Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 04:08:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBallsy - WIP
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ballsy - WIP  (Read 3461 times)
Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 10, 2010, 10:31:07 AM »

Hello, my name is Keith.  I had posted in the introductory thread, and some of you may know me from some other forums and irc chatrooms.  I read a screenshot was obligatory.  You can see from the screenshot below it doesn't look like much.

Here's a link to my blog post with the actual playable (flash) game - http://www.gamesafoot.com/2010/10/09/my-latest-game/

If you want to rip into it for it not being so impressive feel free, I won't feel bad :-)

Just play around with it, let me know what you think.

iffi
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 11:04:58 AM »

It's not so bad - at least you have something made, unlike me.
But I'm not so sure what I'm supposed to do in the game - is it just to avoid the walls?
bicilotti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 11:15:38 AM »

It's not so bad - at least you have something made, unlike me.
But I'm not so sure what I'm supposed to do in the game - is it just to avoid the walls?

I am too a bit puzzled by this puzzle and ask for rules explanation. Love the retro style though!

PANPOMMA
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 11:27:21 AM »

Nice thing, I like a good thing me.
Igor Hardy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 11:31:56 AM »

Experiments in minimalistic design, eh?

It's definitely a gamey enough concept, though I found myself dying very quickly and I didn't figure out how the barriers work (some make you bounce, others end the game).

Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 09:37:32 PM »

http://www.gamesafoot.com/2010/10/19/the-next-iteration-of-ballsy/

Igor - indeed.

To the rest, some extra explanations may be coming forthwith -- but don't hold your breath ;-)

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 09:48:56 PM »

Kickin it old school

JoeManaco
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 11:53:46 AM »

I think you should make scrollable race-track-like maps and the players accelerates smoothly and has to control the ball through the map. The player should be able to collect power-ups to slowdown the balls speed.

Although simlpe core mechanics could turn out great, yours is a little bit too simple, I think. Work it out with a more complex world and it could be fun.

Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 04:00:26 PM »

Ok, ok.  I know as soon as I lay down a somewhat lengthy post in my own thread it's sure to kill it.  That's what always happens.  But since you've been so nice as to even look at it, and actually have replied to it, I'll explain this a little bit.

The idea for the modes came from the fact that I had a lot of different ideas for this game, and the fact that some of those old atari 2600 games had 27, 66, 112 "games" or however many variations.  So I figured it would be best to make the game configurable until I could get the main part of the code done.  I do realize that 1, 1, 1 is very very boring.  Actually I could speed it up quite a bit, so that it gets really hard, but I will explain the modes in detail below.

In any case here's a problem.  The original game of keeping a ball in play and keeping it from hitting the walls while the ball speeds up is in an old qbasic games book.  I did that for a LudumDare compeition (in c/c++ and haafs game engine).  So then I had a friend program me a version that plays like simon, you have to hit the walls in a sequence while the ball is speeding up.  This is fairly fun.  But we didn't get it finished because he got busy and I got busy.  So I decided eventually to learn as3 and flixel and/or flashpunk (this game uses flashpunk).  So now back to the problem and that is the barrier modes are 2 types.  There are 4 modes where lit up walls kill you.  There are 4 simon modes.  So essentially it's two games even though i have 8 modes for all of them.  So my problem is whether or not to even keep the killing modes in there.  Although if you choose barrier modes 1-4 and any playfield type above 1, the game might be more interesting.  So do I kill the "kill" barrier modes and just do the simon ones, or do I leave it in and somehow make it more fun with the inclusion of the playfield types?  In a sense these are two different games but in another they're alot similar.  One you avoid walls, the other you hit walls on purpose.

Okay so now on to the description of modes -- this is going to be a bit long too.
So firstly we have 4 control modes which are orthogonal-normal, diagonal-normal, ortho-reverse, diag-reverse --  What this means is in the ortho modes it's up, down, left, right (probably most of you knew that), the diagonal ones are pretty self explanatory, as well as "normal" and "reverse" -- btw, the diagonal responds to the regular arrow keys as well... so up and down manipulate the y-axis, and left-right the x-axis -- makes it a bit more challenging.  And of course in reverse if you hit down you move up and so on.

Next we have the barrier types that you know of... we have 1)"kill all" which is all the walls are lit, and you can't hit it, 2) random wall is lit up, 3) a wall is lit up and every so often rotated clock wise, and 4) rotated counter clockwise, then simon modes for 5-8, which is 5 - simon -- you have to hit a sequence of walls in the order they're shown, and each level gets successively longer, 6) simon reverse -- obviously you have to hit the walls in reverse sequence, then there's 7) chase -- which is the ball is moving and after one wall lights up you have to hit it, and wait for the next wall to light up, so you're essentially chasing it around, and Cool chase -opposite wall, you have to hit the opposite wall of the one that lights up, other wise same as 7...

Finally we have the playfield types, the first one being an open playfield.  2) is ghost ball, where teh ball mimics your ball in reverse, and you can't touch it.  There is a period of time when both balls are in the center touching, but once you move away from that center it will turn on the collision, 3) is static obstacles, which are randomly placed each level that you have to avoid, 4) are moving objects which move horizontally or vertically depending on the level, 5) is a shrinking playfield, basically same as open except the walls start moving in toward the center, 6) interval is an invisibility mode, which means it flashes visible at a certain interval of time, each level getting longer and longer, 7) "pad" mode is where your ball is completely invisible but you have to make sure you don't hit the walls, and the only way you can know that is by watching pads on the playfield light up, Cool is similar except your ball appears when over a pad on the playfield. 9) is a snake mode... basically you speed up as you eat more "food", in 10) is reverse snake, where it slows you down as you eat the food...

So there's all the modes explained... I've still got to figure out how to group them for my final version.

Thanks for reading.
Keith

Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 02:11:41 PM »

Ballsy - almost final

« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 03:01:40 PM by Uhfgood » Logged

Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 08:28:43 PM »

By the way would anyone play it a little while and give feedback on the actual game itself.  This will give me an idea whether it's worth my time to polish it up or not.

Thanks,
Uhfgood

Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 11:10:52 PM »

Basically I added some sounds (and some description to each level), and called it done, I then proceeded to create a games page and add it to IndieFlux my game review website.

So hopefully that will drive traffic to IndieFlux and then maybe earn some views which will in turn get me some adds from project wonderful.  I don't know if I'll make any money with this game, it's probably kind of lame, but still it was fun to essentially complete my 4th game (that was actually of my own design and coding).

I'm going to continue to work on the game though, and when I have polished it enough, I might take it down and put it on FlashGamesLicense --  I sort of doubt I will get a sponsor though.

To play the full size version go here -
Ballsy!  Challenge Version

jeffrobot
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 02:34:20 AM »

Hey uhfgood,

After getting 4 or 5 deep into barrier mode, I started having a good time.

Some of the wacky controls in control mode, are interesting, but it was all about barrier mode to me.

I would advise cutting all the modes that aren't awesome. Which to me was everything up until barrier 5, I think. I know you want to do the atari-hundreds-of-games thing, but you can't force people to test out all these game modes looking for a fun one, it's not gonna work. Try having ONE mode, no control adjustments, but as players progress the game begins throwing new control schemes at them.

Also, I probably don't need to tell you, but work on the graphics. People are gonna look at your game and go "wtf?" and skip to the next zombie-murdering game. Personally, I think this is/could be as fun/funner than those zombie games, though.

to reiterate:
-strip out all the unfun modes so that people don't quit before they start being challenged/having fun.
-don't ask people to find their own mode from among modes, unless you create an awesome interface that explains the mode, and there are only a handful of modes to choose from.
-make a "campaign" or something that people can play through and get a taste of all the different modes.

That's my advice.
Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 11:29:19 AM »

jeffrobot - Thanks for the input, however I wanted to ask if you've actually played the latest version.  You don't select modes anymore, in fact there are just options 1-5, the playfield types, and the control modes change as you progress through the levels.

While I totally agree that some boring stuff needs to be cut out, it should probably be from the latest version :-)

My guess is you played the earlier versions and didn't bother with the last link I posted.

Thanks again for trying it out though!

kidchameleon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 01:39:56 PM »

I like it, played latest version. It could do with some sound and perhaps an explanation of how to play each game type. Well done, keep working away at it.
jeffrobot
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 02:10:12 AM »

uhfgood,

You are indeed correct. I played the wrong version.

I don't have time to to much testing of the current one, but I'll say one thing.

About the Simon Says mode, did you ever consider not stopping gameplay in between rounds? Figuring out a way to keep the ball rolling (pun, haha) and have the next pattern just appear immediately? I ask because the rounds are so short, it made stopping between each one (for me) a little annoying. It's like every 10 seconds. If the game never took a break, it might make it more exciting by maintaining tension/excitement. Did you consider implementing something like this? I'm interested to hear your thoughts.
Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 10:36:52 PM »

Okay I've added a few things -- the flashpunk logo, a title screen.  A pause screen that pauses whenever it loses focus.  A death animation, some tweaks on the gameplay -- except from now on I'm posting it to indieflux from here on out.

I still have some more tweaks to work out...  And I'm going to add a "time attack" mode (I'm considering bringing back the ability to choose your barrier modes, control modes, and playfield types -- The time attack mode will have no levels, just how long can you last.  I'm going to somehow get highscores into the game...  And I'm going to do something special for the sounds in simon mode.

So it's not entirely finished yet but I figure a week or two more and I'll be completely done.  (Well then is the matter of actually putting it into a tv and 70's game system graphic to justify the low resolution -- I'm considering that... but first I need to completely finish the game itself).

So without further ado --
http://indieflux.com/games/ballsy/

jeffrobot - The simon modes increase a step each level.  So it actually does get longer each time.  I suppose I could have not had a pause, or could have made level one say 7 steps instead of 3... We'll see how it goes.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic