Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 10:03:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignPlayer communication / visual language question
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Player communication / visual language question  (Read 1225 times)
dongle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 25, 2010, 12:11:22 PM »

First off, let me say that designing casual games is a lot more difficult than I expected it to be. Watching live, blind, player testing showed me two important things. One is that the average person doesn't like to experiment to figure out the rules of a game. The other is that things that seem obvious to developers or other people experienced with games are totally opaque to many people.

That said, I'm trying to revise my game PongVaders based on what I observed at PAX and some feedback from a game designer (who shall remain anonymous) who really knows what he's talking about.

In my game, there are two paddles arranged Pong-style and aliens in the center of the screen. The invaders fire shots that behave like the ball in a pong or breakout game. Shots from the invaders do not collide with invaders until it is reflected by a player's paddle. If a shot is volleyed between both paddles, it is supercharged and can pass through multiple invaders instead of exploding on contact.

Right now, invaders fire hollow white shots. When the shot is reflected by a paddle, the shot is filled in so it looks like a white square. The charged shots become red and draw a motion blur.

There are several problems with this: one is that hollow-white-red is not an obvious sequence. Also, it is not obvious to players that paddle contact is advancing the sequence. The other issue is that it is possible to reflect shots off of scene geometry back to the paddle. These shots are white, but do not become supercharged upon reflection. If the other player is attempting to volley shots to you, and you reflect a shot off of the scene geometry, both incoming shots will be white and it is not obvious which balls have been 'volleyed' and will be charged upon reflection.

What's a better sequence? What's a better way to communicate that paddle contact is advancing the sequence? How do I let players know which shots have already been hit by the other player?

( Screenshots and video here - excuse the self-promotion).

Thanks for any advice,
Jon
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 04:18:56 PM by dongle » Logged

Sorano
Level 6

Game Designer / Double Stallion Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 01:07:07 PM »

Accessibility in games is hard. I definitely agree. Now I haven't played your game but I saw a video on Youtube. If I understand correctly, you want to communicate a particular sequence of actions that are beneficial to players and harmful to enemies, no?

Have you tested anything using color gradients? A normal projectile is hollow, then turns white upon reflection. Then each successive hit by players progressively changes the projectile's tint from white to red with each volley.
dongle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 01:11:01 PM »

The game only requires both players to touch the ball for it to become supercharged, but the problem is that players aren't getting that paddle contact is causing the charging. I think there needs to be some way to signify /which/ player has hit a given ball, but I don't want to spill too much of what I've been working on because that could lead the answers that I'll receive.

magnum_opus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 03:27:03 PM »

well what about:
-Player paddles are red and blue (for instance)
-Invaders launch a white shot
-Upon reflection it takes on the color of the paddle
-Upon second reflection it becomes purple (or whatever the appropriate additive color)

Edit: having poked around around, the game looks colorful enough that there might not be any good clear set of colors for the idea.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 03:37:27 PM by magnum_opus » Logged

dongle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 04:20:28 PM »

Oops, you're right, I should link some images of the game - fixed in the OP now. Yeah, we played around with additive coloration and that got noisy. We're thinking of maybe playing with the ball's geometry, but geometry isn't that good of a sequence and changing geometry might color how the player expects the ball to reflect.

Super-Dot
Level 1

hup hup

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 07:11:42 PM »

Have you tried putting in any sort of animation when the ball touches the paddle? Without playing the game or watching a proper gameplay video, I don't have any intuition as to where the problem might be, but it looks like players just might not be noticing that the balls change when they touch the paddle because it's such a subtle change.

Something like a brief glow, a swirly poweruppy effect, or a brief increase in size (like the ball is taking a breath or something), would do the trick if that's the problem.

As to letting the player know which paddle the ball has touched, it's impossible to give good advice on this without seeing the game in action. One idea would be to make the ball graphic asymmetrical somehow—fill in only the side of the ball that the paddle that hit it is on, or make it glow on that side.

Kelsey Higham, student at SJSU
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic