Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:08:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDo you smoke?
Poll
Question: Do you smoke tobacco?
No, never - 221 (63.7%)
I used to but I quit - 23 (6.6%)
On occasion, but not every day - 33 (9.5%)
Yes, daily - 25 (7.2%)
Yeah, but I'm trying to quit - 8 (2.3%)
I smoke other stuff, but not cigarettes - 37 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 290

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: Do you smoke?  (Read 35659 times)
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« on: October 18, 2010, 05:47:13 PM »

Well, it's been a while since we had a fresh poll and it's been at least a week since I started one here... Sooo, I won't apologize for this one!  My Word!

Anyways, I made the mistake of buying a pack of smokes to enjoy while out at the bar the other night (as some of you remember, when I was chatting to you on TIGirc at the bar, lol)

I smoked about half the pack that night and that would have probably been the end of it, but the other half of the pack was just sitting there on my desk in front of me the next day, so I thought, "What's one more? Might take the edge off this hangover."

Needless to say, I ended up smoking the other half of the pack over the weekend and now I'm seriously fiending for a smoke!  Crazy I've already tried quitting 3 times this year, and each time I made it about a full month (which is definitely long enough for the cravings to pass) and then ended up starting up again after I'd get drunk, rest on my laurels, and believe that I could simply have a few casually without getting hooked again.

IT'S NOT THAT SIMPLE!! Arghhh... I'm not sure if I'm going to give in and buy a pack tonight, because then it will be official that I've started up again... Dammit!

Also, BMcC and I have a nice memory of staying up all night outside at Derek's, smoking cigarettes and talking until dawn. I'm going to see him again in a few weeks at TIGJam3, and I'm trying to talk him into smoking again (he quit shortly after GDC)... I know, that's a horrible thing to do, but... I WANNA SMOKE AND FIND REASONS TO RATIONALIZE STARTING AGAIN!!  Crazy Crazy Crazy

Sorry for the nicotine-addiction-addled rant.

Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 05:55:36 PM »

Concerned

Ive always hated it. Both my brothers smoke, and my parents did when I was about 5, until I told my mum I hated it and she pretty much gave up over night, as did my father for health conditions.

Nowadays I can put up with being around smokers, but I hate walking in busy streets around smokers, and not really having the option to get away from it quickly (NYC was a major example of this recently), unless I push through the crowds or walk faster to get ahead.

Sometimes I think smokers can be pretty selfish, publicly. Some also hold the cigarettes down low in busy crowds, which is pretty stupid with kids around, people brushing past etc. It's probably only a minor thing to most carefree people, but it's something that really gets to me  Angry

/end rant
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 06:02:01 PM by Adamski » Logged
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 06:17:02 PM »

It looks like we've got a lot of non-smokers here. That's good to know. Also, phubans, I encourage you not to start smoking again. You can do it!

Anyway, I'm definitely not old enough to smoke.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 06:17:55 PM »

I started smoking back in high school but I gave it up shortly afterwards because I kept attracting vultures who wanted to bum smokes off of me.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 06:27:29 PM »

Starving artists don't have enough money leftover to buy smokes.

Unless you made Minecraft, then you only smoke solid gold stogies.
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 06:28:36 PM »

I only smoke pot, broham. Giggle

Sorano
Level 6

Game Designer / Double Stallion Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 06:38:07 PM »

- Never touched a "real" cigarette.

- Used to smoke manufactured flavored cigarillos socially last year. I stopped when I realized that I started a habit of smoking alone. But at my worst I must have smoked 4 packs a year, which is nothing I guess, but I suffer from light asthma.

- I never refuse a good hookah of shisha (Mu‘assel in some countries) with friends.

- I smoke pot with some friends on occasion.

- Trying salvia for the second time in two weeks.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 06:43:40 PM »

I never liked the taste of cigarettes, and I didn't like the way they made me feel or really see any point to them. They make your fingers stink and clothes stink and breath stink and hair stink and car....etcetcetc. I don't see why any rational person would choose to pick up smoking again after quitting. Crazzy people.

I smoked weed pretty frequently in high school and even a year after it. But then..just stopped. Smoking weed now just makes me sleepy or really hungry, or paranoid, so there's no use doing it if it doesn't make you feel good.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 07:14:52 PM »

No.

It's a really stupid thing to do.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 07:25:29 PM »

Nah

Innerscope
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 07:37:31 PM »

I smoke green infrequently... well, now rarely ever. Cigars only for celebration.
As for cigarettes, on a rare drunken occasion.  Shrug

Seriously though, really no point to cigarettes. I see them as lousy conversation starters that slowly kill you. Save your cash dude.

Current Project: Wizard's Pie (iOS)
Future Project: Maiden Days (iOS)
Other Stuff: Blog
 & Web Site (Under Construction)
Riley Adams
Level 5

I don't actually use Ubuntu much...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 07:39:41 PM »

Nope, never; I do sort of like the smell though...

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 07:40:59 PM »

Don't buy moer cigarettes phubans.  Wizard Who, Me? Wizard

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 07:52:21 PM »

Nope.  I've got two lung-cancer-dead grandparents and two who have health problems.  One of the dead ones continued the habit 'till the bitter end with an oxygen tube up her nose, though her ex-husband had quit fifteen years earlier and it still got him.

Neither of my parents ever picked up the habit, though.  And neither did I.  Haven't ever touched pot, either, though I don't have much against it.

Paul, don't fucking do it.  If you do, you're weak.  Don't let that shit be stronger.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 07:55:31 PM »

I don't mind the way the smoke smells - in some contexts, like a city street at night, it feels fitting. But I do mind the smell that it leaves when it sticks to stuff, so I would never do it. Also, I like lungs, sorta goes without saying.

tso
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 08:19:50 PM »

comeon.. i thought you people were hipsters.. for shame

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 08:22:40 PM »

lol yeah, I'm really shocked that with almost 50 votes, nobody voted yes Sad I was hoping to have some reinforcement for buying a pack tonight, but I guess I'll try to fight it... Or wait, maybe if I smoke and other indies don't, that'll make me even MORE indie??

Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 08:28:55 PM »

How the hell can people like the smell?
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 08:39:01 PM »

Well I don't like the smell of second-hand-smoke, even as a smoker... But I do enjoy taking a nice long drag on a toasty stick of fresh tobacco and letting its rich, aromatic essence fill my lungs. It's like tea. I always likened it to tea. Even as a small child, I remember seeing cigarette butts floating in a dish of water, turning the water brown. The smell of tobacco in water is very similar to the smell of tea...

But, it's the nicotine that makes you crave cigarettes. It's a fundamentally useless drug, unless you've actually used it, then... It becomes a necessity. Once addicted, nicotine is what "levels you out", "takes the edge off" and makes your head feel clear and sharp again. It completes you by taking something away from your soul and only giving it back when you use it Sad

flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 08:54:45 PM »

Another not smoker... You may allocate better your money... And your health... Cool Beer! Coffee

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic