Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:07:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignONE DIMENSIONAL MMO
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: ONE DIMENSIONAL MMO  (Read 8331 times)
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2008, 08:51:10 PM »

It hasn't been done, I just wanted to be the first person credited with posting the idea.
You have a STRAIGHT LINE of PIXELS. Each colored pixel is a player. You can face up and down, shoot and block in a direction. You can do fast shot or slow shot, with a fast shot taking longer for you to recover. After you fire you cannot move or block for a short time. If you time your block properly, you will absorb a bullet from whichever direction you are facing and instantly recover, able to absorb further bullets. If you are HIT then you move down, if you HIT someone then you move UP. The goal is to be at the top, Forever!
 Cool

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 08:55:08 PM »

It hasn't been done, I just wanted to be the first person credited with posting the idea.
You have a STRAIGHT LINE of PIXELS. Each colored pixel is a player. You can face up and down, shoot and block in a direction. You can do fast shot or slow shot, with a fast shot taking longer for you to recover. After you fire you cannot move or block for a short time. If you time your block properly, you will absorb a bullet from whichever direction you are facing and instantly recover, able to absorb further bullets. If you are HIT then you move down, if you HIT someone then you move UP. The goal is to be at the top, Forever!
 Cool

But, once you are at the top, you cannot be taken down as long as you don't fire.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
the_depraved
Level 1

Smile like a donut.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 09:27:02 PM »

I AM CONFUSED. which direction is the first dimension?

up down left right upper cut.
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 09:27:54 PM »

The first dimension would be the x plane, so horizontal.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
the_depraved
Level 1

Smile like a donut.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 09:33:31 PM »

how would that work?

Seth
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 09:57:12 PM »

no, I think the OP's idea is using the y axis, up and down
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 10:42:59 PM »

I think it'd be better represented in time.... itself.

ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 06:38:33 AM »

It should be called a mMO game: a micro/mini/minimalistic Multiplayer Online game.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Chrissketch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 02:48:41 PM »

Instead of pixels (which I admittedly love more than unicorn tears), use graphical boxes that have customizable faces. That way, a person a person can actually invest some identification with their dot, and have more incentive to play besides the king-of-the-hill metagame (which would be of interest to probably only the five best players.) For example, moving up from being dot #2368 to #2367 isn't as fun as watching your badass pirate dot totally own that wussy ninja dot. "Yarr, I be passing ya, ya survey Chinaman."

I'd also suggest a more in depth fighting system, but that might go against the minimalistic approach and basically turn the vertical premise into a graphical ranking system.

All that said, I would love it if there were more unique, casual, MMO's that * involve my generic medieval character swing his sword at bunnies and boars alongside other generic medieval characters.

*edit^^  Angry there should be a "don't" in there.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 06:20:40 PM by Chrissketch » Logged
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 06:09:10 PM »

Time for my two cents:

I think the only way that this could really work would be if you made it tons of dimensions and players only started as one dimensional. The best way to do it would just be to make a Flatland MMO (If you don't know what Flatland is, its an incredible book about a universe made of sentient geometric shapes. You really oughta read it, or at the very least Wiki it).

I think a flatland MMO would be totally awesome and I would be the first one to sign up. You start the game out as one dimensional, and gameplay could be the way you set it up. Only once you've beaten the first dimension, you level up and gain another side, or pixel, or dimension, or something. So that as you continue to play you become an increasingly complex geometric shape.

There are just so many possibilities. It would be awesome, GMs could be sphere's, or maybe those would be saved for the highest level. I have no idea what gameplay would be like for different stages of the game, but different shapes would have to do different things, resulting in practically infinite options for gameplay.
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 04:39:30 AM »

I actually really like this idea.  With everyone striving for the same goal and frantically blocking and shooting the people either side of them, it could be a pretty fun experience, I reckon.

After you fire you cannot move or block for a short time. If you time your block properly, you will absorb a bullet from whichever direction you are facing and instantly recover, able to absorb further bullets. If you are HIT then you move down, if you HIT someone then you move UP. The goal is to be at the top, Forever!
 Cool

But, once you are at the top, you cannot be taken down as long as you don't fire.

Only if they timed the block 'properly'.  But I think it might be cool to have some kind of bot at the very top, like a big armoured guy with a shield that will block all attacks - just to keep the top player on their toes.  The players could all be souls fighting to get into Heaven, and there could be an angel at the very top smiting them back down.

Instead of pixels (which I admittedly love more than unicorn tears), use graphical boxes that have customizable faces.

I agree.  Just because the gameplay is one dimensional, it doesn't mean the characters have to be too.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
the_depraved
Level 1

Smile like a donut.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 08:16:32 PM »

this makes more sense to me. I'd be willing help on the graphics for it.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 05:08:58 AM »

I think it'd be better represented in time.... itself.

Ok, how's this: Each area is a single dot, and you can choose your dot's colour. There are millions of colours in the latest colour systems, right? So you could have everyone a slightly different colour. You then select a time that you want to enter the area and occupy it. You'll need to schedule in advance because everyone is competing for a spot.
Once you're controlling the world, you can lay traps for future players or excise past players from the history books.
Instead of getting items for yourself, there are a handful of items shared between the entire world. You'll need to book the item you want to coincide with your entry into the level. Getting multiple items together, never mind raids, is a logistical nightmare.
Also, the levelling works backwards. EXP earned now will gain you levels in the past, making you more difficult to excise.

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 08:28:05 AM »

Sounds a lot like Mr. Square's visit to Lineland, in the book Flatland.

Neat ideas, though.

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 02:37:58 PM »

Time for my two cents:

I think the only way that this could really work would be if you made it tons of dimensions and players only started as one dimensional. The best way to do it would just be to make a Flatland MMO (If you don't know what Flatland is, its an incredible book about a universe made of sentient geometric shapes. You really oughta read it, or at the very least Wiki it).

I think a flatland MMO would be totally awesome and I would be the first one to sign up. You start the game out as one dimensional, and gameplay could be the way you set it up. Only once you've beaten the first dimension, you level up and gain another side, or pixel, or dimension, or something. So that as you continue to play you become an increasingly complex geometric shape.

There are just so many possibilities. It would be awesome, GMs could be sphere's, or maybe those would be saved for the highest level. I have no idea what gameplay would be like for different stages of the game, but different shapes would have to do different things, resulting in practically infinite options for gameplay.
That is pretty much the best idea I've read in weeks! I would argue for staying true to the book - making use of the rather complex society, including social classes based on shape, described in the book. You could possibly have the players visiting 0D, 1D and 3D later on (as in the book), but not from the start! I'm putting my vote down for a Flatland MMORPG!

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 07:55:23 PM »

I highly recommend turning a book about class discrimination and political repression into another grind-fest that devours time and spits out money.

While we're at it, are there any other books you'd like to ruin? How about "One Hundred Years of Fetch Quests?" At the end, the town can get destroyed, but it can respawn every five minutes.

Yes, I have been drinking.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
GP Lackey
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 04:55:36 AM »

I think a full simulation of The Planiverse would be pretty exciting.  It's a sort of demi-sequel to flatland where the author writes about how the physics and anatomy of the flatlanders might work, among other things.

I like this one dimensional game idea.  Perhaps it could be a line without end, it eventually wraps around so that there truly is no top.
Robotacon
Pixelhead
Level 3

Story mode

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 10:04:03 AM »

The Planiverse is a great book with lots of good illustrations that would be easy to make a game from, which is part of the books storyline. I highly recommend it to anyone (no j/k I ONLY recommend it to nerds like you guys).
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 11:04:25 PM »

GP Lackey:  Shocked
I like the idea of reaching the top.. highscore board for how many seconds you hold it Smiley. Keep that perfect blocking going.. or maybe you ascend after holding it for a bit, get on the scoreboard.

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 03:06:46 PM »

I second a vote for a Flatland MMO. Come to think of it, how awesome would a four-dimensional MMO be?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic