Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 06:12:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBetween the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea  (Read 13383 times)
AaronG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2010, 05:01:32 PM »

Just a note, the boom on you're sail is way to long the center of effort would be way too far back in the boat as drawn. Should either be shortened up a bit or the mast moved forward.

I know it sounds kind of pedantic but to anybody that sails or sees a lot of sail boats, the current layout looks... off.

I didn't notice this at first, but now that it's been mentioned the mast does feel too far back.  Good catch, and seconded.
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2010, 08:26:22 PM »

Love it so far.  Smiley
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2010, 09:43:42 PM »

@tsameti - Thanks for the info about the sinking. I do think I will implement it soon, but I don't think I'll need to be as mathematically dense as yours, just a simple decrease in velocity_y will do.

@magnum_opus - I honestly couldn't tell that the boat's sail wasn't physically correct. And I am hoping that the general demographic of players who play this game won't either. But hey, if alot of people do complain, I might change it. It seems fine as is. Smiley

Anyhow, I've been working hard on perfecting the procedural placement of treasure. Currently got it to a good state. Going to stream in new art assets as I receive them as well. So stay tuned!

And thanks again for such nice words. Peace!

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2010, 11:18:15 PM »

this is looking damn fine, damn damn fine I say.

jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2010, 04:40:00 AM »

Just a heads up, the link to your artist's website (Michael Hussinger's) is broken in the credits section below the game container. You left out the '.com' on the link.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2010, 06:52:42 AM »

I really like the look & feel of this game. The underwater areas look a bit bland at the moment though, but that's gonna change as the project moves along, right?
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2010, 10:58:24 AM »

I really like the look & feel of this game. The underwater areas look a bit bland at the moment though, but that's gonna change as the project moves along, right?

Yep, been working heavily on polishing the overworld. Now I am working full-speed on the underwater levels. Hopefully, there will be some fighting gameplay quite soon!

Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2010, 11:09:32 AM »

Oh man this is the kind of game I'm content to play even if there is nothing to do. The atmosphere is so cozy.
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2010, 09:30:28 PM »

Added features:
  • Began integrating new underwater assets. Still need to replace placeholder tiles to make it complete.
  • You can also swim around and blow up orange fish. They don't have AI implemented, but will be coming song.
  • New sailing song!

Alot of code has been poured into coding a solid and efficient framework to handle such a huge environment of sprites. I've just implemented and tested it.

So now that it's complete, I can begin to code the enemies and battle system!

[ Link ]
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 10:29:59 PM by eddietree » Logged

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2010, 10:09:52 PM »

Those backgrounds are amazing!
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2010, 10:32:09 PM »

I enjoyed it quite a bit! It has the great fun of Wasabi with a lot of style.

But, I reallyreally hate to be that guy, but the whole "save yo girlfriend" thing is so worn out to me, it's basically lazy and slightly misogynist.

Anyway, keep it up man.

Edit: I effin' love the characters, they all have wicked personality, even the chick. That's why her gameplay role worries me.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 08:24:41 AM by unsilentwill » Logged

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2010, 10:39:22 PM »

but the whole "save yo girlfriend" thing is so worn out to me, it's basically lazy and slightly misogynist.

Thanks for calling my game concept lazy and misogynist. You're way too kind!  Gentleman

And I'm glad you enjoyed Wasabi.  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2010, 04:46:19 AM »

If you look carefully, the hero himself never states it's his girlfriend - it could well be his cousin, his aunt or his department head of finance.

The GF idea rather appears to be a fabrication of the ignorant, chauvinist town lifeguard, who will surely receive a harsh scolding and a juicy fine during the court scene finale. <-- Spoiler  Tongue

Seriously, it's a retro-styled game that's light on story. I wouldn't see this as a platform for refined social commentary... and even in that case, you can find some in the characterization of the other actors, if you look quite closely  Smiley

(← new art twitter)
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2010, 09:05:46 AM »

This is pretty awesome thus far. For the shops, will you have all of the prices increase as you buy them? Cause I just decked out my gun to shoot, like, a billion bullets for 100 per upgrade. Also, when sailing, the character and the boat kinda vibrate oddly.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 09:23:08 AM by McMutton » Logged
Renton
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »

DUDE! Have a female sea monster kidnap the player's gay lover. That'll show 'em.
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2010, 10:45:06 AM »

DUDE! Have a female sea monster kidnap the player's gay lover. That'll show 'em.

Progressive. Yum!

Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2010, 12:06:23 PM »

"Venture out into the vast blue seas and find out more about your girlfriend than you ever dared to ask!"

(← new art twitter)
James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2010, 02:34:30 PM »

Pretty cool man. Reminds me of how I always wanted to make a game that played roughtly like the NES game "Jaws" only not Jaws themed and actually fleshed out and good with levels that were more than one screen wide and had actual things to find in them other than enemies.

The sailing really gives me a good feeling of sailing out on the open ocean; you know that weird exposed feeling you get once your sight of land starts to get smaller and smaller when you're on a boat and you're a total land luber?

It feels sort of weird now how you can't surface anywhere to breath and have to go back to the arrow. I mean logically you have to go back to your boat to board it but I don't buy just drowning cause I couldn't make it to my boat yet could make it to the water's surface.

I'd like some other mechanic when you're swiming than just shooting, maybe hooking or netting things to take back to your boat? Also, some sort of sonar or other logical inticator of where you are over when you are in the boat would be nice I think, right now it just feels like randomly jumping down and not really being able to mark or notice interesting things you might find. But perhaps that's already what you intend with that line marker thing.

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2010, 07:30:09 PM »

It feels sort of weird now how you can't surface anywhere to breath and have to go back to the arrow. I mean logically you have to go back to your boat to board it but I don't buy just drowning cause I couldn't make it to my boat yet could make it to the water's surface.

True, I guess my game is an over-abstraction of reality in that sense. The reason why I defined that mechanic that way is because I want the player to always be near the boat, in which venturing far from the boat means greater risk and more danger.

As for the shooting. I am definitely planning for the game play to only shoot projectiles. I currently only have the primary gun implemented, I plan to be implementing the secondary gun soon. As for the gimmicky mechanics like hooking or netting, not sure how that is going to work within the game. It's a nice thought though..

Updates
Small update for the day. Graphical improvements and changing alot of placeholder assets.

Now onto coding some enemies..

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2010, 07:54:56 PM »

oh fuck yea

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic