Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 04:15:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Cross-Program 3D Format?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cross-Program 3D Format?  (Read 1413 times)
zacaj
Level 3

void main()

View Profile WWW
« on: September 25, 2010, 01:50:55 PM »

Ive been doing a lot of work in multiple programs (3ds,mudbox,milkshape,blender), and I cant seem to find a format that works in all of them and has at least animation support(lights and cameras are a plus though).  The only formats that seem to work everywhere are obj (which doesnt have animation), and 3ds, which has a limit on polys and channels.  COLLADA seems like it was designed for this, but it doesnt save diffuse color when you have a texture map in my simplest of tests(a textured,colored, cube).  Ive even been trying different exporters... Sad

My twitter: @zacaj_

Quote from: mcc
Well let's just take a look at this "getting started" page and see--
Download and install cmake
Noooooooo
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 02:50:31 PM »

I don't think there really is a standard at the moment besides OBJ.
Other formats that are practical and common (although many softwares still can't read them) are FBX and B3D.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
zacaj
Level 3

void main()

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 03:15:23 PM »

Im pretty sure FBX is proprietary, and I dont see many plugins for b3d.  If there arent any formats, and Im thinking theres not, Ill just have to deal with COLLADA or make my own

My twitter: @zacaj_

Quote from: mcc
Well let's just take a look at this "getting started" page and see--
Download and install cmake
Noooooooo
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 02:52:26 AM »

afaik collada can save all material settings. it should be your exporter plugin that doesn't save it.
you may want to look at Assimp (open asset import library) (when considering to write your own format).
thedaemon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 11:13:13 AM »

Milkshape? Are you serious, lol. At any rate from my experience it's best to move your files from program to program in the correct order. Once you get to the animation stage you don't usually take it back to mudbox. Wink
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic