderful! I really appreciate all your hard work that has gone into it.

I do have a small feature request though. Would it be possible to have a different scrolling mode to set in the options? One that is more 1-to-1 with the pixels at the current resolution? I find the current scrolling mode will accelerate as I move farther away from the origin of the scroll, which can be troublesome. I find sometimes I will scroll so far away because of this that I "lose" the section of the infinite canvas that I was working on and need to spend a while hunting for it.

Anyways, that's my only gripe, which says a lot since I am quite critical of the apps that I use. Keep up the good work!  Smiley

My lovely vaporware project - flay
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2010, 02:51:50 PM »

I hope this will become as awesome as I hope it will be.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2010, 10:00:28 AM »

Thanks for the compliments! I've been busy all week so not had chance to do any more work on D-Pixel yet.

RCIX: Could you post the images which crash D-Pixel so I can try to fix?

Sounds like the scrolling mode is a bit annoying for a few people. I'm not too satisfied with it myself, so will have to tweak and see what works best.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2010, 04:47:04 AM »

v 0.56 - 31st October 2010
--------------------------

+ Added support for 14 user selectable images
+ Images are saved automatically as part of workspace if modified (may need to add background saving to reduce exit time)
+ Changed New Image icon to be resize options - need to add more features to this, like image resizing as well as cropping
+ Changed scrolling method (with arrow keys) to be a 3 stage speed scroll. Trying various methods to see what works best
+ Added keyboard shortcuts:
"+" to increase pen 1 position by 1 place
"-" to decrease pen 1 position by 1 place
"+" & "Shift" to increase pen 1 position by 16 places
"-" & "Shift" to decrease pen 1 position by 16 places
"1" - "8" select the 1st to 8th positions in the palette on that row for pen 1
"Shift" & "1" - "8" select the 9th to 15th positions in the palette on that row for pen 1
fydo
Level 0

meows

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2010, 08:36:11 AM »

Yay, I love the new mouse scrolling mode!  Grin

I did some more playing around with D-Pixel last night, and I love that you can change the palette and it will update the colors in your drawing automatically.

I posted this Pyramid Head guy in the renditions thread already, but I'll plop it down here as well since I used D-Pixel to make it Smiley

My lovely vaporware project - flay
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2010, 09:29:50 AM »

Neat stuff! There was however something that I think to be a bug. I used the 'snap to grid' tool and used a grid of 6x6 squares. I tried to draw simple grid, but the result looked like this:

It seems that occasionally the line isn't quite long enough, resulting to the grid going slightly off.

Also, I'd want to request a feature: Could it be possible to have an option to use right mouse button to pick colours instead of using the secondary colour? I'm myself using the sprite editor of Multimedia Fusion, and I've grown to love the way you can just right-click to pick the colour you want. With that implemented this would easily be my pixel program of choice!

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2010, 09:45:45 AM »

Thank you very much for posting that art you've done with my program. Smiley

Hempuli, I will look into the grid thing. The right click to grab a colour option is already in there! Wink In the Paint mode tool you just need to set the right mouse button to the eyedropper icon (the row of three at the top). Smiley
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2010, 12:45:54 PM »

Thank you very much for posting that art you've done with my program. Smiley

Hempuli, I will look into the grid thing. The right click to grab a colour option is already in there! Wink In the Paint mode tool you just need to set the right mouse button to the eyedropper icon (the row of three at the top). Smiley

Fabulous!

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2010, 01:23:48 AM »

See if the grid drawing works better now..

v 0.57 - 7th November 2010
--------------------------

+ Added wireframe (single pixel line) grid option
+ Fixed bug where freehand drawing tools could be being affected by fit to grid option (if snap to grid was on) by mistake
+ Fixed bug where the current image number being worked on would be reset to 0 (the first image) when restarting the program again
+ Colours are now updated properly when a colour in the palette is copied over another by dragging in the palette
+ Loading true colour images didn't actually result in proper error check in release version and caused crashes, now fixed
+ True colour images are now loaded as 256 colour images IF there are 256 colours or less in the image
+ Workspace (expect current image) is now saved when loading new image
+ Thumbnails are now drawn in their own image palette, instead of the current palette in use
+ D-Pixel logo will now disappear when a key is pressed as well as if the mouse is moved
RCIX
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2010, 01:59:00 AM »

Well, now it loads images, but it seems to swap red and blue... More precisely, in this image:

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2010, 06:09:52 AM »

Hmm.. that could be because your gfx card colour channels is set up as BGR or something like that. Will have to see if I can fix.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2010, 08:34:37 AM »

Sadly I haven't had much motivation this week. There are still a lot of things to do / add for this and sometimes it's a bit daunting with everything else going on in my life.

thedaemon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2010, 12:02:37 AM »

Well we thank you for all your work. Take your time, just don't give up you are doing a great job.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2010, 08:03:46 AM »

Don't worry, I'm not giving up! Just some weeks will be better than others..  Wink
Jetrel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2010, 01:09:32 AM »

You're building something very different than what I would personally design as my own "dream editor", but you look like you've got something pretty sweet going on.

I use photoshop to do all of my pixel art, and I tend to find that a critically important feature is photoshop's selection tools.  The lack of them renders me unable to use any other editor (since I've yet to see a dedicated pixel-art editor that has them).  Not merely stuff like "magic wand", but specifically having magic wand AND binary operands on the change made by the selection (such as "add, subtract, intersect").  (Now, if only photoshop's "select" menu options to do stuff like "grow selection by a pixel, contract selection by a pixel, etc) were pixel-art safe, and we'd be in business.  Maybe they can be, and I don't know how to set them as such.  As it is, they tend to create partial alpha values for the selection, and I need strict 0/255 only.)

For a simple example, I might be editing a tile sheet;  I want to edit only one color (magic wand), but then that, only in one tile ( + rectangular selection set to "intersect").

For a more complex example, I'll frequently use magic-wand, often with additive mode (to grab a couple extra colors that an area transitions through) to select the edge of something I want to anti-alias.  Then, with a mid-size brush, I'll stroke that edge such that only the "jagged edges" stick into my brushstroke, and the majority of the color I'm AAing towards, underneath my brush, doesn't get touched.  The jaggies get filled with an inbetween color, and the rest of the drawing is safely untouched - and all in one stroke, rather than the usual pixel-art hell of manually clicking one dot after another to anti-alias a long edge.

So that's hopefully a useful feature-suggestion.  Coffee

(obligatory link so I qualify as having a clue about doing pixel art)
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2010, 10:26:15 AM »

Cheers, and thanks for the suggestions! Smiley

I've been too busy with DIY for our new house, christmas shopping and birthday celebrations for people in the family to do much programming.

Some good ideas and things to think about that you have suggested here, so I appreciate that.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2010, 11:51:36 AM »

This isn't dead.. I've been busy with moving house (amazing how long that takes!) as well as Christmas Shopping and other stuff. I'll be back working on D-Pixel in the New Year..

Merry Christmas all!  Gentleman
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2011, 03:23:05 PM »

I've been busy working on version 0.58 this weekend, more features and a bit of a graphical makeover to make it look a bit more modern (but not a drastic change from before). Subtle shading on the interface and icons, more colour to the icons, less flat looking panels, and more of a square design on the corners of icons, icon highlights, etc..

Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2011, 06:49:58 AM »

Paint.net has a magic wand with a global setting, and GIMP has the select by colour tool that i always found super useful

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »

Do you mean a tolerance setting? For Select by Colour do you mean like a fill->brush (which is something I plan to add)?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic