Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411840 Posts in 69419 Topics- by 58464 Members - Latest Member: Riya21

May 31, 2024, 06:25:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAgäpe | NES-style Adventure Platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Agäpe | NES-style Adventure Platformer  (Read 5002 times)
Mush.
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2010, 01:30:02 PM »

αγάπη
agäpe

Agäpe is an adventure platform game using the NES palette. I began to program this game on my own, but I gave up on it due to my lack of ability. (I'm currently looking for a programmer. Hand Thumbs Up Left) My idea is to make the game nonlinear. The game is set up like a top down game, but with the view and physics of a platformer. When you reach the end of a room, you have the choice to go right or left, up or down, etc.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 03:41:05 PM by MushSuace » Logged
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 01:45:25 PM »

That art looks wonderful  Kiss
BoxedLunch
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 01:58:31 PM »

can't wait man, i love your work. Gentleman
Dozer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 06:36:50 PM »

Welcome to Tigsource! :D

Just to let ya know, there is an Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread Where you are supposed to make your first post.

On to the artwork! I saw this over at the Pixelation forums and I must say, excellent. I love the NES feel of it all. That tree is just... mmmmmmm. I would totally help you if I had any programming knowledge, but alas, I am a talentless twit  Shrug

Good luck finding a coder! :D
Mush.
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 08:20:39 PM »

Thanks man. I'll be she to introduce myself if it isn't too late.  Facepalm

I'll be posting the artwork here as I go along. Hopefully it will interest a programmer in the future.
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 08:32:14 PM »

Good seeing you merge over to TIGforums.
I've said this before but the straight solid green line in the grass bugs me.

Also the cliff in the second pic is too straight as well.

other then that the project looks great.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 10:03:38 PM »

So does the plot focus on charity?

hi
petra
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 11:42:32 PM »

That is the best dodo I have ever seen.
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 02:50:47 PM »

I might be interested in programming for this game. I'm only proficient in game maker, so a flash version won't be possible if that's what you were looking for. If you choose me to program for this game will I be involved in the creative process?  For instance, I prefer more exciting and fast paced action games, so if I program the game we might need to discuss some sort of change in the character so that it wouldn't seem odd that he is moving and attacking very quickly.
guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 02:53:22 PM »

Looking good, man! Being a huge NES fan I'll have an eye on this. I hope you can find a coder soon!

Mush.
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 11:55:02 PM »

necromian: I am willing to collaborate as far as design goes, but not to the extent that I have to change the main character. Also, I do not want the game to be entirely based on reflexes or fast paced combat. This game is meant to be focused on the quest of the game, with combat as a means to complete your quest.

A little graphical update:

flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 06:03:34 AM »

I love your art, I also hope you can find a coder!

Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 06:47:41 AM »

Really nice art work. Love the water too. The one thing that seems to bug me is the grass. Im not sure why, it just seems so neon and straight.  Shrug
Dozer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 08:29:29 AM »

I actually thought that water was ice until Adamski said something... Maybe you could darken the hue a bit, throw some purple in there (just my 2 sense, but I think it would match the rest of the style a bit better)
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 01:07:37 PM »

necromian: I am willing to collaborate as far as design goes, but not to the extent that I have to change the main character. Also, I do not want the game to be entirely based on reflexes or fast paced combat. This game is meant to be focused on the quest of the game, with combat as a means to complete your quest.
Alright, fair enough. As long as the combat and gameplay is presented in such a way that it seems essential to the game and story (as opposed to a hassle).

Would you like some examples of my work?
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 08:51:59 PM »

That is some great artwork you have going there. Good quality for NES-level stuff! Smiley

You might consider a mapping scheme I'm thinking of working with, where the mapgrid is vertically offset half a screen (or the scenes are 2 screens tall, with alternating barriers)... this way, you can keep it side-scrolling oriented and still have each scene potentially access 4 more on a horizontal level alone. Kind of like a squared-off hex grid.

AAA---CCC
AAABBBCCC
DDDBBBEEE
DDDFFFEEE
---FFF---

Notice how, for instance, scene "B" can scroll sideways into A, C, D, or E all at once?

sereneworx
Level 10

What a terrific duvet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 10:06:46 PM »

I actually thought that water was ice until Adamski said something...

Likewise. It's because of the shine line things. Get rid of them, and it'll look like good old fashioned water.
AaronG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2010, 12:55:01 AM »

I actually thought that water was ice until Adamski said something...

Likewise. It's because of the shine line things. Get rid of them, and it'll look like good old fashioned water.

I thought it might be ice for a moment, too, but I'm assuming the water is/will be animated.  If that's the case I don't think anyone will mistake it for ice in-game since, you know, ice doesn't tend to move of its own accord.  I say keep the caustic rays (a.k.a. shine line things) and just make sure they're animated along with the rest of the water (surface undulation and rising bubbles).

I would also agree the grass is too green (heh) but since you're limiting yourself to the NES palette I totally understand if you don't want to change it for authenticity's sake.
Mush.
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2010, 06:52:55 PM »

You might consider a mapping scheme I'm thinking of working with, where
the mapgrid is vertically offset half a screen (or the scenes are 2 screens
tall, with alternating barriers)... this way, you can keep it side-scrolling
oriented and still have each scene potentially access 4 more on a horizontal
level alone. Kind of like a squared-off hex grid.

I think I was planning to do something similar (if I'm picturing what you're saying correctly).

I thought it might be ice for a moment, too, but I'm assuming the water
is/will be animated.  If that's the case I don't think anyone will mistake it
for ice in-game since, you know, ice doesn't tend to move of its own accord.  I
say keep the caustic rays (a.k.a. shine line things) and just make sure they're
animated along with the rest of the water (surface undulation and rising
bubbles).

Exactly.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic