Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 02:43:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)iphone game art feedback
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: iphone game art feedback  (Read 1771 times)
tross
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2010, 02:16:39 AM »

Hi all, i'm working on an iPhone game thats kind of like WiiFit soccer mixed with fruit ninja...

The idea is that some cargo from a plane has fallen out and a lone monkey has to gather all the food up while avoiding other stuff.

I've re-skinned most of it, but i still need to do an extra 10% more polishing.

Any constructive criticism? Feedback? Thanks!

Tys

Kramlack
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 03:17:48 AM »

Well, I hate to be 'the asshole', but the art really isn't to good, it looks like a 5 minute job in flash.

I'm not sure if you're planning to sell it or not, but if you are, I can safely say as a customer, I wouldn't be willing to shell out the .99 for this.

With that out of the way, I'll get to the actual constructive criticism. Ditch the gradients. Gradients (for the most part), are really just seen as a noob'ish tactic to get out of shading.

The shapes are also very basic. For example, the monkey's hands are literally just circle tool, which really isn't helping, after using gradients.

I mean, there's quite a lot of work that needs to be done, but I'd say try a real style of shading (most like what you have on the trees), and work on your shapes.
tross
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 03:43:21 AM »

C'mon, worse than Farmville? Wink
But thanks. Thats what i wanted! Yeah, i knew I had a bit to do with the overall shading and hands.
Although overall, do the composition and colours work?

I was definitely going for a flat-shaded cartoony style rather than too much anime-style shading.

Don't get me wrong, not one of those idealistic noobs! (No plans to make fat stacks with this)
Just seriously trying to get a handle on my first types of game art, having been a long-time AS3 coder, now iOS coder.

Thanks,
Tys
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 09:51:15 PM »

Try adding some shadows. Like under the trees and whatnot.  I think it might help.

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 04:31:57 AM »

Some shadows would help. It would also be recommended to stay away from gradients unless crucially required. Besides that, it's not too shabby for an iPhone game.
rogerlevy
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 05:44:09 AM »

take out about 50% of the linear gradients.

also i'd give the monkey's hands and feet some detail.  the chibi ball-hand style doesn't fit with the rest of it.

and the background trees do not look good.  they read as heavy viscous blobs rather than leaves.  you might use a spikier outline.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 10:45:39 AM »

The biggest problem is the background hills with the green outlines. You'd want to add a lot more details there, shadows and remove the outlines.
Also the walls of the precipice under the monkey need more details.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic