Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411524 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 02:39:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDo you smoke?
Poll
Question: Do you smoke tobacco?
No, never - 221 (63.7%)
I used to but I quit - 23 (6.6%)
On occasion, but not every day - 33 (9.5%)
Yes, daily - 25 (7.2%)
Yeah, but I'm trying to quit - 8 (2.3%)
I smoke other stuff, but not cigarettes - 37 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 290

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: Do you smoke?  (Read 35676 times)
emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: January 31, 2011, 01:23:33 PM »

Out of curiosity - because of the legal or health risks?
Legal reasons, since New York isn't very pot-friendly.  Of course, I could move to one of the 13 states that allow it...

But if I do quit, I don't think I'll enjoy Doug Benson's comedy as much, which would be a shame.

Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: January 31, 2011, 05:53:12 PM »

and I'm off
that song was awesome.

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: January 31, 2011, 08:37:53 PM »

I went to an art/game jam this weekend and ended up getting drunk and smoking two Marlboro reds... They fucked up my bronchials considerably the next morning. Other than that, I've been clean for about a week and really trying to stick with it this time :/

Conker534
« Reply #203 on: January 31, 2011, 09:49:35 PM »

): I don't want you guys ending up like my grandma, on oxygen and then dying early. >:
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: February 01, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »

My father's parents smoked and died in their 60's from health complications in which smoking was the major factor but not the only one. Still, however, I have never been put off by second-hand smoking. It always reminds me of them and the smells of their apartment I experienced during my childhood (in contrast, my parents didn't smoke while I was growing up).

I tried smoking "regularly" (2-4 cigs a day) for about a month when I was 19, but I became displeased with the habit I saw and felt developing and became unsatisfied with how quickly tolerance developed. I quite with no noticeable cravings. The only longing I have had since then is an occasional cigarette that is offered to me.

I have accepted offers of cigarettes in the past (before trying to smoke "regularly" on my own), so I guess this is how this sort of habit had developed. I have gone months or years between smoking, but I have still enjoy it in moderation from time to time.

However, the after taste and odor are a undesirable. I also prefer a good cigar without the extra additive that are used in common cigars and cigarettes. I'd rather have more nicotine than having to inhale arsenic and who knows what new additives are in the current, live test faze for sales effect. But that doesn't mean I will shun a cigarette from the rare here or there. I simply don't make them a habit. Also, once I reach light headed-ness I know I don't need any more.

@phubans: With habit in mind, alcohol reduces inhibitions. Don't use drinking as an excuse to smoke. If you feel like smoking after drinking alcohol, remember that your resistance to smoking is in a weakened state, you are more likely to be "unhinged" (careless, less self guarding), and in a flow of thought different than your sober self. Instead of smoking while your drink, decide to "reward" yourself with a smoke after sobering up (however long that takes) and then decide how long you might want to put it off. Maybe you can put it off until someone offers you a smoke, so then it is just one and you can relish it. Or, maybe you could keep putting it off. The more excuses to smoke you can notify and decide how to alter in a health, reasonable way the better.

I wish I could provide better help. I also haven't the time to read through all posts in this thread, so everything I've typed might be irrelevant to some degree.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Trent
Level 0

Someday I'll make games!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: February 01, 2011, 09:17:21 AM »

"I smoke other stuff, but not cigarettes"  Hand Thumbs Up LeftWTFHand Metal Right

Chris Pavia
« Reply #206 on: February 01, 2011, 09:25:54 AM »

I smoke pot, and quite enjoy it.

This is only done in weekends, and after two years of smoking I have never felt any cravings for weed during weekdays.

Although I am kind of starting to wonder if it's really worth spending the money on. It's not as much fun as it used to be.

I toke up once in a while, ~2 or 3 times a month on average I'd guess. Usually because:
A) It makes food taste amazing.
B) It makes music sound even better.
C) If I'm in a rut creatively, it helps me look at the problem from a different angle. Usually most of the idea's I come up with while high end up being pretty dumb when I'm sober, but some really good ones pop up from time to time. I try not to do this too often, I've met too many people who think they can only be creative when they're high, and I don't want to fall into that trap.
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: February 01, 2011, 11:05:44 AM »

"I smoke other stuff, but not cigarettes"  Hand Thumbs Up LeftWTFHand Metal Right
Cigars, hookahs, pipes.
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: February 01, 2011, 12:14:24 PM »

I toke up once in a while, ~2 or 3 times a month on average I'd guess. Usually because:
A) It makes food taste amazing.
B) It makes music sound even better.
C) If I'm in a rut creatively, it helps me look at the problem from a different angle. Usually most of the idea's I come up with while high end up being pretty dumb when I'm sober, but some really good ones pop up from time to time. I try not to do this too often, I've met too many people who think they can only be creative when they're high, and I don't want to fall into that trap.

Interesting, me and my friends just use it like alcohol when we meet. Talking, laughing, sometimes watching a movie or something, maybe play something like The Polynomial or Audiosurf to some psytrance. And the obligatory pizza of course.

Chris Pavia
« Reply #209 on: February 01, 2011, 12:35:39 PM »

Interesting, me and my friends just use it like alcohol when we meet. Talking, laughing, sometimes watching a movie or something, maybe play something like The Polynomial or Audiosurf to some psytrance. And the obligatory pizza of course.

I do use it for that as well, but I've moved around a lot the last couple years (first around the country then around California) so my friends are scattered around and we aren't able to get together too often.
Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: February 01, 2011, 01:12:39 PM »

yeah weed takes precedence before alcohol in my book. having my dealer (affectionately dubbed grandma) leave town for oregon and the semi-new inclusion of an honest-to-allah liquor store means i've been drinking a lot more though.

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: February 01, 2011, 01:23:10 PM »

That depends, I wouldn's smoke in a club (even if I was able to) or at a party with lots of people. It's best when it's just me and a few select friends.

Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: February 01, 2011, 01:24:18 PM »

i live in rural alaska so that's never a problem. when i was at college i kept it with like one or two friends as well.

Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: February 01, 2011, 01:54:36 PM »

Alcohol is a really awful drug. I mean, I drink as much as anyone, but if everything else were as cheap and available and legal we'd probably put it on nearly the same level as huffing paint.
Trent
Level 0

Someday I'll make games!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: February 01, 2011, 02:11:27 PM »

I started drinking at 17. Now that I'm 21, I don't drink.  Lips Sealed

Guess I got tired of throwing up.  Shrug

Chris Pavia
« Reply #215 on: February 01, 2011, 03:03:41 PM »

I started drinking at 17. Now that I'm 21, I don't drink.  Lips Sealed

Guess I got tired of throwing up.  Shrug

Why do you drink until you throw up? I've thrown up maybe twice in the last 5-6 years of drinking. My tolerance isn't very good, I just stop drinking when I start getting too drunk. I'm a bit of a beer snob tho, so I drink for the pleasure of it, not for the effects.
Trent
Level 0

Someday I'll make games!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: February 01, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »

I'm a big guy so it takes quite a bit for me to even get buzzed. I haven't gotten drunk since I was 19.  Shrug

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: February 01, 2011, 08:30:57 PM »

I was stoned silly for the entire development period of Madhouse (2004 - 2007). I think the original "Do you X" poll thread I started here was "Do you do drugs?"

Now I can't smoke weed without facing some seriously existentially heavy shit, which is why I avoid it... Blargh. I don't want to get into it Sad Weed changed my life, for sure.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 02, 2011, 06:51:51 AM »

I used to drink a lot more. I had a boss once who mentioned that alcahol takes 1 week to fully get out of your system. I don't know if it's the power of suggestion but I really began to notice it. As a result i tend to pack my drinking into about 1-2 weeks of winter vacation and maybe a vacation in the summer.

As for pot, it's sort of my stress reliever. I don't smoke more than a puff or two at a time. 

Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: February 02, 2011, 06:55:56 AM »

i smoked entirely too many cigarettes over the past twelve hours: fucking stress, fucking job, fucking Alaska.

i really should quit.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic