Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 08:05:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Use the NES palette on stuff!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Use the NES palette on stuff!  (Read 24287 times)
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 12:04:26 PM »

Because ... I just made it?  Grin

Actually the image above is from something I wrote that uses a Kuler-color-grabbing API, so whenever I want to play with new colors in my code I can just create palettes there and then kaZAM it's in my program.

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2008, 12:12:23 PM »

Oh okay. Yay! Grin

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 12:46:56 PM »

Not sure all-puce is a good idea. So much pink may be potentially dangerous to your corneas. And masculinity.

Not that I have any, really.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Lazer
Level 3

:S

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2008, 01:13:22 PM »

Not sure all-puce is a good idea. So much pink may be potentially dangerous to your corneas. And masculinity.

What, masculinity or corneas?
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2008, 01:19:19 PM »

What, masculinity or corneas?

Take a wild guess.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2008, 10:33:13 PM »

Because ... I just made it?  Grin

Actually the image above is from something I wrote that uses a Kuler-color-grabbing API, so whenever I want to play with new colors in my code I can just create palettes there and then kaZAM it's in my program.

I am so using this in the Eegra 1st annual game shindig.

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2008, 10:55:55 PM »

I was going to suggest a colour contest, but apparently one that is one that is ALREADY HAPPENING.

It's unfortunate that I'm so burnt out from school, or I'd definitely participate.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2008, 10:58:19 PM »

While it's true that short-term exposure to Baker-Miller Pink (also called Drunk Tank Pink) can reduce the heart rate and lower aggression and anxiety, long-term exposure to the same shade of pink can have a reverse effect of increased levels of aggression and stress.  Some people exposed to it long term even exhibit psychotic behavior.

Thanks color theory class, for that useless tidbit of information.

tweet tweet @j_younger
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2008, 12:58:14 AM »

> Use the NES palette on stuff

You don't see a stuff here.
Zaphos
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2008, 01:41:07 AM »

While it's true that short-term exposure to Baker-Miller Pink (also called Drunk Tank Pink) can reduce the heart rate and lower aggression and anxiety, long-term exposure to the same shade of pink can have a reverse effect of increased levels of aggression and stress.  Some people exposed to it long term even exhibit psychotic behavior.

Thanks color theory class, for that useless tidbit of information.
That sounds like it might actually be kinda useful in designing a game.  You could switch to a drunk tank pink palette in small areas to modulate the player's mood, for example.  Or perhaps an invincibility power up could shift all the colors of the world toward drunk tank pink, so even though there's a time limit it's feels relaxing to be invincible ...
I suppose it's a small thing, but still seems neat Smiley
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2008, 01:53:53 AM »

Actually I'm not so sure it'd be all that useful for a game.  If I remember right it's something like 10-20 minutes for the calming effect to kick in, and up to several hours for the effect to reverse.  Plus you pretty much have to be in an all-pink environment like, well, a drunk tank.  Or that room they put you in at Disneyland when you kick the guy in the Goofy suit.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Zaphos
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2008, 02:19:35 AM »

Actually I'm not so sure it'd be all that useful for a game.  If I remember right it's something like 10-20 minutes for the calming effect to kick in, and up to several hours for the effect to reverse.  Plus you pretty much have to be in an all-pink environment like, well, a drunk tank.  Or that room they put you in at Disneyland when you kick the guy in the Goofy suit.
... it really wouldn't work if you just convinced the user to look at a drunk pink computer screen for 10-20 minutes?  They need to be in a pink room with their computer?  I was thinking the computer screen takes up a significant enough percentage of your view (certainly your focus is within it) that it might kind of work with just the screen.
I guess either way 10-20 minutes is quite slow, though.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2008, 07:19:45 AM »

Tell them to lean in real close for a really long time.

Failing that, package the game with a new peripheral: USB manacles. "I'm sorry, but in order to further your enjoyment of this game, we can't let you escape."

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2008, 10:08:24 AM »

> Use the NES palette on stuff

You don't see a stuff here.

TIGS threads have a tendency of derayling from simple activities to deep discussions.

That's probably because we're intelligent people, unlike most other forums, where their inhabitants have the attention and memory span of a fish. They see a thread like this, they do what's asked of them, lol around a bit, then walk off as their small brains forget the whole deal.

But not here. Here we have homo sapiens sapiens. We are intelligent, you ask us to use NES Palette, we don't USE it, we discuss its meaning and purpose within our chaotic universe in a desperate attempt at finding some peace of mind. Yet, we never find any.

Tigers are intelligent.

That is our curse.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 10:10:57 AM by Melly » Logged

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2008, 11:09:00 AM »

Lemon Demon forum = TIGForums

TIGForums = Lemon Demon forum

Y'all are the same.

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2008, 12:01:41 PM »

That's probably because we're intelligent people, unlike most other forums, where their inhabitants have the attention and memory span of a fish. They see a thread like this, they do what's asked of them, lol around a bit, then walk off as their small brains forget the whole deal.

Sorry, man, but studies actually indicate that fish have pretty good memories. It's a myth that they can only remember things for a few seconds.

What up?

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Lazer
Level 3

:S

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2008, 11:50:58 PM »

oh that reminds me, I forgot to post this before the board died:

the nes palette is just oodles of fun.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2008, 02:35:39 AM »

I'm confusing. Do you just use the image as a guide, or is there some program you run it through to make a palette out of it?
Either way, this is going to come in handy when/if Chinese Bootleg Demakes comes up.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2008, 05:06:42 AM »

I'm confusing. Do you just use the image as a guide, or is there some program you run it through to make a palette out of it?
Either way, this is going to come in handy when/if Chinese Bootleg Demakes comes up.

The former.

joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2008, 06:08:46 AM »

The former.

Although I was messing around in Photoshop and thinking of making a color table file for the NES palette.  Then you can auto-convert images into that palette, I think.

Shoot, but now that I've mentioned it, I should probably just do it and then upload the file somewhere.

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic