Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:15:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[?????] [??]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: [?????] [??]  (Read 12800 times)
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2010, 11:34:54 AM »

Now that I have one type of plant working, I'm going to be adding the planting of seeds while I consider the future of doing things. Will there be enemies to kill, trap, or run away from? Most likely! Will there be grown items to pick up? (apples in trees or flowers, etc) Sounds good to me!

What about weeds being an enemy - but they grow like the plant, the protagonist is a gardener trying to keep the weeds down but leave the plants. If the weeds aren't kept down they reduce the available space for the good plants to grow.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2010, 01:47:48 PM »

John Sandoval, good point. Soon -- I promise. (It's a flash game though, just click and you're there, playing. It's also a very tiny flash game.)

Giaddon, you can't dig up and also cool, glad they look good and it all runs well.

OneMoreGo, I tried on my netbook for fun :D same effect
... Weeds may be an 'enemy' for sure! There may be seeds that are kind of 'bad' in that you can't dig them away, and need to deal with them in other ways... I think that a lot of the elements of the game will just be somewhat neutral and end up being somewhat good or somewhat bad depending on the situation and positioning.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2010, 03:54:43 PM »

I like this, but I really wish you could dig up, dig sideways while in the air, and / or wall climb so I could go in more vertical directions.

60 FPS, looks fantastic, as well. I love it!
ink.inc
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2010, 04:05:16 PM »

Yes. When I played the game, I was disappointed to find that my travels generally led me downwards, as opposed to, you know, up. Currently, the game runs fine for me; 60 fps on an oldish laptop. Interested to see where this goes.
RCIX
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2010, 04:10:23 PM »

Cool, though the plants only grow about 5 squares for me Sad
Consistent 60 FPS AFAICT.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2010, 04:24:28 PM »

The plants stop growing eventually, RCIX, but don't worry! The future has amazing things in store...

Inanimate, John Sandoval, RE: Downward travel\\

Planting your own plants will allow you to ascend more easily.
edit :: to clarify, when I upload a version with planting your own plants, you will be able to ascend more easily using said plants
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 05:14:49 PM by Droqen » Logged

Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2010, 05:11:13 PM »

You should prolly explain how to plant your own plants.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2010, 05:14:11 PM »

You can't.

Yet.

RCIX
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2010, 05:20:28 PM »

The plants stop growing eventually, RCIX, but don't worry! The future has amazing things in store...

Inanimate, John Sandoval, RE: Downward travel\\

Planting your own plants will allow you to ascend more easily.
edit :: to clarify, when I upload a version with planting your own plants, you will be able to ascend more easily using said plants
Its that they stop right away after growing no more than 5 squares is what confuses me :S
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2010, 05:32:01 PM »

They are supposed to grow... around 4 - 8 squares before stopping (sometimes less, sometimes more).

5 is not unreasonable! I guess they could just keep growing, to infinity, but that could be sort of odd.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2010, 05:45:38 PM »

I am back from a long trip. I like what I see.

I can run the plants growing at 60, but when they finish a square it jumps down to 30, and gradually grows until the next set of squares. I assume it's the particles.

I think that vertical movement won't be a problem once we get seeds that make things other than walls, like springs, or ladders.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2010, 09:09:33 PM »

SEEDS AND GROUND TYPES
Right now we got
Earth (two shades, dirt and clay)
Plant (one shade, green)

Every colour is a possible seed type, except for dirt/clay, I guess.
So for the moment that leaves me with Plant seeds only.

Attempting to grow a seed in certain types of ground will bring about different results than growing seeds in other types of ground.
You cannot grow a seed in its own material (plant seeds cannot be used on plant tiles, for example).

Putting a PLANT seed in the two different kinds of EARTH will result in two different plants! Weird? Sure. A good idea? I have no idea.
That's the concept I'm rolling with right now, though. Hopefully there will not be an excessive number of combinations!

1 ~ Some combinations will not create a totally different growth but rather create a subtly modified version.

2 ~ There may be text hints once you have tried a combination to let you know what the combination will result in. Maybe!

3 ~ I am still unsure about where 'bad stuff' comes from. I think that I'm leaning towards a single 'bad seed' that will grow into whatever it wants no matter where you place it, and these 'bad things' that come from the bad seeds will almost never go away. Killing or trapping them requires a good deal of cleverness. I need to make sure I can do that but also keep lag down, and make running away from them not so easy (since objects deactivate if they get too far away).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 09:18:09 PM by Droqen » Logged

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »

WELCOME TO DAY FIVE OF NINE

was there an undiscovered secret here???
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 10:33:22 PM by Droqen » Logged

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2010, 10:36:15 PM »

I think that bad seeds being inconsistent with the ground you gut them on is a good idea, so you can't have ready-made traps for them. Bad seeds should be slow though, so you need to think to get rid of it, not just have good reflexes. (Although they could come in handy.)

Ninja edit: There needs to be some sort of vertical movement helper. Those are just suggestions. (Stairs?)

I made it up 10 blocks above starting level. I just made a giant mass of plant and hoped it would grow for a long time.  Also, no lag in actual game conditions.

If you enclose yourself in plant matter, and then grow a plant on yourself, you get stuck.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2010, 11:59:38 PM »

Having something grow on top of you while you're too deeply buried will kill you :3
(I read all of that though mokesmoe thanks it will come in handy. I'll respond better tomorrow)
John Sandoval, here is your screenshot:

iffi
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2010, 12:05:58 AM »

I love that player character! (and the rest of it, but especially the player character)
RCIX
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2010, 01:06:23 AM »

I can't work the seed planter, space bar does nothing Sad
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2010, 07:43:31 AM »

how do i tell fps?

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2010, 08:23:05 AM »

JMickle, I removed the FPS counter. I wonder if I can customize its appearance...

RCIX, that's... really odd D:
Are you sure you're playing the right version?

iffi, thanks :3
---> it's funny, someone was chewing me out the other day for not making a nicer player character.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2010, 04:09:21 PM »

Your characters look really simple, but they are not easy to make. I've tried.

Also: My house:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic