Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:59:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsWelcome to the OCTACATHALON
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Welcome to the OCTACATHALON  (Read 16001 times)
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 10, 2008, 06:58:25 AM »

Hey Buddies,
I'm planning on hosting a summer long online game making workshop. It's designed for people who just can't release a game or want to broaden their skills. The plan is to make eight games over the course of 2 weeks each. Once the 2 weeks are done, you are done working on the game. Hopefully this will help people out with time management and project planning.

So I leave this open to TIGSorcerers if they wanna join up, I think I have atleast 10 people at school that are down.

It will live at: www.alvgd.com

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Thanks
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 10:59:00 AM by TeamQuiggan » Logged

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 07:24:18 AM »

Sounds pretty cool.

Sorry about the forum post. I've just always wanted to do that.
team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 07:43:11 AM »

heh, its cool dude, yeah the forums are pretty barren right now, I'm just retooling a dead forum for this, I hope I can get a pile of people on board, there should be more information later today.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 06:42:37 AM »

By the way, the current password to regester is 'Tony'

we are working to make sure everything is ready, it will probably start on may 5

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Headmade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 08:59:18 AM »

This sounds nice, but I have some questions.
What tools will be used or is that up to the individual?
Can you explain a little how you selected the games? To me it seems that there is little technical diversity in the titles. Almost all are single screen games that require little to no AI. I think it would be nice if each game would concentrate on a certain aspect. While one needs a more elaborate AI the other requiers more work in the art department and so on.
the_depraved
Level 1

Smile like a donut.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 10:33:26 AM »

where would it be? or would it be an internet thing?
wait. i don't have a pc in the summer. what will you be using to make the games?

up down left right upper cut.
team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 11:08:08 AM »

This sounds nice, but I have some questions.
What tools will be used or is that up to the individual?

You can use whatever you want aslong as it runs on a windows PC in the end, I know one of the other guys plans on implementing Direct X, others have expressed interest in Actionscript and C#.

Can you explain a little how you selected the games? To me it seems that there is little technical diversity in the titles. Almost all are single screen games that require little to no AI.
That was kinda the point, we chose the games that we felt had a large diversity of game play styles from the early days of video gaming. We also chose games whose design is apparent and easy to emulate. This will allow us to focus more on completion then feature creeping the games into obscurity,

I think it would be nice if each game would concentrate on a certain aspect. While one needs a more elaborate AI the other requiers more work in the art department and so on.
With the ramp of complexity and difficulty our abilities to complete what is necessary within the two weeks, will get stronger. We want to focus on finishing with a strong tint towards programming. Idealy at the end of summer we will have completed 8 complete games. Remember this is also stinted towards those of us who don't have many completed games under our belts and need to understand what it takes. Maybe next summer it will be different, but I think this summer is about hitting the ground sprinting.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 11:12:22 AM »

where would it be? or would it be an internet thing?
wait. i don't have a pc in the summer. what will you be using to make the games?
I'm not sure what I plan on using yet, I may go with Java, as I want to keep my Java skills sharp, but both c# and Python hold promise for me. My focus outside of finishing everyone is to try and document and use good coding practice, as Im a bit too free and wild when it comes to how I write.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
paulreitz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 07:35:10 AM »

Is this still going on? I signed up for the forum, but haven't been accepted yet.

Amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic.
team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 10:14:51 AM »

yeah this is still goin' on, Its just finals week so its pretty busy, next Friday there will be a major update. Everything starts on the fifth. I think you were caught by the spam protection, if you could re apply Ill make sure you get in on it.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 12:19:39 PM »

This seems interesting enough. I suck at programming games with traditional programming languages at the moment though. I could use Construct, but I don't really want to...

paulreitz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 05:28:03 PM »

I tried signing up again, but still haven't heard anything Sad

BTW how's finals go? Smiley

Amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic.
team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 03:41:09 PM »

I tried signing up again, but still haven't heard anything Sad
I've enabled your account so you should be good to go!

BTW how's finals go? Smiley

heh, Ive got 2 games and a paper to write before this is all said and done for the year, we've got a pretty major assignment due on Thursday so that should be fun. I intend to upload my stuffs into the incomplete section when Im done.

This seems interesting enough. I suck at programming games with traditional programming languages at the moment though. I could use Construct, but I don't really want to...
Then don't heh, thats kinda the point, the games shouldn't be vary hard, so it would be easy to strengthen your programming skillz, and there aren't any limits on language so yeah!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Ciardhubh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 11:40:13 PM »

Sounds like a great idea for those of us who never complete their games :D. I guess, it's better to start small and finish something than to abandon your big dream game after weeks of fruitless labour. I'm thinking about entering; weapon of choice is Java.

A few questions, though:
- How close do you have to stick to the original? Say if you are done after one week, can you add additional features that weren't in the original? I'm intruiged by the simplicity of some of the games because it allows you to actually finish something, even if you are busy at that time. But will you be allowed to add more things if you find time?
- Could you provide (links to) versions of the originals, so we know what to implement (when the time comes)? Game 1-5 are pretty obvious but I've never been a fan of consoles, so my knowledge of Donkey Kong is a bit vague. As for Gauntlet, there have been so many remakes that I don't even know which is the original Wink. Oh and what is Sprint?
team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 05:15:04 AM »

- How close do you have to stick to the original? Say if you are done after one week, can you add additional features that weren't in the original? I'm intruiged by the simplicity of some of the games because it allows you to actually finish something, even if you are busy at that time. But will you be allowed to add more things if you find time?
Well, the primary goal is completion, so I wouldn't set the crazyness too high, like water and slowdown areas in pong? good. Unicorns, 3d gameplay, with cellshading and rainbow effects in pong? not so good. Of course, the cooler the game is the more people will like it when it is made, I wouldn't want to see 20 boring square black and white pong games, so I hope people work towards something cool.

- Could you provide (links to) versions of the originals, so we know what to implement (when the time comes)? Game 1-5 are pretty obvious but I've never been a fan of consoles, so my knowledge of Donkey Kong is a bit vague. As for Gauntlet, there have been so many remakes that I don't even know which is the original Wink. Oh and what is Sprint?
I intend to set everything up on Friday, there will be links to the original games, I have found most of them so far. Sprint is a single screen top down racer, where your movement is dictated by rotation and acceleration.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Headmade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 01:35:57 PM »

I signed up too (twice actually), still awaiting activation though.
team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 02:32:57 PM »

Sorry about that, Im still exercising the ghosts from the last forum give it another try! It should work this time, also I have it set to user activation, so check your email spam filter.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2008, 02:22:03 AM »

Hm, I think I might join, having (almost) written Pong in Pycap now.

team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 06:42:22 AM »

Do it buddy, it will only help you get better, which is ultimately why we created it.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 10:27:03 AM »

Yeah, I should. I finished it, by the way, with "AI" and everything Grin

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: