Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411905 Posts in 69428 Topics- by 58475 Members - Latest Member: tpat14

June 09, 2024, 08:50:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMusic Fall
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Music Fall  (Read 1795 times)
geel9
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2010, 10:18:44 AM »

I finally finished my music/rhythm game, Music Fall, which has an innovative new style of play.
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 12:12:48 PM »

Nice! Tea and crumpets was hard  Shocked  :D

I played 3 of the levels and it was good  Hand Any Key but I felt a little like I didn't have much to do in it.
Blackcorn
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 01:46:41 PM »

The main problem in your game is all about feedbacks. Player doesn't really get a real feedback each time he collects a bubble. I mean, we don't actually "feel" our action. Moreover, even if we miss a piece, it doesn't really matter because music still continue to play. I think it could be better with another form of feedback.
chickenhead
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 01:50:12 PM »

Quite fun but I found it a bit hard to play because my mouse cursor kept slipping of the frame and loosing control input.  
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 02:01:44 PM »

The main problem in your game is all about feedbacks. Player doesn't really get a real feedback each time he collects a bubble. I mean, we don't actually "feel" our action. Moreover, even if we miss a piece, it doesn't really matter because music still continue to play. I think it could be better with another form of feedback.

Yes, I think the note should play dischordantly if you miss it.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 11:31:16 PM »

I expect the...music...orbs to disappear once they hit the bottom of the screen but they disappear considerably sooner, along an unmarked horizon, which fucked me up pretty often on cea and trumpets. I'd say either make the note beat thingies disappear once they hit the bottom or have the point at which they do disappear be clearly marked. The whole can't-track-mouse-outside-window thing screwed me over a couple times as well...

geel9
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 11:33:09 AM »

Let me clear something up. I cannot have it track your mouse outside the game window because it's Flash.

Also, they disappear sooner because it's much too easy if you hit the notes with your side
noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 08:17:18 AM »

Nice! I love me a nice masochistic rhythm game! At least I assume that's what you're going for with Chaoz Airflow there. ;-)

Also, they disappear sooner because it's much too easy if you hit the notes with your side

Just out of curiosity, does it have to have a binary hit/miss response for notes? For example, DDR has a wide range of responses for almost-hits, ranging from half-points to nothing at all. Also, the penalties for missing a note are much too evil. Like, I understand if flubbing a stream causes serious penalties, but I shouldn't be completely boned for missing just one note. (But that's just a side effect of the combo multiplier system, which I never liked for that reason)

Also, like Blackcorn mentioned, feedback is definitely an issue. Most rhythm games don't really need to concern themselves with it, because any action is accompanied with a firm stamp of the foot or some other "heavy" action. However, here you're just swinging your mouse left and right. I don't really know any way to fix this, but you could maybe alleviate some of the pain by adding a bit of eye candy. Maybe give the orbs something else to do besides just disappear. Add some nice feedback whenever the combo meter goes up. Add some SFX, a little auditory feedback goes a long way, and since you're syncing everything to the beat anyway the SFX will line up nicely.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 05:55:38 PM »

Can we have a downloadable full soundtrack? I love the music.

Also, the difficulty curve between songs 2 and 3 is a little extreme.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 08:27:27 PM »

Let me clear something up. I cannot have it track your mouse outside the game window because it's Flash.
yeah yeah I know but it's still annoying Tongue

then a line showing where they will disappear would be of immense help.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic