Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 02:55:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignMusical Gameplay Idea
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Musical Gameplay Idea  (Read 2798 times)
Chrissketch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 09, 2008, 06:15:56 PM »

Something on BoingBoing caught my attention:

"Vimeo user Flight404 uploaded a triptastic collection of hyperdelic music visualizations."

This started me thinking about two games.

AudioSurf proved that that outside music can create compelling ways to affect gameplay and user experience. As opposed to something like Rez where music was important, but was a side affect of a pre-determined level environment and user interaction.

Warning Forever blew me away with the way it made an evolving boss the core component of play.

Now what if someone combined these things into a bullet-hell shmup composed of a series of procedurally produced bosses and attack cycles as determined by whatever music you put into the game? Note, the graphics wouldn't have to be mind blowing, they just have to relate to the beat and intensity of the music being analyzed.

Its just a thought I had, if someone wants to run with it go ahead. My programming skills end somewhere between "Hello" and "World" so I won't be attempting this. I can only imagine the nightmare it would be, not only to program this, but to do so in a way that would make a fun game. Otherwise, I think its feasible.
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 06:20:13 PM »

I may be wrong but I think some of the entries in the first Gamma tried to do this a bit.  Definitely procedural/FFT/music integrated gameplay is an area ripe for continued exploration.

@doomlaser, mark johns
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 06:45:37 PM »

I was playing with kinda the inverse of this idea recently, thinking about what it would be like if in playing a game the player constructed a piece of music. It's a bit like the core Polychromatic Funk Monkey idea where the player constructs the level. I dunno where this is going really, but it's fun to think about.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 09:37:34 PM »

I definitely want to do something music-related at some point, because the FFT is easy and fun to play with, but it's way out there on the back burner somewhere.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 07:07:53 AM »

I was playing with kinda the inverse of this idea recently, thinking about what it would be like if in playing a game the player constructed a piece of music. It's a bit like the core Polychromatic Funk Monkey idea where the player constructs the level. I dunno where this is going really, but it's fun to think about.

Not to dissuade you from making something awesome, but if you want some inspiration (or maybe to just look at it and go, "Eh, I'd do a bunch of stuff differently"), here's a game that was going for the same music-making goal:

http://silverspaceship.com/beatit/

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 02:36:45 PM »

Those videos you showed there on that first post are inspiring. I didn't know you could do that kinda stuff with Processing.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic