Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 08:51:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFable Demake - Fableous
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Fable Demake - Fableous  (Read 7121 times)
Jo-Remi
Level 0

Developer on D-Pad Studio

View Profile WWW
« on: October 19, 2010, 02:48:04 AM »

Fabelicous Update #1! - Development Start
I've taken the oppertunity to start a small Fable tribute project, which is aimed to be released before the launch of Fable (Lucky-Number) 3.

The plan is to bring some missed features(Real-time Vegetation Growth, Weapon Pickups), aswell as features from the previous games(Body morphing, Moral choices, Crumbtrail),into a simplistic 2D retro-styled game. This is a tribute game, and may not capture Fable's magic, but it'll try to capture some of it's basic concepts.

Check out the development of the project, download demo, or watch videos of the project at my website, Roflgames.com

Early Screenshot from Lychfield Graveyard

Fabelicous Update #2! - Fishing
Fable 3's release is 2 weeks from now, which is also the demonstration-deadline for this project. Until deadline there are a few improvements to the franchise I want to bring into the spotlight, by implementing them into the project.

One of those features is the 'Fishing-System' from Fable 1. Fishing in Fable was never quite intuitive enough in my opinion, as vigourous button mashing is not my preffered cup of tea.

With a great number of games out there that incorporate the sport of fishing, I focused on going about this improvement by looking at Zelda: Ocarina Of Time and Sega Bass Fishing(Dreamcast). In these games, fishing was challanging and had a nice flow to it. This is how the result came out ingame, after spending a few days on the basics of reeling and throwing.

Fabelicous Update #3! - Combat
One of the features I've tried to improve this week is the 'Magic-System' from Fable 2. In Fable 2, action stopped, and your hero started taking blows from opponents when charging a magic spell. When action is fast and a player is in combat, usually, the last thing the player wants is to get slowed down or hit.

I've focused on the actual casting of magic, and not so much it's versatility. On casting a spell, the hero leaves behind a charge. This charge is air-borne and gathers energy for a few seconds, until the charge explodes and the intended spell is brought forth. This leaves the hero time to either flee, get defensive with a shield, or charge at the enemy, keeping them at some distance while the spell charges:

The video is recorded in 50% speed for better viewing

Visit Roflgames.com for more updates on the progress,
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 03:06:53 AM by Jo-Remi » Logged

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 12:32:27 AM »

Hey! Looks good, though I think a lot of what makes Fable Fable is the art direction and humor, which'd be pretty hard to recreate in low res 2D WTF

Will you be able to dress up the player character in different outfits?

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 07:01:59 AM »

This is an interesting concept. Also I dig your site.
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 11:20:20 AM »

Good idea, particularly on the missing features front.
sereneworx
Level 10

What a terrific duvet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 08:37:57 PM »

Tasty graphics so far. Love the super simple yet awesome look you have.
wedieyounge
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 09:21:13 PM »

Awesome! Please don't stop working on it!

¬ wedge
Jo-Remi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 03:00:57 AM »

Fabelicous Update #3!
1 week left before Fable 3's release, and anticipation levels are in the red-zone at my house!

Combat is one of the aspects of Fable I really was looking foreward to! Growing up with RPG's like Baulder's Gate and Might & Magic, I could barely wait to see what kind of tricks and powers were at my disposal when Fable got it's release.

I wasn't too dissapointed, yet I never quite felt that Fable had a Level-Up system that complemented the use of magic in the game.

One of the features I've tried to improve this week is the 'Magic-System' from Fable 2. In Fable 2, action stopped, and your hero started taking blows from opponents when charging a magic spell. When action is fast and a player is in combat, usually, the last thing the player wants is to get slowed down or hit.

I've focused on the actual casting of magic, and not so much it's versatility. On casting a spell, the hero leaves behind a charge. This charge is air-borne and gathers energy for a few seconds, until the charge explodes and the intended spell is brought forth. This leaves the hero time to either flee, get defensive with a shield, or wail at the enemy, keeping them at some distance while the spell charges:

The video is recorded in 50% speed for better viewing

Further improvements to the spell system will be made, by incorporating different spells, and stats for each spell. In classic RPG's, there is no limit to how powerful a hero can become. I'll bring Disgaea: Hour of Darkness in as an example.
In Disgaea, the hero's level was limited to lvl 9999. An almost impossible number to reach if one is not a completionist. All spells and moves could be powered up individually, by simply using them. This is how I want to implement the spell system, and also let Hero Spell Power affect the outcome of a spell.

Thursday next week will be special. In my country Fable 3 releases on Oct.29th, and my plan is to have a playable demo ready the day before this. If I do not reach this deadline, development will still continue, but at a slower pace, as my team is getting ready to release the new D-Pad Studio website. Come back next week, and you might get a chance at trying the fan project right before Fable 3's release.

Follow development at Roflgames.com

OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 10:39:35 AM »

Looking great in the video  My Word!
Jo-Remi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 07:50:50 AM »

Check out the demo of Fableous, and watch the video on how the boss fight works.

Fableous - Demo v0.0001(The Hobbecave, .exe)

]
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 07:10:49 PM by Jo-Remi » Logged

jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 01:56:26 PM »

Wow, still very impressed.
Ant
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 10:51:02 AM »

Shocked

Kiss
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 04:36:45 PM »

Looks so freakin GOOODDDD.

VomitOnLino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 04:45:33 PM »

Please say it's going to look like this. Ohgod pleasepleaseplease  Kiss

No, really this is some absolutely fantastic pixel-work that oozes style. I mean the game looked neat in motion before but this kind of seals the deal!
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 05:36:25 PM »

I want it.

RotateMe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 10:22:44 AM »

This water is just super premium good amazing no shit.
Snake
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 10:48:52 AM »

Lookin' good Jo!

Shocked

Kiss

Hahahaha! I was wondering when that would show up.

Jo asked me to take a swing at some updated graphics, and it ended up in an interview somewhere. In honesty, we've been discussing taking this further, but there's always that stuff that's left to do in Owlboy. Maybe I could add some more tiles to it if we have some spare time. This is one of the many times I wish I could take on several projects at once...

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 02:30:32 PM »

Even without the updated graphics, it looks great. I was a little skeptical before I watched the gameplay videos. However, the animations just look really fluid to me.

I personally do not like the Fable series of games, yet I really like this.

DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 03:41:42 PM »

I immediately knew it was you, snake.  The wood bits were a dead give-away.  Its nice to see you're still alive and owlboy hasn't turned you into a zombie.  By the way, you need to be on my buddy list somewhere... just thought you should know.

Snake
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 03:25:31 PM »

Not a zombie quite yet, thankfully. We're still chugging away at it. Hopefully we'll have something new to show soon, though we're planning a new trailer in not too long.

I don't really know why I haven't posted in a while. Life, the universe and everything has been somewhat loopy this past year, I suppose I forgot to poke this place.

By the way, you need to be on my buddy list somewhere... just thought you should know.

Send me a PM good sir.  Gentleman

OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2010, 01:30:01 PM »

That's one sweet graphics upgrade.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic