Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 07:11:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPers - little puzzle platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pers - little puzzle platformer  (Read 1472 times)
Inko
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2010, 02:32:26 PM »

It’s finally done! My very first demo ever published.

Yes I am one of those guys with a bazillion started but abandoned game projects on his hard drive. And every time I started a new one I was like: Now I’m gonna make it, at least a demo!
And this time it became true… at least a demo.

Well, actually, this is the demo beta(if this makes sense Undecided). There is still some stuff to do(see my To do list at the end of the post). Most importantly, there is no music. Well, this is not entirely true, there is a test midi I’ve created to test out PxTone, but if you don’t want your head explode after a few minutes because of this annoying sound, you should keep the sound settings as they are – quiet.

If there is a talented musician out there with too much spare time, please send me a mail Wink

I won’t gonna tell you too much about the gameplay, just check it out. It’s a puzzle platformer and it doesn’t too long to finish. Have fun Wink

Demo
You need the Unity plugin. Sorry, but can't do anything about that.

Here is a picture to get some impression what the game... well... looks like.
I wanted to go for some kind of super abstract piece of cubistic painting meets game-Style

To do list till demo final:
-Musik
-sound volume
-clean up the project
-add several sounds
-probably correcting some spelling mistakes… ?
-probably a floating scarf for the hero ?
-some lvls still have some flaws and problems. All of them are complete-able though!

Any kind of comment or critic would be very much appreciated Wink

Oh yea, and thanks again to Apples for his help in the Support section. Fortunately I was just an Idiot and uploading with creativ coding worked fine.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 03:04:56 PM by Inko » Logged
OneSadCookie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 02:43:25 PM »

Your link is severely busted -- should be http://www.creativecodingstudios.com/Unity/UserData/Inkooo/Pers%20v14/

It's a neat idea (if a bit fezzy), but I'm finding the execution trying.  Better instructions in the first level, putting the colored box in front of the spawn point in the second level, and a soluble 3rd level Wink would help.
VomitOnLino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 02:48:43 PM »

Very cool, I like the style muchly!
Also the game has a lovely style going for it. So this is all pretty good. Also feels quite polished for a demo already. Even though I guess the main menu font could use some polish too.

But some things I noticed immediately (ordered in order of perceived importance):

-I cannot pass level one and get stuck in an invisible wall before getting to the cube. [EDIT: No I'm just dumb and the black part was supposed to be walkable. Argh. Okay, maybe make the walkable parts of the level more distinct in each perspective...]

-You misspelled the URL - there were " s in the link.

-Also in the top down perspective it is possible to walk "under" the hole in the ground, which feels weird but could be wanted.

-Last but not least, yes there ARE a lot of spelling errors. Heh. ("Get to the little blue cube to proceed.) [/grammar nazi]

-EDIT Number 2: Okay, nice. I think the controls could use some work but , still I see lots of promise. The box "physics" could also use some tweaking. Maybe snap to an invisible grid to avoid boxes jiggling out of place again?

Also I'm stuck on level 3 now. I stacked the boxes and took the bottom one out to stack it up again but then they all fell down. Now I'm out of ideas ... Wink
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 02:56:49 PM by VomitOnLino » Logged
Inko
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 03:26:20 PM »

Yeaay, first comments Smiley

First of all, BIG thanks to both of you for pointing out that URL mistake. Kinda embarrassing, but it's fixed now  Embarrassed

@OneSadCookie
I was hoping for some critic on the instructions. I’ll defiantly try to make them more understandable, thanks. But I don’t quite get your crit about the crate in lvl2. explanation please. Oh, and all the lvls ARE doable Wink

@VomitOnLino
Yea, I’m not a big fan of the font either.
That thing you mentioned about the invisible walls in topdown are on purpose. The big difference to Fez is, that here changing the view doesn’t effect the world itself, you really just change the point of view, that’s it.
I kinda like the idea of a grid. Noted.
And in Edit3 you found one glitch I thought I had finaly fixed. Dang it. Your solution was totally right though. Somehow this bug seems to come and go as he likes to  Angry
Hah, and the spelling mistakes, well, I’ do my best to fix them Wink

Again, thanks to everyone who played it, even at this stage. As you say, there still is quite a lot more to do.
chickenhead
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 04:16:35 PM »

Interesting concept.

One thing which I think leads to confusion is that your vertical position in the top down perspective affects if you collide with things in the sideway perspective. Since there's no visual representation for the "depth" position in the sideway perspective you often find your self wondering why you fall throw blocks.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic