Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411472 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 11:43:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBetween the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea  (Read 13390 times)
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2010, 08:35:26 PM »

It feels sort of weird now how you can't surface anywhere to breath and have to go back to the arrow. I mean logically you have to go back to your boat to board it but I don't buy just drowning cause I couldn't make it to my boat yet could make it to the water's surface.

True, I guess my game is an over-abstraction of reality in that sense. The reason why I defined that mechanic that way is because I want the player to always be near the boat, in which venturing far from the boat means greater risk and more danger.

Why not make it 'stamina' or something similar? You could maybe allow the player to swim along the surface for a decreased rate of stamina loss for slightly less tense boat-return, and you'd still 'drown' when you run out of it, as you've exhausted yourself to the point of not being able to swim any further.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2010, 08:36:31 PM »

What a fun, good looking, and interesting game! Keep up the awesome ideas!
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2010, 09:53:42 PM »

Why not make it 'stamina' or something similar? You could maybe allow the player to swim along the surface for a decreased rate of stamina loss for slightly less tense boat-return, and you'd still 'drown' when you run out of it, as you've exhausted yourself to the point of not being able to swim any further.

Very interesting.. Thanks for the tip Drogen!

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2010, 11:48:57 PM »

Reminds me of

on the Spectrum, which is a great game so that's good. On the surface anywhere issue, Scuba Diver would let you surface anywhere, but there where always plenty of jellyfish around so it was still kind of hazardous. Maybe have it so you can surface anywhere, but only replenish you oxygen from the boat, and have more jellyfish the farther from the boat you venture.

Ant
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2010, 01:21:42 AM »

Oh I assumed you where doing a spot of deep sea diving, which was why you could only surface when you grab on to the boat line as a sort of 'pull me up' type of device.

I just had another quick play and it's all coming along really nicely! Hand Thumbs Up LeftGrin
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2010, 08:39:16 PM »

No underwater level is complete without lavapits!!

Who, Me??

Seth
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2010, 09:38:48 PM »

Hey this is pretty neat!  Lots of potential here.  I hope you fill out the town a bunch and put in some sidequests  Smiley  I not sure that both the air and health should refill when you get to the boat--I think it would be better if didn't restore health so that it encourage a more careful playstyle so you wouldn't have to head to town so often.  I guess that depends on what the game plays like once you start filling out the underwater, though.
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2010, 10:16:40 PM »

When I jumped underwater for the first time I was slowly killed during a series of dialogue by the main orange fishy

seriously wonderful game. I love all the pixels and the musics, and it kept me entertained for a good while. Can't wait for you to finish it! I hope you make it harder though :x

Delicious
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2010, 06:56:14 AM »

This game is really incredible. The graphics are quite beautiful but simple. =)

Blah Blah Blah <3
Twitter - Zjdelicious
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2010, 08:42:37 AM »

I think Seth's idea is pretty good! Maybe make it so that you can buy full-heal items to stash on your boat, to make it less of an inconvenience to heal yourself -- but still not too difficult, and still keep a sense of trying to remain health?

Very interesting.. Thanks for the tip Drogen!

Droqen! Wink

MaloEspada
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2010, 09:16:12 AM »

This looks fantastic. Will give a try later Smiley

Seafarers rule!
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2010, 12:12:22 PM »

This game is GREAT.

My only suggestions are- I like the art style n I like the animation, but I think it'd be fun in that opening scene for the animation on the tentacle monster to be balls-out completely fucking ridiculous. Like you should break style for a sec and have him come out of nowhere n just go nuts, then leave. I think that'd be fun. He looks pretty lame right now.

Also maybe there could be a side-thing goin on where you have to find 3 specific pieces underwater, and then the weapons guy will build you a drill with which you can drill through walls- or y'know, just some cool item.
I just got bored shootin fish after a while n thought it'd be good to have somethin to look for.
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2010, 04:15:47 PM »

Like you should break style for a sec and have him come out of nowhere n just go nuts, then leave. I think that'd be fun.

The reason why I didn't reveal the monster in the beginning is because I wanted to add a cloud of mystery and tension to the beast. Is he some crazy looking beast? Is he a squid, an octopus? Who knows. All you see is his silhouette below.

Also maybe there could be a side-thing goin on where you have to find 3 specific pieces underwater, and then the weapons guy will build you a drill with which you can drill through walls- or y'know, just some cool item.
I just got bored shootin fish after a while n thought it'd be good to have somethin to look for.

Pretty cool idea. Miniquest might make the game a bit more interesting.. Thanks!

Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2010, 01:05:44 AM »

Spoiler: The true sea monster is actually just a black ellipse set at 50 % Alpha with a retractable tentacle. How's that for a twist? Tongue

(← new art twitter)
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2010, 02:51:24 PM »

Spoiler: The true sea monster is actually just a black ellipse set at 50 % Alpha with a retractable tentacle. How's that for a twist? Tongue

I'd love to see the monster just be a black disk, that'd be hilariously awesome. And it could spawn ANYTHING from it.
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2010, 05:48:05 PM »

So I'm sitting in an Italian restaurant eating dinner, and what do I hear play in the background? "Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea."
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2010, 07:40:47 PM »

So I'm sitting in an Italian restaurant eating dinner, and what do I hear play in the background? "Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea."

LOL, that is great. It makes me happy that you thought of my game. I actually got the name from Thelonious Monk's rendition of that very song.  Didn't learn until after that it was quote a famous song..

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2010, 09:28:48 PM »

Been extremely busy with school lately, but I managed to program in some parallax sunbeams during the break.

Also, a snuggly little dolphin follows you while you are sea-faring!

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2010, 07:59:31 AM »

Aww, he so cute. Look at how cute he is, little dolphin.

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2010, 11:06:48 AM »

Just got to the party on this one. This game is so very lovely! i kept leveling up and shooting fish til I could buy everything. I know it's WIP so I don't expect an endgame, and yet, I felt so sad that I got to the end and couldn't finish. All the more reason to anticipate the final version.

I'll chime in on the gender politics debate, though. I know games aren't necessarily the top platform for doing "deconstruction Of gender binaries," but if we only break down the "save the princess" trope in games that are being deliberately feminist games, there'll always be 50+ Man Saves Woman games to ever handful of Woman Don't Need To Be Saved Or Can Save Themselves Thank You games. I don't think you folks are misogynists, it's a classic trope that people use without analyzing very heavily.

On the flipside, I do think it's pretty rockin' that it's an interracial relationship.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic