Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 01:24:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsOffering Paid WorkPixel Artist Needed for 2D Flash Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pixel Artist Needed for 2D Flash Game  (Read 3193 times)
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« on: September 28, 2010, 02:50:29 PM »

Hello fellow TIGers!  Gentleman

[ Objective ]
I am seeking a pixel artist for a 2D flash game involving sea-faring and underwater sea-diving. I am a programmer who has made several Flash games and want to team with up with a talented artist who can pump out alot of quality art.

So far, I've been doing all the code and art creation for most of my games, but I am a programmer at heart and really want to just focus on the code development while letting the pixel artist focus on art creation.

You can check out some of the games I have created here. My most recent flash game, Wasabi, was recently featured, licensed and published by ArmorGames.

[ Setting ]
The game will take place in basically two settings. One is above water where you sail your boat in either left or right direction. The other is below-water where you must hunt for food and defeat sea-monsters.

[ Gameplay ]
The game is an adventure-RPG type of game. Basically, the game starts off with you and your girlfriend hanging out on a boat. A sea-monster taps the boat and your girlfriend is capsized. The sea-monster engulfs your girl and swims off into the distance. Your goal is to slay the sea-monster and save your girlfriend.

You are given a few tools. Initially you are small and weak and have only enough supply to venture a few miles out to the deep blue. You spend alot of time going underwater, fishing for food and big sea-game and selling it in certain towns. In the towns, you can restock supply as well as upgrade certain properties of your boat, such as oxygen supply (which allows you to stay underwater for a long time). You can also upgrade weapons and movement speed underwater.

The leveling up game mechanic is good because it gives the player a sense of progress and commitment. Also, the feeling of ultimately slaying the sea-bastard that engulfed your girlfriend will drive the tension that the player experiences during gameplay.

I would consider this game a "small" game in the sense that I expect the playtime of this game to be about 45 minutes.

[ Art Style ]
I imagine the art style to be very cute, charming and simple. The feeling I receive from the art and its colors should also be very ambient, brooding and moody in a way. The coloring and lighting do not have to be extremely detailed but must be visually appealing. The characters and objects must be readable.

[ Art Assets ]
The game is playable within a 320x180 area. I will obviously scale it to fit a larger area

Art assets for the game include:
- Various HUD elements
- Title screen
- Boat - Idle/Sailing animation
- Above-water elements: Clouds, sun, birds
- Character animations: idle, swimming, firing gun?
- Under-water elements: tileable backgrounds and foreground layers
- Fishies: Small, big, large, seamonsters (Squid, whale,etc) with various animation states
- Gun projectiles
- Town shop - buy menu system
- Other misc stuff

The game is still being designed so the list is no final nor is it comprehensive, but it should give you a sense of the scale of stuff that I'm looking for.

Here is a small mockup I made for the game, this is generally the direction I am thinking about for the sea-faring part of the game:
[Art removed due to copyright infringement.]

Here is a sample sound-track that I plan to use for the sea-faring to give a sense of atmosphere.

[ Contact ]
If you are interested and find the theme of the game inspirational for your pixel art, please send me a email at: [email protected]. Please include your rates and past work. Also, feel free to send me a message if you want more clarification.

I look forward to hearing from yall!  [cartman]
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 08:28:38 PM by eddietree » Logged

Blue_Pixel
Level 0

OHRer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 01:53:45 PM »

Sent you an E-mail about this Smiley

www.Bluepxl.com - blog about my games and such.
Renton
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 10:52:34 PM »

This really reminds me of something... Lips Sealed
Davioware
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 06:16:34 AM »

This really reminds me of something... Lips Sealed

I know what you're talking about. Be proud, my friend.
Achievement earned: "Mr. Inspirational."

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 03:08:11 PM »

Smiley I love you all!

position has been filled, thanks!

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 08:26:29 PM »

huh is this a joke?  This is wwaaayyy too close for comfort...  Undecided
Eddietree, I'd suggest to have your pixel artist stray away from your original artwork as its a bit too close to this project already in development. (what Renton and Davioware were referring to)
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=14830.0

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 08:36:03 PM »

Yes, it is all true!  I definitely did use that guy's piece as inspiration for this current game. I saw it online at some forums and didn't even realize it was already a game in production until someone pointed it out in this forums yesterday.

I do mean no disrespect to the Nautica team. Their art style was indeed really inspiring and beautiful and I just wanted to capture similar aesthetics in the mockup. Of course, the final art would be stylistically different. I'm sorry if it made any of you cry in the process.

Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 09:12:48 AM »

Heya,

I'm the art guy (if all goes well), and I assure everyone the graphical style will be as different from Nautica as can be! This is especially easy as I have to admit I've never seen, or played, the game Wink

I just popped in to say that I really appreciate the amount of detail and information in the OP. This goes a very long way to help artists picture the project and decide whether they'd be up for it or not.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 04:31:48 AM by Miguelito » Logged

(← new art twitter)
Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 04:34:20 AM »

Probably important enough to warrant a double post: I had a closer look at the Nautica project, and judging from what Eddie told me about the game, the gameplay is absolutely unrelated as well. eddietree's game is basically underwater exploring with some sailing interspersed.
 It's very clear that the image was only posted for inspiration regarding atmosphere.

I'll make sure not to create anything graphically resembling Nautica, now that I've had a look at the game.

That's a promise!

(← new art twitter)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic