Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411427 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:34:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsOakland/Berkeley get together?
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Oakland/Berkeley get together?  (Read 9734 times)
Zaphos
« on: October 02, 2010, 10:36:50 PM »

Sparky and I were thinking of having a small get together to meet & hang out with more of the indies in the area -- just spend a Saturday or Sunday afternoon in a coffee shop, chatting and coding.  Anyone else interested?  Have suggestions for a time and/or place?

Edit:
Okay, the official plan is now:

This Saturday, October 23
Starting at 2 PM
At Ritual Coffee in the Mission
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 08:47:29 AM by Jimmy » Logged
Musenik
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 08:55:44 AM »

Au Coquelet is pretty nice, in Berkeley at Milvia and University. They have a back room where you can get full meals or a snack, and it's fairly quiet. It's usually not too crowded.

I'd like to be more involved with indies in the bay area. I live in Emeryville. So Berkeley or Oakland is perfect for me.

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 10:33:23 AM »

I work in Emeryville until about 7 PM during the week, so if you had it then it would be convenient for me to pop in after work. Maybe like a Friday night that could turn into a bar outing/sleepover at someone's place in Berkeley or something?

Zaphos
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 12:37:46 PM »

Oh nice, I hadn't realized you were so close by, Musenik Smiley  I haven't been to Au Coquelet, but it sounds nice, will have to check it out.  Any thoughts on the time / date?

@phubans -- Friday evening *could* work for me, but I'm not too keen on hosting a sleepover ... I'm still more inclined to the weekend afternoon plan, if it's possible.
Musenik
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 03:37:28 PM »

@zaphos -- Yeah, that's probably the best way to start out. Sometime in the second half of Oct. works best for me. I'll know more in a week or two. Au Coquelet is relaxed. We won't need to reserve seats for a just a few people, 5 or 6.

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 03:54:39 PM »

I'm in the San Mateo area, and would be interested in showing up and meeting up with some local folks. A weekend afternoon would be ideal, timewise.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 05:58:22 AM by Destral » Logged

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 11:28:46 PM »

Oh wow, I haven't been to Au Coquelet in years!  Although this month is kind of busy for me, I'd love to hang out with you guys sometime!  Thanks phubans for showing me this thread -- how often do these meet-ups happen?

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
Zaphos
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 02:18:17 AM »

This would be the first of these meetups, so, I have no idea how often they'd happen.  I was hoping they could become a semi-regular thing if this one turns out well ... maybe once or twice a month?  Depends on whatever people are interested in Smiley

Destral -- ah, San Mateo's pretty far!  Perhaps if this happens multiple times, we should meet in SF some of the times?

Musenik -- IGF deadline is the 18th, and TIGJAM is the 28-31, so if we plan for it to happen in a few weeks, that suggests the 23 or 24th?
RandyO
Level 0

I should laugh out loud more.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 08:35:01 AM »

I can meet whenever, and I live a super-convenient 10 minute walk from Au Coquelet. I would be fine with weekend afternoon or weekday evening.  That seems to be the main question.  If we'd care to meet up week/weekend before TIGJam that'd be fine with me.

Oct 21-23(thurs,fri, or sat) okay set of possible dates?

Don't think I'd be up for more than once a month.

Lookin' forward to meeting new peoplez.

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 11:42:21 AM »

Yeah, SF might be a more central location for those who are also in the South Bay? Plus, I can definitely come out whenever when it's in SF Smiley

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 12:07:18 PM »

I've a pretty busy schedule this month too, and pretty much the only weekend I have free is the 23rd/24th. As for doing the meetup in SF sometimes, it's definitely closer than Berkeley. :D

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 07:35:10 PM »

I live in San Jose but am in San Francisco every weekday for work. I would be interested in any indie meetup type stuff happening although it is a little harder for me to get to Berkeley/Oakland.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Musenik
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 08:51:04 PM »

Maybe someplace along the BART line would be appropriate, in SF.  That works for me.

Zaphos
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 09:23:50 PM »

Someplace along the BART line in SF sounds okay to me.   Any suggestions?  I'm not too familiar with cafes in SF ...
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 10:06:43 PM »

Hmm, I don't know if I could recommend the Civic Center... There isn't really much down there save for this bar called Lalita's, which is a restaurant/bar and has a loungey-type area. Other than that, the area is one of ill repute since it's right next to the Tenderloin and there really aren't any cafes.

Going down towards Powell or Montgomery would probably be a better bet, although you risk running into some bourgeois bastards and it might be a bit too upscale for a bunch of indie game people. That's the problem with SF... No real happy medium. You're either incredibly rich or incredibly poor Sad

Finally, there's always the Mission and BART goes there (although 16th & Mission is notoriously shady, but I was there one night at 3 AM after getting out of a bar and I ended up hanging out with some homeless crackheads and lived) Of course, there's bound to be plenty of places to meet up there as long as you don't mind hipsters. So, I'd say the Mission is probably the best bet.

EDIT: Here's some cafes in that area:

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=cafe&ns=1&find_loc=mission+and+16th+st%2C+san+francisco
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 10:15:49 PM by phubans » Logged

supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 12:10:14 AM »

Quote from: Destral
-- ah, San Mateo's pretty far!  Perhaps if this happens multiple times, we should meet in SF some of the times?
I'm also from San Mateo so I'd probably be able to make it to SF a bit more easily ^_^
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 10:01:18 PM by supershigi » Logged

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
Innerscope
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 05:36:56 PM »

Just stumbled across this thread... This sounds cool, I'd like to meet other game devs around here as well. (I live in Oakland/Emeryville)
Just set a place and time, I'm there!  Ninja (weekends work esp. well for me too)

Current Project: Wizard's Pie (iOS)
Future Project: Maiden Days (iOS)
Other Stuff: Blog
 & Web Site (Under Construction)
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 11:39:13 PM »

I am in.  Tiger

Denny's is where we had an art jam during gdc...
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 12:26:45 AM »

I would maybe like to come as well (as soon as I get a laptop, which should hopefully be very)

it would be neat if this could be a...repeated thing...

Musenik
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 05:04:43 AM »

I'll suggest Henry's Hunan. Unlike Denny's, this is a great place to relax, eat, and talk. Food is good and not terribly expensive. This downtown location is just a few blocks from BART.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=henry's+hunan+natoma&fb=1&gl=us&hq=henry's+hunan+natoma&hnear=henry's+hunan+natoma&cid=0,0,12322762489937493476&ei=fnOsTN_eFo70swOb553iAw&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=2&ved=0CBgQnwIwAQ

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic