Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 08:18:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGearbolt Rage Redux *+Screenshot*
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Gearbolt Rage Redux *+Screenshot*  (Read 7714 times)
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2007, 10:43:59 PM »

OK! I don't think my OP got enough people interested to try out GBR Redux. I've made a screenshot and hopefully now people will pay attention :-p

Here is a link to the latest build.

And here is my original game that I am redoing.

It's an overhead shooter like Destruction Carnival (this one is also made in Multimedia Fusion). It's also a little like Robotron or Geometry Wars, but that wouldn't be fair to call it a clone of either. If you can, try out both versions. The original is meatier and slower paced (there is also a beginners' mode), but the new version is...  well it's I don't know! That's why I posted it here.

*Edit: The background is obviously temporary. Drawing backgrounds is hard, but I am attempting to hand draw a unique scene for each frame. If anyone has any tips for making handdrawn background, I'd be pretty psyched. It's not everyday you see reference art from an overhead perspective like this...

Anyways, the current controls:

Hold Shift: to strafe
Ctrl: to fire your current weapon
Tapping Shift is context sensitive (how's that for a buzzword?): when you're over an itembox you pick it up, when you're over an enemy you slash it, and when you're over a bomb you attempt to diffuse it

Since the game is made in MMF you can push CTRL+Y to change the controls. I suggest using GlovePIE and attaching a Wii Remote via Bluetooth. That's what I do.

The older version of the game has slightly different controls, though they are also shift to strafe and ctrl to fire. There is no knife and you don't have to pick up stuff. BUT! You can add a knife by pushing W - the knife was originally a cheat - and the knife will activate just by running over an enemy. Other buttons do stuff, too (Q activates a riot shield). The cheats were fun, but, like the knife, I'm only considering bringing over a few from the old version.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 06:25:53 AM by Alec » Logged

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 08:50:21 AM »

bump with a *screenshot*

Get the demo itch.io
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 06:28:16 AM »

Fixed your links, they were b0rked.

I've just played it a bit so far, it feels pretty smooth.

jankoM
Level 0

Beat around the bushes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 06:47:32 AM »

the background doesn't fit the foreground... it looks to me like they were floating above some huge grass that goes away in distance and as they were vertical to each-other and not horizontal as I suppose they are..

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 12:59:57 PM »

Cool Game. Nice graphics and smooth controls, although I don't think you should have to press anything to pick up the weapons. It seems like you should just be able to run over them to pick them up. I don't know how far you plan to go with this game, but it would be cool to see different levels or different kinds of enemies or something like that.

jkd
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 11:41:56 PM »

Overall I like it. The graphics and animations are great, and it's fun to play.

As mentioned, the grass background doesn't work.

I really don't like the controls though. It's too difficult, so I just hold down shift and always fire upwards. I think it would be a big improvement to switch to a Robotron-style control scheme, where you use WSAD to control your shooting direction. Also, I agree with HandCraftedRadio that you should auto-pick-up weapons.

It has potential. Keep at it!
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 01:53:27 AM »

I'm not opposed to changing anything, I just want to explain my reasoning for the controls first, and if you guys still disagree, I'll make a build with different controls.

The easier part is conceding the weapon pickup thing. I will end up adding an "auto" (in addition to the current scheme) control scheme in which things are picked up by standing over them. I probably won't make knifing or disarming automatic, but... yeah.

The harder part is defending the two button control scheme. My game isn't like Robotron. It's not like Smash TV. It's not like Geometry Wars. For this reason I didn't model my controls after those games' controls. I think shoehorning a design from one game into another kind of game is kind of dangerous, actually. This game is more like Shock Troopers or Destruction Carnival, both of which had button activated strafing.

Now, I know that is not a good enough reason in and of itself, but I think the effect on GBR is more along the lines of what I want than the other scheme.

There are two reasons why the two button scheme works out better (for me). The first is that I need an alternate button for reacting to the environment (diffusing, knifing, etc), and five buttons plus a dpad just seems ridiculous. The second is that strafing into position and hitting fire is more accurate than walking down and hitting the right fire direction because when you strafe you need to see your gun line up with the enemy. When using weapons like the pistol (hitting Soldiers and Hazmats with only 2/3 shots is a huge waste) and the rocket launcher this becomes more apparent, but the grenade launcher is also sensitive to this.

Obviously I could go the other route and add the 8 way as an alternate control scheme, but that still doesn't solve my first problem.

Btw, um, what do you guys think of 2 player? I think it could get a little messy... but awesome messy Smiley

Get the demo itch.io
jankoM
Level 0

Beat around the bushes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 12:49:32 PM »

hi , I have downloaded your game and I must say that gameplay is much better than the  screenshots show... there is a lot of animation and movement and it is very good and alive when I played.

I like that I have to press shift to picku things because I wanted to pick just some weapons and I don't want to accidentally pick them.

What are that "?" boxes for?

Are there any levels?

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 01:12:50 PM »

It's pretty fun! I think a few tonnes of blood would be a nice touch. Smiley
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 03:20:42 PM »

hi , I have downloaded your game and I must say that gameplay is much better than the  screenshots show... there is a lot of animation and movement and it is very good and alive when I played.

I like that I have to press shift to picku things because I wanted to pick just some weapons and I don't want to accidentally pick them.

What are that "?" boxes for?

Are there any levels?

The ? boxes are timed bombs you can diffuse. Go over and hit shift on them a ton. They might turn into health boxes. They also might turn into bombs proper :-p

Get the demo itch.io
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic