Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411914 Posts in 69430 Topics- by 58477 Members - Latest Member: KriegsHetzer

June 10, 2024, 01:19:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Game creator tools chance on indie / casual market
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Game creator tools chance on indie / casual market  (Read 1505 times)
ldmn
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2010, 02:18:01 AM »

Greetings to the Maestros,

as a novice game creation tool (Construct) user, would enquire if you think
game creator tools (esp. Construct) have a good chance on indie / casual market for suitable game creation?
Game Maker for example is so popular, can man earn money with its creations?
Are these game creator tools mature enough or they are better recommended for simple hoppyists?

thanx if you have some thoughts.
ink.inc
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 07:14:36 AM »

If you're good enough at what you do, it doesn't matter what tools you use. Game Maker and Construct can get the job done; it's up to the developer to add that level of polish.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 08:18:29 AM »

game creator tools (esp. Construct) have a good chance on indie / casual market for suitable game creation?
Are these game creator tools mature enough or they are better recommended for simple hoppyists?

Are you German?

OT: I'm pretty sure people have earned money from software created using at least Game Maker, and at least the user agreement allows people to do so.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 08:33:39 AM »

Are you German?

OT: I'm pretty sure people have earned money from software created using at least Game Maker, and at least the user agreement allows people to do so.
There are many commercial games made with gameMaker or BlitzBasic or Blitzmax.
It seems that a lot of the "hidden object games" are made with GM.
As for construct it's still a bit young so I don't know.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 09:07:54 AM »

Are you German?

There are many commercial games made with gameMaker or BlitzBasic or Blitzmax.
It seems that a lot of the "hidden object games" are made with GM.
As for construct it's still a bit young so I don't know.
Oh, yes. Not to forget good, old Blitz, of course.

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 11:51:50 AM »

You would need to check the liscencing for Construct, but most game creation tools allow you to sell the games you make with them commercially. And as long as you can make it and sell it, the tool is only a means to an end. The tool itself isn't as important as your skill at using it. From what I can tell from Construct, it has all the features necessary to make a decent indie game, even one that is sold commercially.

A more pressing question would be what sales platform you are shooting for. This will dramatically affect your ability to sell the game you construct. If you intend to release the game on the PC, you need to look into possible sales systems. Maybe you want to integrate it with Steam, in which case you will need to pitch Valve on your title. Maybe you want to use your own sales system, or perhaps go through PayPal. All of these factors can affect your choice of game creation system / engines.
ldmn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 11:15:23 PM »

Are you German?

No no, although I learn it, and sometimes it overwrites my non-native English, too.  Sad

You would need to check the liscencing for Construct, but most game creation tools allow you to sell the games you make with them commercially. And as long as you can make it and sell it, the tool is only a means to an end. The tool itself isn't as important as your skill at using it. From what I can tell from Construct, it has all the features necessary to make a decent indie game, even one that is sold commercially.

A more pressing question would be what sales platform you are shooting for. This will dramatically affect your ability to sell the game you construct. If you intend to release the game on the PC, you need to look into possible sales systems. Maybe you want to integrate it with Steam, in which case you will need to pitch Valve on your title. Maybe you want to use your own sales system, or perhaps go through PayPal. All of these factors can affect your choice of game creation system / engines.

As for Construct's license, it allows commercial production. But its being so young makes me uncertain if it can create worthy games.
Thanx for selling tips, yes, this will be another great topic, but first I should find the suitable tool for development. Happy that GameMaker,and things that you mentioned have already proved their worthiness. Anyway, heard so many good tidings about Construct, maybe it is also worthy to developers' attention? I am at novice-intermediate level with it, and hope to achieve my aim.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic