Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 05:18:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingAiolos (Prototype)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Aiolos (Prototype)  (Read 1732 times)
JoeManaco
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: October 16, 2010, 04:14:12 PM »

Aiolos

Aiolos is a prototype I finished about a month ago, but I didn't get that much feedback, so I thought I introduce it here to you.

In this game you have to control a ball through a labyrinth. But you are not able to control the Ball directly. You have to launch small particles that will accelerate the ball.

Download Aiolos for Windows
Download Aiolos for Mac OS X
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 04:37:52 PM by JoeManaco » Logged

bicilotti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 11:47:43 PM »

I'm at level 3 (stuck) and having great fun. There is obviously some work to be made (the SFX for "get diamond" kills my ears every time Tongue ), but the prototype is very solid and I can see a lot of ways to expand gameplay.

Most importantly it feels smooth, which is the first thing you check in a prototype. In so many words: good job!

A question: which tools did you use to make this?

p.s.: some links in your signature don't work.

JoeManaco
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 06:02:27 AM »

Thank you for feedback.

I also think I have to redo the sound effects.

The game is written in Blitzmax using my free prototype framework.

Do you think it's ok to collect all diamonds to complete a level? Or do you think this should only be a secondary goal and the main goal should just be to reach an exit?

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 05:57:47 PM »

It's not the goal, but how the goal is achieved that's the issue.

The game is generally smooth, but I find it odd that I have to collect the background music. The game's silence at first doesn't give a good first impression.

I found it odd that while the title screen has a nice pattern on the background, the in-game background is far more simplistic and unninteresting. The keys also show inconsistency, as they have a grainy texture while everything else is neon and clean. The green doors are a little too dark.

The music that plays when you pick the music item is a little odd and doesn't seem to fit the gameplay all that well, though maybe that's personal preference.

The level design should be rethought. Things seem added a little too haphazardly, and the level layouts aren't all that interesting. The levels also feel too big for what they are. I stopped when I had to collect hundreds of gems packed together, which wasn't very fun.

I can see promise in the game and with polish and some redesign it could be an enjoyable game overall.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 07:34:35 PM »

Have some comments!

• The graphics were clean and crisp.  The movement had a nice feel.
  • After a little bit I realized that the particles mattered less than I thought, at least conceptually.  I was basically playing mouse-driven asteroids, for the control scheme.  After that I started zipping around a bit more.
  • Diving head first into a pile of diamonds is fun.  (I've noticed this before on other games - I call it the mario coin effect and it serves your game well.
  • In contrast, having to collect 100% of the diamonds (i. e. go back and pick up the outliers after you are finished diving into a giant pile) feels like a chore.  Could you consider lowering the time-limit (so you have to act faster) but also lowering the diamonds needed?  Maybe offer rank based on how many they got before they got to the exit?  (50% opens the exit, 75% gives you a bonus, 100% gives you a big bonus?)
  • Is the name a reference to Aeolus, ruler of the winds in greek mythology?

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
VomitOnLino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 05:39:16 AM »

Some points from me, most of which have already been mentioned so I'll just post my specific complaints:

-First and foremost opening unasked-for webpages on my computer is the fastest way to make me delete any program or game. That includes demos and what-have-you. It's obnoxious, and it cheapens you, (and your websites visitor statistics too!) please don't do it!

-The sounds have already been mentioned, for me it's the wall collision sound that's especially ear shattering - also the aspect that you have to collect all of the gems, where probably 70% should do, leave the 100% for completionists.

-What about having the particles go around the ball? With so little else going on it shouldn't be to hard on the CPU/GFX card to do, but I'm sure it would help the wind impression.

-What about having a play-field that - gameplay wise - resembles a minigolf course but viewed from top-down perspective? So that you can have hills that the player needs to blow up to, slopes that the ball rolls down (into danger) ... sand bunkers, water and so on and on... many ideas there - I'm sure. Smiley

-Powerups: Gain direct control of the ball for X seconds, stronger wind, sucking instead of blowing ...etc.

noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 05:56:18 PM »

Yay, I finished it! And for a prototype, it definitely has some things going for it. Really, my only complaint is the physics engine. Not your physics engine, the whole concept of physics engines in general, but that's just me. Maybe turn down the inertia a bit? Also, even though the level design could use work (mazes, really?), I would totally understand if you're just trying to get stuff laid down to show off the prototype.

About the "collecting music" thing, I think it's a cool idea, but could be done a little better. Like, if it didn't go away on level clear, and you picked up the first one near the start of the game, and each new music you collect puts another track on the queue.

Also, the "collect 100%" thing really does get old after a few levels. Maybe mix up the objectives? You could do a lot of cool things with this concept, don't just settle for "collect all shinies!"

Finally, I'm going to reiterate the whole "open website on game close makes me foam like a rabid mountain lion" thing. It's an unpleasant surprise, and the site viewership gathered through that route is most definitely not the happiest of viewerships.

But still, for a early prototype, you've got a lot of good going in your direction. Keep going! Make this game awesome!
JoeManaco
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 11:47:39 AM »

Wow. I'm really impressed of the quality feedback. Thank you!

The game's silence at first doesn't give a good first impression.

Yes, I think you are right. I tought it was a fun idea at frist, but I think I was wrong.

background is far more simplistic and unninteresting. The keys also show inconsistency, as they have a grainy texture while everything else is neon and clean. The green doors are a little too dark.

I want to concentrat on how to make the game fun at first. Later on I will try to improve the graphics.

The music that plays when you pick the music item is a little odd and doesn't seem to fit the gameplay all that well, though maybe that's personal preference.

No, you're right. I needed some background music and I took an old track of mine, that was unused.

The levels also feel too big for what they are

I'll try that. I will also try to include a level editor with the next release.

I can see promise in the game and with polish and some redesign it could be an enjoyable game overall.

Thank you!

In contrast, having to collect 100% of the diamonds (i. e. go back and pick up the outliers after you are finished diving into a giant pile) feels like a chore.  Could you consider  lowering the time-limit (so you have to act faster) but also lowering the diamonds needed?  Maybe offer rank based on how many they got before they got to the exit?  (50% opens the  exit, 75% gives you a bonus, 100% gives you a big bonus?)

Good point. I will implement this. I also thought about that the players ball has some sort of magnetism to pull the surrounding diamonds to him. So it would be easier to collect lots of diamonds.

Is the name a reference to Aeolus, ruler of the winds in greek mythology?

Yes Smiley

First and foremost opening unasked-for webpages on my computer is the fastest way to make me delete any program or game

Big sorry. I will definitly remove this in the next version. I won't do it
again.

What about having the particles go around the ball?

I already played a little bit with this idea. I think I have to put some effort into this idea. I really like it.

So that you can have hills that the player needs to blow up to, slopes that the ball rolls down

You mean a "marble madness"-like view / gameplay? I will think about this altough I probably need to rewrite big parts of the game code.

Powerups

Definitely. Must-have.

Not your physics engine, the whole concept of physics engines in general, but that's just me. Maybe turn down the inertia a bit?

I'll try that. I use very simple physics but also played around a little bit with Box2D lately. I tried it because I thoguht I would be a good idea the ball is transformable (like the main character in Gish).

and each new music you collect puts another track on the queue.

Yeah, I thought of something similar, too. But I'm not sure if turns out so great.

Again, thank you for the great feedback. I will try to implement a few things the next weekend. I'll let you know as soon as I have an improved version ready.

JoeManaco
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 11:35:56 AM »

I had time to implement the first changes you guys suggested.

I haven't build a new binary yet, but I have published the complete sourcecode of the game. It's written in Blitzmax, feel free to have look at my github account if you're interessted (http://www.intermediaware.com/developers).

I will also build a new binary as soon as I have more improvements ready.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic