Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:14:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingToo Many Isotopes
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Too Many Isotopes  (Read 3900 times)
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« on: April 05, 2008, 09:26:42 AM »

Too
Many
Isotopes

This is my newest game.  It was inspired by the Atari game that was loosely based on the movie The China Syndrome.  Mainly, I was experimenting with a new graphics style, but the game is really fun and addicting to play as well.

In the game, you must keep a nuclear reaction in check.  To do so, you must catch stray neutrons and prevent them from starting a chain reaction.  You must be quick, but also careful to not hit the edges of the chamber, as well as various obstacles.

To beat a level, you must catch all the neutrons that are bouncing around.  Your score is determined by how quickly you accomplish this.  Do not let the neutrons multiply too much; if there are more than six of a certain color, you will lose a life.

Controls:

Arrow Keys:  Move
<CTRL>:  Catch (use this to capture the neutrons)
<F5>:  Toggle sound
<F6-F8>:  Change color mode (CMY, RGB, Greyscale)

Screenshot:

As you can see, the game is rather abstract.  In fact, there are only three colors, which are represented as rectangular bars within each pixel.  In a way, the game's graphical style is kind of like a super-zoomed view of a computer monitor (just with the possibility for other colors than RGB, like CMY).

Specifications:

Title: Too Many Isotopes
Genre: Minigame
Download Size: 1.33 MB zipped
File Type: A '.zip' archive that contains the main executable and README.txt.
Resolution: 640 x 480
Version: 1.2
Written In: GM7 Registered (Should work on Vista!)

Download:

Mirror I
Mirror II

Notes:

- The game's audio is composed entirely of PC-Speaker beeping.  This can be turned off by pressing <F5>.  I would like to thank Jedlas for his GM PC-Beep extension that makes using the PC-Speaker possible.

- The game is supposed to be a little jerky (like an Atari game), but shouldn't run slowly.  Please let me know if it lags a lot on your computer.

- I have fixed some speed issues in Version 1.2.  If you have an earlier version, and were frustrated by the very high game speed, please try the new one.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 12:37:25 PM by ThetaGames » Logged

threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 10:34:57 AM »

Like the Atari Games I have seen on youtube, this one really captures that feel. However, I can't seem to figure out why I die at random times, or how to even beat a level. That's kind of frustrating, but I take it that that's kind of the point.

I love CMYK as well.
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 11:43:42 AM »

You probably hit the outside walls when you died.  All you need to do is move around, and press <CTRL> to catch the neutrons that are bouncing around.  To beat the level, you need to catch them all.  Maybe I need to be more clear in the description.

Glad you liked the graphical style! 

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 11:53:06 AM »

I like this. Smiley

It does capture that Atari feeling well - especially with the PC speaker beeping.

I would say that it's a little difficult, though - only once did I even manage to beat the first level Cool

olücæbelel
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 04:49:19 AM »

I like this. Smiley

It does capture that Atari feeling well - especially with the PC speaker beeping.

I would say that it's a little difficult, though - only once did I even manage to beat the first level  Cool
Thanks for your comments!  How did you mostly die on the first level?  You don't want to race around at top speed; it is mostly about planning.

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 12:36:01 PM »

I just tried this on another computer, and noticed that the game's FPS was faster than it should have been.  The computer that I made it on is getting a bit old, so it was lagging on my machine.  I have uploaded a new version with a lower speed.  I think this was probably why many users thought it was difficult.

Thanks!

increpare
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 11:15:48 AM »

Too
  It was inspired by the Atari game that was loosely based on the movie The China Syndrome
There was a game based on the china syndrome?!  Hah Smiley

I was once told that, prior to this film coming out, everyone in the UK and Ireland used the now  more archaic pronunciation 'syndromay'.  I was shocked to hear his.
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 12:00:49 PM »

There was a game based on the china syndrome?!
Yeah, from what I understand, it was pretty obscure.  Smiley

I was once told that, prior to this film coming out, everyone in the UK and Ireland used the now  more archaic pronunciation 'syndromay'.  I was shocked to hear his.
People seriously used to say it that way?

increpare
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 12:31:26 PM »

People seriously used to say it that way?

srsly
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 12:24:29 PM »

That's interesting.

Does anyone else have comments on this (i.e. difficulty level, sounds, gameplay, etc.)?

Thanks!

~ Theta Games

increpare
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 01:55:22 PM »

That's interesting.

Does anyone else have comments on this (i.e. difficulty level, sounds, gameplay, etc.)?

Erm...I just found it really hard, and didn't really have the patience to persevere long enough to get past the first level :/
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 03:47:50 PM »

Erm...I just found it really hard, and didn't really have the patience to persevere long enough to get past the first level :/
Were you playing Version 1.2?  Earlier versions have some speed issues, specifically, they ran too fast.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic