Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:14:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDo you smoke?
Poll
Question: Do you smoke tobacco?
No, never - 221 (63.7%)
I used to but I quit - 23 (6.6%)
On occasion, but not every day - 33 (9.5%)
Yes, daily - 25 (7.2%)
Yeah, but I'm trying to quit - 8 (2.3%)
I smoke other stuff, but not cigarettes - 37 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 290

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16
Print
Author Topic: Do you smoke?  (Read 35247 times)
Bandages
« Reply #260 on: April 14, 2011, 10:03:31 PM »

I'm going to smoke a lot of marijuana on 420

God I'm so fucking annoying

Cool
Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 15, 2011, 05:59:44 AM »

That's really dangerous advice. Most people could probably give a bit of this and a bit of that a try without any problems but some people can get into a real mess "trying" drugs before making a decision. There's a lot of talk these days about having an "addictive personality" - which may or may not be a constructive way of describing it - and that sort of person, with poor impulse control or whatever else the issue may be, would be a lot better off staying well clear.
slembcke
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: April 15, 2011, 09:42:20 AM »

@Gabriel Verdon:
You don't have to drop a brick on your foot to know you won't like it. Perhaps a lot of those people see other people become intoxicated and think to themselves, "Yeah, that's not for me". Perhaps they've experienced just enough to decide that life as is is more enjoyable when it's not "enhanced" artificially. Perhaps they have legitimate medical reasons not to.

Besides, like any holiday 4/20 is just a scam to make more money by tricking people into smoking more. Apparently over 50% of yearly profits for the industry are made this month.

Scott - Howling Moon Software Chipmunk Physics Library - A fast and lightweight 2D physics engine.
paste
Level 6

BARF!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: April 15, 2011, 10:29:51 AM »

@Gabriel Verdon:
You don't have to drop a brick on your foot to know you won't like it.

Yeah, but the reason you know that is cos you probably have experienced things very similar to dropping a brick on your foot.  Drugs are a very different experience.

Perhaps a lot of those people see other people become intoxicated and think to themselves, "Yeah, that's not for me".

Yeah, but you only see the outward effects of the intoxication, which if done responsibly is simply looking stupid.  Anyone afraid of looking stupid will lead a boring life, IMO.

Perhaps they've experienced just enough to decide that life as is is more enjoyable when it's not "enhanced" artificially.

What is this "just enough" that one might experience that would lead one to think they don't want new experiences?

Perhaps they have legitimate medical reasons not to.

This makes sense.

[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 15, 2011, 10:38:07 AM »

I know it doesn't compare to experiencing it, but I've been told by people who do it how it feels. I personally don't find it attractive enough to intoxicate my body in exchange. I think it's fine to discard something you know you won't enjoy - it's not like trying an exotic dish or listening to a different kind of music, in my opinion.
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: April 15, 2011, 11:01:52 AM »

You keep saying that those who don't at least try drugs are closed minded. First hand experience isn't necessary for all knowlege, which is why we have science. In fact, I'm a little offended that you think that there's something called "Saturn". Have you been there?

It's actually not exactly like trying an exotic dish or listening to a different kind of music. This part, "You are gaining new experiences and new perspectives" is false. You are actually imparing your senses, not using or heightening them. It seems foolish to argue that turning off parts of your brain is the same as using them.

Also, the argument that we are already on drugs is true, which is exactly why most people choose not to alter the already barely functioning set of drugs in the brain for fun trip. Substances need to be rigoriously test to have no adverse affects before people try them. Such is the biochemical study called medicine.

unsilentwill
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: April 15, 2011, 11:21:46 AM »

Thanks for ignoring my arguement. Just take the time to think about it a bit.

Also you have no idea what I have and haven't done in my life. There's no need to judge people like that.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 15, 2011, 11:53:28 AM »

Both the people who take drugs and those who don't should care less about what other people do.
paste
Level 6

BARF!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: April 15, 2011, 11:57:10 AM »

People who care about what people should care less doing should care less about it.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 15, 2011, 12:07:57 PM »

derp
Theophilus
« Reply #270 on: April 15, 2011, 05:42:20 PM »

I don't get why you only respect dubie smoking hippies.
Theophilus
« Reply #271 on: April 15, 2011, 05:49:02 PM »

Goodness, you need to lighten up, I was only joking.
unsilentwill
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: April 15, 2011, 05:50:49 PM »

Relax, and stop calling me ignorant. I do not think all drugs are the same. I know you're not trying to convince anyone to do drugs. But I don't like to be called close minded, because I don't think I am. I'll address your points a PM, I think there's a only a small difference in terms for how we define what drugs do that's at the crux of this disagreement.

Theophilus
« Reply #273 on: April 15, 2011, 05:57:46 PM »

I think a lot of people aren't open to drugs because of the way most grew up. PBS specials about drugs don't usually say things like you are saying. There are a lot more risks with the use of drugs than there are things like, coffee (This comes to mind because you mentioned it).
BoxedLunch
« Reply #274 on: April 15, 2011, 07:00:11 PM »

There's a lot of talk these days about having an "addictive personality" - which may or may not be a constructive way of describing it - and that sort of person, with poor impulse control or whatever else the issue may be, would be a lot better off staying well clear.
i'm that kind of person. luckily, i'm pretty aware of it and i know what to stay away from so i don't get into the wrong things. because that whole thing about certain drugs being gateway-drugs could be true for me.

this tends to make me pissed off around some of the more pushy pot-smokers. i have a lot of these at or around my lunch table and school in general. most of them constantly make jokes about it, and talk about getting high, and usually try to get me involved in it, even when i have told them several times that i don't plan on ever drinking or doing drugs. this usually leads to the whole you-should-try-pot lecture: "oh you're so stupid. i was just like you when i was a freshman. i cared about school and stuff. but then i tried weed man, changed my life and i know better now." (that is an actual quote by the way. i'm not exaggerating). this has largely influenced my negative opinion about most pot-smokers, even though i know better now, since a few people on this site do, and you obviously aren't like the ones i've met.

i do respect that several people enjoy weed, because as far as i know, it's one of the least intense "drugs", in the sense that you get it from some guy in an alley or random house(not that everyone does, i'm not stereotyping, just trying to get my point across). i just don't appreciate that several people i know are doing it at such a young age. if it is "only as bad as alcohol" as they say, and it's illegal, why can't they at least respect the drinking laws and wait until they are old enough to do that? even though most kids my age usually have already started doing that.
Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 16, 2011, 02:00:31 AM »

I'm that kind of person aswell, though it took me a long time to realise it. It sounds like you're making a very wise choice as I started out using cannabis in response to peer pressure and (long story short) I'm here, 10 years down the line, taking Subutex to manage an opium addiction and long-term unemployed.

@Gabriel: I saw things exactly as you did for a long time but hindsight puts a different perspective on it  Tired
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 16, 2011, 01:20:30 PM »

Smoked for years, quit for a year... then went FFFFUUUUU!! And here I am... Sitting at my computer with a cig hanging from my mouth Shrug
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: April 16, 2011, 02:19:03 PM »

Please don't equate doing psychedelic drugs with inflicting physical self-harm ever again. That is one of the most profoundly naive, ignorant, and brainwashed things I've ever heard, and I've heard it plenty of times. If you don't want to do drugs, fine. Just admit it's because you're afraid to do them. There's no shame in that. There is shame, however, in saying that something is bad just because you were told it was bad, but you never bothered to find out first hand.

I don't do drugs anymore but when I used to smoke pot I was happy, creative, and very empathetic towards others. When I quit I became miserable, hateful, and felt like killing people (not a withdrawal; that's just how I am without it) It was impossible to stay high all the time because not everyone was on that level, so it was a very vulnerable place to be. However, if everyone smoked pot, I guarantee we'd have world peace.

[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 16, 2011, 02:23:09 PM »

^
That last paragraph. I'm fine without drugs, sankyuu.
unsilentwill
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: April 16, 2011, 02:24:13 PM »

I never said it was self harm. Please do not call me naive, ignorant, and brainwashed.  I'm not afraid to do drugs. I'm not saying its bad because I was told by PBS.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic