Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 01:00:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBrave Honey Bee (finished)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Brave Honey Bee (finished)  (Read 16560 times)
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 06:15:31 PM »

Very simple.  I like it, but really hard.  Are there savepoints?  If there are there should be more.  Can you squeeze them in in one event?

@doomlaser, mark johns
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 09:24:08 PM »

You should use Construct instead, I reckon. No limits on the events there.

grickmin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2008, 09:31:31 PM »

Very simple.  I like it, but really hard.  Are there savepoints?  If there are there should be more.  Can you squeeze them in in one event?

Of course there are savepoints. On every block with a thin, yellow line at the top, you can press A to create a savestation.
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2008, 09:55:20 PM »

"Never" sounds like an incredibly useful event.
Actually, it's very useful for debugging, the equivalent of commenting out a line in a text-based programming language.

I think the point is to make a game with as few events as possible on purpose, not due to any inherent limitations of the app. Roll Eyes

Anyway, the game is simple but fun. As long as the screens follow a nice difficulty curve, there probably doesn't need to be any external motivation, although a collectibles + time scoring might work. If this isn't how it works already, maybe you could free up an event by lining the top and bottom of the screen with spikes, instead of killing the player arbitrarily there. Also, is there any reason why the save stations are player-placed instead of being automatically triggered, unless you were planning on making it less linear later on?

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2008, 11:15:23 PM »

It´s like: Event -->  Bee colliding with spike.
           Action --> Destroy bee.

An event can also be e.g. start of frame, speed of bee=4, always, never, every 1.0 second.

Hope you understand now :>

oh ok but what program is this?  flash? game maker?  it seems like an interesting system.  Is the 20 limit self imposed or imposed by software?  What is construct?
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2008, 11:46:41 PM »

Wow, for a while there I really thought MMF only let you have 20 events in your game Shocked
Anyway, it's really rather fun. Much as I love Psychosomnium I found the bee section very annoying, but your bee movement is subtly different and more enjoyable to use. You don't need to mash the button nearly as much, and I love the way you can get into a rhythmic 'skipping' sort of motion.
I think your save point system is bad though. I'm guessing they're based on the checkpoint system in Brain Damaged Toon Underworld? I assume cactus is going to use that to make mindfuck puzzles. In Brave Honey Bee, though, it feels very superfluous. I mean, you can only make checkpoints... at the checkpoints. Just make the checkpoints automatically save when you land on them.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2008, 12:09:13 AM »

I think the point is to make a game with as few events as possible on purpose, not due to any inherent limitations of the app. Roll Eyes

Oh. They made it sound like they had an event limit.

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2008, 12:16:22 AM »

oh ok yeah I was pretty confused about that too but multimedia fustion and the 20 event limit is self imposed... got ya
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2008, 12:21:31 AM »

OH and you asked what construct is: scirra.com

ZeppMan217
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2008, 03:37:30 AM »

could you please add some other download mirrors?

City 217 citizen.
"We do what we must because we can"
Kisguri
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2008, 04:59:00 AM »

The reason their is a 20 event limit is he is competing in A Multimedia Fusion development contest, the goal of which is to develop the best game with tough limited parameters, like the maximum of twenty Events or Lines....

http://gamesare.com/developers/dev/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=81&Itemid=75

grickmin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2008, 05:39:30 AM »

could you please add some other download mirrors?

http://willhostforfood.com/access.php?fileid=19869
http://www.filefactory.com/file/92c14f

If it still doesn´t work, please send me a PM and I´ll email the file!
grickmin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2008, 06:29:40 AM »

Wow, for a while there I really thought MMF only let you have 20 events in your game Shocked
Anyway, it's really rather fun. Much as I love Psychosomnium I found the bee section very annoying, but your bee movement is subtly different and more enjoyable to use. You don't need to mash the button nearly as much, and I love the way you can get into a rhythmic 'skipping' sort of motion.
I think your save point system is bad though. I'm guessing they're based on the checkpoint system in Brain Damaged Toon Underworld? I assume cactus is going to use that to make mindfuck puzzles. In Brave Honey Bee, though, it feels very superfluous. I mean, you can only make checkpoints... at the checkpoints. Just make the checkpoints automatically save when you land on them.

No, the savesystem is not inspired from BDTUW. I just wanted to create some sort of savesystem which didn´t would take too many events. The savesystem is from a game which i made almost a year ago.

I´m very pleased with the savesystem so it´s probably not going to be changed.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2008, 01:38:24 AM »

No, the savesystem is not inspired from BDTUW. I just wanted to create some sort of savesystem which didn´t would take too many events. The savesystem is from a game which i made almost a year ago.

I´m very pleased with the savesystem so it´s probably not going to be changed.
Why do you like it so much? Does it reduce the number of events? If so, that's perfectly alright. Otherwise, I really can't see any advantages over a normal, more intuitive save system.

grickmin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2008, 02:52:21 AM »

Why do you like it so much? Does it reduce the number of events? If so, that's perfectly alright. Otherwise, I really can't see any advantages over a normal, more intuitive save system.

I´m pleased with the savesystem because it reduces the events compared to the other savesystem alternatives, and still it works good.
grickmin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2008, 01:50:05 PM »

Here are some new screenies:

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2008, 09:09:29 PM »

I love that line.

sum man stoled you are hunny
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2008, 11:04:16 PM »

fun  Cool

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2008, 04:47:59 AM »

Haha, I recognize that beehive from somewhere. I have to ask why you seem to be a bit reluctant to mention that the game is inspired by Psychosomnium... I don't really care about credits, but yer takin gameplay concept, style and now even directly ripping graphics from my games. So I'm just starting to think it's a bit odd. If you think not mentioning this will give you a better chance at winning that competition or something, then I'd understand it a bit more.

Anyways, good luck with the game! Looking forward to the next demo Smiley
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2008, 05:23:11 AM »

You should credit cactus man... This is obviously inspired by psychosomnium, so why not just put a message saying: "inspired by psychosomnium" somewhere?

Other then that, nice game man, but we don't want people going like:

sum mans stoled cactusses gem

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic