Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 04:34:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingAeronaut - Final 10/30
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Aeronaut - Final 10/30  (Read 2742 times)
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: October 18, 2010, 04:24:57 PM »

Hey guys, looking for some feedback on this game. you might remember seeing this a while back. well I needed something to test a bunch of MochiMedia stuff with, so I just went ahead and finished it. I need to add sound effects and music and hopefully a bunch of other stuff.

space makes you go up how far can you get a successfully land.

Click here to play
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 08:12:44 PM by JasonPickering » Logged

Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 04:30:39 PM »

I can't seem to get it to load for me. Sad

Every time, it starts to go, and the progress bar gets to about 30%, and then fades out, and I'm left with a black screen that doesn't do anything.

I waited for a while to see if it was loading in the background, but if so, it takes long enough that I have given up by then.

I, uh, like the sepia-toned screenshot though?

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
iffi
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 04:37:26 PM »

Loads fine for me. If you have an ad-blocker, that could possibly be preventing it from loading.
It looks nice, but it's a little too slow-paced for my tastes.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 04:48:36 PM »

I can't seem to get it to load for me. Sad

Every time, it starts to go, and the progress bar gets to about 30%, and then fades out, and I'm left with a black screen that doesn't do anything.

I waited for a while to see if it was loading in the background, but if so, it takes long enough that I have given up by then.

I, uh, like the sepia-toned screenshot though?

it did that for me, but I clicked refresh and it seemed to load the second time around.

After about 100m my wrist started hurting, so I switched hands a few times. The game is painfully slow-paced, I really had little motivation to continue after 100m but I did. Unfortunalely when I died the game didn't tell me my score. The last time I had paid attention to the score it was at least 150m but I'm sure I made it to about 180m.

To make the game interesting you'd probably have to speed it up gradually. Maybe add some power-ups?
lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 05:16:42 PM »

I like the atmosphere, but I also think the gameplay is a bit slow.

Levelup
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 05:41:24 PM »

hey!! i like the colours and the ONE button thing! But this is reaaaally sloooow! Some speed upgrades could make the difference. I made it to 124 M! The problem is that it takes too much to get down, maybe you should fix that Wink
flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 09:13:32 PM »

I agree, it's slow, and too easy. But the game has potential, if you had more challenges it could be fun. By now, it's beatiful to see, though.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 09:55:30 PM »

alright you guys got your wish. I sped the game up quite a bit. give it a test run and let me know what you think. next I am adding a shorter bush and a taller tree to spice up the ground. if it seems to be the same speed now, just clear your cache and then your good to go.

P.S. anybody actually using the highscore table?

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 10:36:31 PM »

Speed seems fine (now) but I think it'll be better when you put more in it. Music would make a huge difference, I just don't get enough stimulation at the moment. Gameplay is simple, solid, but there doesn't seem to be any goal besides distance. Both times I played I died because I got bored and started to flirt with the clouds, seeing how close I could whizz by them.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 07:47:07 AM »

Not bad, quite monotonous in terms of gameplay though. I also didn't realize you could land to win the game until I came back and re-read the post, so that might need a bit of explanation in-game. Anyway some quick impressions:

• Monocle clouds are win  My Word!
  • Background needs a little tweaking, maybe different shapes of hills or something. Right now it seems very strange that rows of identical hills scroll by in parallax.
  • From what I gather you sped it up a bit, but it still feels quite easy to me.

If you could, tweak scroll speed over time, or distance from the start – that would go a long way. Maybe a powerup that adds a bunch of distance but increases your speed as well would be good too. Something like that. Definitely needs a couple more things to vary the gameplay right now, but after that you should have a very addictive one-button side scroller on your hands.  Smiley
iffi
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 04:46:53 PM »

• Background needs a little tweaking, maybe different shapes of hills or something. Right now it seems very strange that rows of identical hills scroll by in parallax.
I agree with that - I think what you could do is move the hills closer together so they overlap slightly, and maybe vary the distances between each hill a bit. It looks weird to have each hill right next to the other the way it is right now.
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 09:49:31 PM »

Sepia. Yum

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 12:06:24 PM »

okay so updated the code A LOT. have not uploaded yet as I am currently working on the background. I want to update it, but i am not sure what to add. right now I am switching to more mountainous background. but not sure what else to add. I have been looking at stuff like canabalt and the background is never boring. and I know how its all done. the problem is thats background is a city under fire. mine is the countryside. any ideas what I could add to the background?

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 12:26:33 PM »

alright, new code updated. new backgrounds and sped up. also the dreaded TALL TREE. how will you survive.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 01:55:04 PM »

swfcabin refuses to work for me..will try in an hour or something. odd because i can go to swfcabin.com, but not your link.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 01:58:42 PM »

yeah I had that problem to. then I restarted my computer and had no problem. I dont understand it either.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 08:14:18 PM »

Click here to play

So this is probably the last post on this one. I have everything in I want. some questions though

1. is it obvious how to turn off the music.
2. do you understand the game?
3. do the instructions help?
4. do you like the music choice?
5. will you use the high score or post to facebook and twitter?
6. did you see the link for my twitter?
7. do you like the film grain?

I want to thank everyone here at Tigsource and I should be working on marketing this and my next game by Monday.

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 04:01:33 AM »

1. Yes.
2. Yes, ish. It's not quite so obvious how to land (just bump the ground). The text kinda implies there's a landing, somewhere, though I'm not a fresh set of eyes, which you want for this question.
3. Yep.
4. Nope. The instrumentation certainly fit, but the selection didn't seem to really fit. It made me think of other things which I associate with that piece - which is gonna happen when you use such a famous work.
5. Nah
6. Yep
7. Yep.

Good luck, sir!

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 08:55:43 PM »

I played the game maker version of this game and I have to congratulate you on improving it dramatically! The most striking things are the graphics. They are beautiful  Kiss . The game also feels nice and I love the landing mechanic. My only gripe is that its hard to fall past clouds when your to high up.  

Edit
-yes
-yes
-yes
-It fit well
-yes (mr4k)
-yes
-I love it!
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 11:44:42 PM »

What do you guys think of this as the track instead?  It's Reflection Rag also by Scott Joplin (played by Warren Trachtman and not me, though)

hi
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic