Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:14:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPoot Poot 2: The Cheddar Scare (WIP)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Poot Poot 2: The Cheddar Scare (WIP)  (Read 4086 times)
alexandersshen
Level 2

What's a battle?

View Profile WWW
« on: April 07, 2008, 08:31:28 AM »

Hi everyone!

I'm really grateful for all the feedback on my first little mini-game, Poot Poot: The Lactose Intolerant Cat.  I've started the stages of designing part 2, which will be a horizontal shmup.

Story:
Poot Poot, the lactose intolerant cat, does not eat mice.  He actually gets along with mice very well.  The reason?  Even with his unfortunate condition, Poot Poot eats dairy products like milk and cheese.  His favorite is a nice sharp cheddar.

Dogs have some how taken control of all the cheese supply on Earth (don't ask how, it just happened one night while you were at the movies).  They have decided that they will get rid of two pests with one stone: if they remove all cheese, all the mice will die and if they remove all the mice, all the cats will die also.

The World Federation of Mice (WFM) have employed the services of their friend and greatest ally, Poot Poot, to travel to the moon (where the dogs seem to have their HQ... somehow...) to get back their cheese and perhaps, just maybe, some of that elusive moon cheese.

Work in Progress:
I have the basic moving around and shooting engine down.  I was also able to do a basic creation/mimic of parallax scrolling with some crudely drawn stars.  The first enemy has been designed and programmed as well (basic sine wave movement).

Since this is my first shmup, I'm planning on a three-level blast to the moon with mid-bosses and stage bosses.  I have ideas for a few, but I'll have to work those out.  There's also going to be a permanent upgrade system where you can spend Moneys you earn from destroying enemies on upgrades like Options and spreading bullets.

Screens:

I'll keep everyone posted on progress!
c-foo peng
Level 3

game chef

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 10:00:52 AM »

The cat
unambiguously
flaps
in space

He cannot
eat cheese
but
does anyway

alexandersshen
Level 2

What's a battle?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 10:35:10 AM »

I've gone and created another enemy for the shooter.  No level designs have been created yet (aside from on paper) nor have timelines been determined.

This is one of the classic fly in, stop, spin around and shoot type of enemies.  It's a Scottish Terrier on a circular machine of some kind.  I kind of just kept throwing pixels down until I came with a design.

The coin looks a little funny too.  I think the edges are not "round" enough and they look like bottle caps because of that.

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 11:29:05 AM »

how... exactly... do you sprite with such intensity?!
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 11:32:23 AM »

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume performance enhancing drugs.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 12:29:46 PM »

I definitely like the storyline.  What will the cat shoot?  Also, won't the cat and mice still not get along, because they are fighting for the same natural resources?   Smiley

Nice ideas, though!

~ Theta Games

Zaphos
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 12:44:52 PM »

Also, won't the cat and mice still not get along, because they are fighting for the same natural resources?   Smiley
Wanting the same natural resources doesn't mean they're fighting (each other) for them?  Otherwise mice wouldn't even get along with other mice ...

Anyway, nice sprites! Smiley
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 02:49:49 PM »

They could be cooperating for the same cheesy goal.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
alexandersshen
Level 2

What's a battle?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 10:11:01 AM »

This is one of the bosses.  It doesn't have the "claw" attachment yet.  The claw attachment will essentially track the player, then shoot across the screen to attack the player.  When it reaches the other side, it gets stuck for a few seconds.  Trailing behind will be blue electric sparks that shoot out bullets as well.

Well, that's the idea anyway.

I've got the "tech demo" available for download and play.  It's just the straight up moving around, shooting things, and infinite space with no ending.

Arrow keys to move, space to shoot, ESC to quit and R to restart.

Download: http://www.wanderingpandacomics.com/blog/200804/pootpoot2.zip
medieval
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 08:47:06 AM »

Awesome  Shocked

How come everyone exceeds me around here  Cry
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 10:34:40 PM »

Awesome  Shocked

Performance enhancing drugs  Cool.

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
medieval
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 02:15:34 AM »

Awesome  Shocked

Performance enhancing drugs  Cool.

I am too young for drugs. sorta.
increpare
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 01:36:08 PM »

Aaaah those spinnig wassits keep on killing me before I can get anywhere (is that style of shooting pattern something you came up with yourself?)
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 01:45:52 PM »

Ah this is pretty cool. The graphics style is awesome. I love that big dog riding that hover platform. Looking good!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic