Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412109 Posts in 69451 Topics- by 58490 Members - Latest Member: tzdevil

June 28, 2024, 09:06:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)IndieLib - Rapid Game Development and Prototyping in c++
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: IndieLib - Rapid Game Development and Prototyping in c++  (Read 21890 times)
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 03:56:11 AM »

This is screenshot from a stress test of IndieLib. The .exe is inside the SDK (complete source code). You can download and try it, the name of the example is c_01_Alien_BenchMark.exe (use the mouse right, left and wheel buttons and keyboard arrows).

In this example, I made the graphics myself, after purchasing Harvest - Massive Encounter. It's just "fun art" Smiley

Hehe yeah, I noticed it was all new artwork. Quite fun indeed! Smiley

Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 05:44:46 AM »

Ah! I didn't know you were from Oxeye Smiley

I put these graphics some time ago in oxeye forums Wink
Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2008, 07:10:57 AM »

IndieLib is now OpenSource under LGPL license!

http://www.indielib.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48
Hajo
Level 5

Dream Mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2008, 07:19:54 AM »

That's a very generous step Gentleman

Per aspera ad astra
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2008, 11:17:04 AM »

Coolio!  Grin

If this gets OpenGL/Linux support I might have use for this...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 11:21:10 AM by Skofo » Logged

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 12:01:10 PM »

If this gets OpenGL/Linux support I might have use for this...

Maybe in the future... why don't you join the competition and try the features?

Smiley

Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2008, 07:40:32 AM »

¡Video! Of some of the tutorials.

http://www.indielib.com/indielib-video/
Neo1493
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2008, 12:44:53 PM »

very impresive I might end up using this for my 2d games
Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2008, 03:21:52 AM »

very impresive I might end up using this for my 2d games

Great! You can start by joining the competition.
Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2008, 09:56:13 AM »

Small release (1.02): http://www.indielib.com/

Mock Anger Use it or a bite you! Mock Anger
Batmanifestdestiny
Level 1

When life gives you lemons, make an internet craze

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2008, 10:09:36 PM »

I'm learning C++, and so far I haven't gotten past text stuff, with very little user input, would indielib help me to learn how to use real graphics and more input?  If I used it, would I become addicted to its ease, and forget all of my C++ knowledge?

"Sweet Sacajewea, Batmanifestdestiny!  We've struck GOLD!" -Joseph, Utah Wonder

You have to plagierize the Italian.
increpare
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2008, 03:39:10 AM »

I'm learning C++, and so far I haven't gotten past text stuff, with very little user input, would indielib help me to learn how to use real graphics and more input?  If I used it, would I become addicted to its ease, and forget all of my C++ knowledge?
IndieLib is C++-based, from what I gather (the title)...so I don't see how this could be a reasonable eventuality...

(there are a lot of C++-based games development libraries out there; if you google them).

Programming in OpenGL made me unlearn a lot of my C++ good habits, though  Sad
mirosurabu
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2008, 04:51:51 AM »

I've checked out IndieLib and from what I could see it's not really "Rapid Development library" as author tends to make it sound. Some other game libraries like PyGame and Allegro seem to be equally or even simpler to program in.

But nevertheless I don't see how you could forget your C++ knowledge using any of these libraries.

Programming in OpenGL made me unlearn a lot of my C++ good habits, though.

Why? I've never used Direct3D so I'd like to know which good C++ habits I am lacking when using OGL. Smiley
increpare
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2008, 05:12:47 AM »

Why?
Because it's entirely C-based?  If one doesn't take care to wrap or otherwise quarantine it (which I didn't), one ends up at best a hybrid C/C++ language.  If one works to the whims of OpenGL (And to some extent this is, one can avoid structs and classes entirely, working with arrays all the way.

I've never used Direct3D so I'd like to know which good C++ habits I am lacking when using OGL. Smiley
Well Direct3D, for one, has reasonably idiomatic C++-bindings.
Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2008, 09:15:11 AM »

I'm learning C++, and so far I haven't gotten past text stuff, with very little user input, would indielib help me to learn how to use real graphics and more input?

Definitely, yes. Just check out the tutorials on the wiki. You will see how easily you can manage input and graphics using IndieLib. You can start here. And don't forget to join IndieLib forums. Doubts are really welcome:)

If I used it, would I become addicted to its ease, and forget all of my C++ knowledge?

Definitely, no. You can use IndieLib methods as you wish. It is just a set of classes and methods. Is up to you how you create design your source code project. IndieLib dosen't force you to use any special metodology. It is just c++, and calling IndieLib methods when you want to use them.

I've checked out IndieLib and from what I could see it's not really "Rapid Development library" as author tends to make it sound. Some other game libraries like PyGame and Allegro seem to be equally or even simpler to program in.

How bad person this author is!  Evil He is an evil!

I think he should have added: "Rapid Development Library [using c++]" Smiley

Here you have a small project of someone of the forums. He is making a prototype of an strategical spaceship game. I think he prototyped it REALLY fast. But maybe is not thanks to IndieLib but because he is Sweden... you know... Sweden are the game making machines :D

If you want to prototype something fast [using c++], IndieLib is a good option. But not only for prototypes, also for finished games, of course. Just check out the examples that comes with the SDK.

One Beer! for the one who uses it! Hey! Come on! It's free! Open source! Give it a try! Make me happy!

« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 09:19:44 AM by Loover » Logged
Batmanifestdestiny
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2008, 08:06:41 PM »

Sweden are the game making machines :D
That's so true.  As soon as I get my buttocks at a library(at a friends house...forgot to bring my thumbdrives Sad)I might just check this out!  If this truly helps me with adding more input into my games(so far I've made a number echoer...and that's about it.) then I will sacrifice a football player in your honor  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2008, 06:14:15 AM »

I will sacrifice a football player in your honor

Cool  Gentleman
Batmanifestdestiny
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2009, 01:59:12 PM »

sooo....I downloaded IndieLib, and I saw the .exe's... but where's the actual library?

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2009, 03:36:53 PM »

Allegro sucks big hairy goat balls compared to indielib features, but too bad that this one is only for win

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2009, 05:43:17 PM »

sooo....I downloaded IndieLib, and I saw the .exe's... but where's the actual library?

That means I did something wrong in the tutorials and they are not explained well enough. Dont' worry, I'll guide you through the process. Remember that you can also post under "Help" section on the IndieLib forums.

Let's start with the first tutorial: Installing. Please, check it out if you haven't yet. If there is something not explained enough, please, tell me, so I can fix it.

When you download the SDK the folder tree is as follows:
Code:
The folder tree of the SDK is as follows:

* documentation

* html

* Tutorials

* exe

* vc2008 - Executable files compiled with vc2008 and .dll that each IndieLib project needs.
                * resources - graphical staff

* tutorials

* common - IndieLib includes, and IndieLib .lib file. These files are neccesary for linking an IndieLib project.
                * [For each tutorial folder]

* common - source files of the example
                    * vc2008 - vc2008 project files

So, everything is ready for you to start by modifying "IndieLib_SDK\tutorials\source\a_01_Installing". Or you can create your own project from scratch (explained in the tutorial).

IndieLib needs smart developers in order to be ported. Come on! Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic