Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 07:44:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessComplete failure at finding flash sponsor
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Complete failure at finding flash sponsor  (Read 5465 times)
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« on: October 18, 2010, 06:10:52 AM »

The game: Cram Sessions (http://www.flashgamelicense.com/view_game.php?game_id=13941)

Emails sent to sponsors: ~200 (about half of them repeats when no answered was received after a week)
Form pages filled: ~30
Replies in negative: 4
"We will get in touch soon", never do: 7
Bids after 30 days: 1 ($300)

Sites that replied with negative:
Notdoppler
Spilgames
Mochimedia
Mindjolt

raiten
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 06:49:08 AM »

That sucks. It's not a bad game.
rogerlevy
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 08:10:59 AM »

Must be a glut of games applying.   Who, Me?
weasello
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 08:22:08 AM »

Did you do any large scale user testing? I'll bet the game could do better once you polish it up.

IndieElite4Eva
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 12:25:36 PM »

Yeah, my focus group focus grouped the shit out of the game.

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 01:16:50 PM »

Yeek.  People are making more and more flash games these days...  I'm assuming that's it.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 01:36:38 PM »

I liked it but the last 3 levels are a bit too brainy

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
mirosurabu
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 06:55:51 AM »

The game looks quite polished though.

Mochi, Notdoppler, Spil and Armor refusals aside, you should focus on getting attention from the guys who were interested.

Must be a glut of games applying.
Yeek.  People are making more and more flash games these days...  I'm assuming that's it.

60% of these are crap compared to this though. And when I say crap I really mean lazy crap.
rogerlevy
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 07:03:12 AM »

I tried the game ... The music is really cool, and so is the quality of the graphics.

Unfortunately I have to be honest that I don't think that the game is very enjoyable.

You could do some things to improve it, like add graphical effects or flavor it with a story.  And you might want to increase the bitrate of the music ... it's so muddled it sounds like I'm in the 90's listening to RealPlayer.

All in all keep it up, it's good work.   Coffee
jrjellybeans
Level 3

They're All Gonna Laugh At You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 07:47:03 AM »

That's unfortunate!  The game is plenty polished to me and I would have thought that it would gotten a couple of decent bids.

I think as Cellulose said, there is now a huge amount of Flash games being made.  Making money with Flash games ain't as easy as it used to be.

If you continue to not find any bids, if I were you, I would just slap some Mochi ads on the game and release it everywhere.  You won't make much money, but you could probably encourage people to visit your website and, hopefully, use that to earn some cash.

Greender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 10:18:29 AM »

Making money with flash games is getting harder, and sponsors pay very little money, we have a game up too on FGL (http://www.flashgamelicense.com/view_game.php?from=dev&game_id=13542). I emailed a lot of sponsors after a few weeks with little views. The mails produced more views but sadly not a single offer, just to people interested on a sitelocked version but no more. It's frustrating for me because I had low expectations but not this low.
Your game looks really polished, an offer for 300 must feel like a slap on the face.

weasello
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 10:21:52 AM »

Keep in mind your competition is stuff like this:

http://armorgames.com/play/5011/big-pixel-racing

Being "above average" and getting sponsorships requires you to put in a LOT more polish than even just 6 months ago.

IndieElite4Eva
Greender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 10:28:58 AM »

I think the sponsors are getting a lot more value that they should for the money they put, the market seems to have prostituted quite a bit so sponsor expect a really nice product for a mere 1K or so.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 10:44:19 AM »

there's a saying that goes: when all your friends are telling you 'you can make a lot of money with x!' it's time to not do x because the time when you can make money with it is over

Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 11:15:05 AM »

there's a saying that goes: when all your friends are telling you 'you can make a lot of money with x!' it's time to not do x because the time when you can make money with it is over

well put Sad

rogerlevy
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 12:10:46 PM »

+1

Never follow a big enough crowd.
weasello
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 12:14:17 PM »

I thought the crowd was saying XBLA is where it's at still  Roll Eyes

IndieElite4Eva
mirosurabu
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 12:18:35 PM »

Keep in mind your competition is stuff like this:

http://armorgames.com/play/5011/big-pixel-racing

Being "above average" and getting sponsorships requires you to put in a LOT more polish than even just 6 months ago.

But these guys are in the $5k+ league, aren't they?

And despite the effort they put in polishing their games, their games generally don't do well on major portals. Sure they may get sponsors for a while, but I believe that if polish isn't enough to go viral, it can quickly become apparent to sponsors that polish isn't good measure.

Look at Armor Games developed games. I don't see a lot of polish in there, yet their games are very successful.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 12:18:49 PM »

so true!

Greender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 12:31:14 PM »

Sponsors are very spoiled nowadays.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic