Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58432 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 08:06:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBrave Honey Bee (finished)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Brave Honey Bee (finished)  (Read 16562 times)
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2008, 06:07:06 AM »

Yeah, at this point, I strongly suggest that you credit Cactus somewhere. It's just too similar. As Jwaap said, Adding a "Inspired by Cactus game: Psychosomnium" at the very start of the game, like the menu or a pre-menu splash screen will do the trick. Otherwise, you'll be ripping off.

Later!

grickmin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2008, 03:02:58 AM »

Haha, I recognize that beehive from somewhere. I have to ask why you seem to be a bit reluctant to mention that the game is inspired by Psychosomnium... I don't really care about credits, but yer takin gameplay concept, style and now even directly ripping graphics from my games. So I'm just starting to think it's a bit odd. If you think not mentioning this will give you a better chance at winning that competition or something, then I'd understand it a bit more.

Anyways, good luck with the game! Looking forward to the next demo Smiley

I´m not reluctant to mention that it´s inspired by Psychosomnium. If you base that of when I wrote that "it´s a bit inspired by Psychosomnium" I understand a little. In fact I was going to add "inspired by Psychosomnium" in the credits together with some other people who have helped me with my game. The reason of why I´m a bit inspired of Psychosomnium is plainly that it have been more things inspiring me of making this game.
I´m sorry that i cannot understand what you said about ripping, Cactus. I have not ripped any sprites. In your case, Cactus. I have only been inspired by Psychosomniums gameplay and some of the atmosthere/style. I promise you that the beehive is all made by my mind (not inspired of anything). I drew a quite realistic beehive on a paper and then I made a pixel version of it (like I do with many sprites). I cannot see what I have ripped so please explain.

I hope I have straighten things up a bit now.

It will not be another demo because the game is too small for that.
"INSPIRED BY PSYCHOSOMNIUM" will be in the credits (well, just like I have planned for the last weeks).

Smiley
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 08:36:29 AM by grickmin » Logged
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2008, 08:29:38 AM »

I draw a quite realistic beehive on a paper

Be careful with those realistic beehive drawings. My one friend drew a beehive so realistic once that a bear came up and attacked him thinking he would find honey in it.

grickmin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2008, 08:41:07 AM »

I draw a quite realistic beehive on a paper

Be careful with those realistic beehive drawings. My one friend drew a beehive so realistic once that a bear came up and attacked him thinking he would find honey in it.

Haha, never happened to me!
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2008, 05:28:40 PM »

Haha, I recognize that beehive from somewhere. I have to ask why you seem to be a bit reluctant to mention that the game is inspired by Psychosomnium...
I´m not reluctant to mention that it´s inspired by Psychosomnium. If you base that of when I wrote that "it´s a bit inspired by Psychosomnium" I understand a little. In fact I was going to add "inspired by Psychosomnium" in the credits together with some other people who have helped me with my game. The reason of why I´m a bit inspired of Psychosomnium is plainly that it have been more things inspiring me of making this game.
Ah, I was actually thinking that maybe you were sarcastic about that. Basically, you have the same thing as in my game, a bee avoiding spikes, sparse minimalist graphics, color changes between screens with overlaps dividing them, similar colors, you asked the guy who made music for several of my games to do the music for yours, and I don't see how you couldn't possible have taken that beehive from the screenshot I posted here about a month ago: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=1276.msg31866#msg31866

I'd say you've taken a part from my game and improved it, rather than just been inspired by it. I don't really care about that but it's weird that you're not admitting it and trying to defend yourself from something that's so obvious.

I´m sorry that i cannot understand what you said about ripping, Cactus. I have not ripped any sprites. I promise you that the beehive is all made by my mind (not inspired of anything).

Are you kidding me?

"INSPIRED BY PSYCHOSOMNIUM" will be in the credits (well, just like I have planned for the last weeks).
Ok, that's always nice to know.
the_depraved
Level 1

Smile like a donut.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2008, 07:59:44 PM »

Shocked

I see a connection.

up down left right upper cut.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2008, 11:57:21 PM »

Another bit of feedback, the death animation - or rather, the lack of a death animation - is extremely jarring. I understand about the event limit but still, it respawns too quickly and often leaves you thinking "WTF?? It didn't look like I hit anything then!"
If you could just make the game freeze for a moment before you respawn, then you would see clearly that you've hit the spikes and it probably wouldn't add any more events.

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2008, 12:19:10 AM »

In this kind of game, I kinda like the lack of death animation. A pause to remind you you've died breaks the flow a little- seeing as, in this game, one is going to die and die often. Could jar the game somewhat.
grickmin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2008, 01:20:29 AM »

Haha, I recognize that beehive from somewhere. I have to ask why you seem to be a bit reluctant to mention that the game is inspired by Psychosomnium...
Ah, I was actually thinking that maybe you were sarcastic about that. Basically, you have the same thing as in my game, a bee avoiding spikes, sparse minimalist graphics, color changes between screens with overlaps dividing them, similar colors, you asked the guy who made music for several of my games to do the music for yours, and I don't see how you couldn't possible have taken that beehive from the screenshot I posted here about a month ago: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=1276.msg31866#msg31866

I'd say you've taken a part from my game and improved it, rather than just been inspired by it. I don't really care about that but it's weird that you're not admitting it and trying to defend yourself from something that's so obvious.

I´m sorry that i cannot understand what you said about ripping, Cactus. I have not ripped any sprites. I promise you that the beehive is all made by my mind (not inspired of anything).

Are you kidding me?

Ok, that's always nice to know.

Yes, I agree with that I´ve "taken" a part of your game and improved it. That´s why "Inspired by Psychosomnium" is in the credits. After all, that bee part isn´t everything in Psychosomnium. I just felt that, hey, that bee part is quite fun and simple, maybe i can make something bigger out of it. At the same time, other things and games inspired me with the improvements.
The color transitions are from Psychosomnium. I just felt it was a good way to change the theme or a level.
About the music: When I first played Messhofs game, You Found The Grappling Hook, I really liked the music in that game. I googled after AK and found his myspace site. I got hooked on his music and since then I have been checking his myspace quite often. I know he has also made the music for Seizuredome and for Mondo Agency, but that wasn´t the first time I heard him. I really liked the style of his music and thought that it maybe would fit Brave Honey Bee. That´s the story.

Whoa, those beehives looks extremly similiar. I can´t deny that, but I promise you that I haven´t ripped the beehive. I haven´t even seen the screenshot. Maybe it´s hard to make two different beehives out of some few pixels? Since they look extremly similiar, I can make another sprite if you want me to?
I know it´s hard to believe that I haven´t even seen the screenshot and that I haven´t ripped the beehive, but I promise you that I have not.  Undecided   
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2008, 02:19:11 AM »

Whoa, those beehives looks extremly similiar. I can´t deny that, but I promise you that I haven´t ripped the beehive. I haven´t even seen the screenshot. Maybe it´s hard to make two different beehives out of some few pixels? Since they look extremly similiar, I can make another sprite if you want me to?
Feel free to use your sprite, but I still don't understand how your statement can be true. There's just so many things that's weird about it. First of all, the size. Suddenly the pixels get ten times larger, why wouldn't you just draw a bigger beehive? The shading. There's no other shading in the game, why would it suddenly appear here? The background is suddenly a gradient, like in my screenshot. How come? And then we have the fact that there's only about eight pixels different to the shape of the outline. Also, the beehive has sharp edges, where as the rest of your graphics has not and you'd normally not look at a behive as a bunch of rectangles. Finally, you've sent me several messages about BDTUW and asked how I've done different things. If you were that interested, then how come you didn't bother to look at the screenshot next to the download?

Despite how it may sound, I'm not really angry with you. I didn't do anything particularly interesting with the bee-part in my game, and I'm glad to see that it will now get a more fleshed out version for those who enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to playing the game myself even. But I can't help but feel a need to express that it's a bit weird how you're going about creating the game, and seemingly borrowing a lot of stuff without asking.
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2008, 05:06:07 AM »

Alright, I'm gonna step in just a few secs cuz I don't want this thing to go any further publicaly: it might end up in ways we don't want to.

First of all, and that's for everyone here, when you create a game out of somebody else's idea, it's always a risky business. No matter if you created something from scratch or ripped off elements straight from the other's game, what matter is the result. Getting inspiration from someone else's work is a good idea but you have to be careful how to use these ideas. If the results have too much similarities with the original work, it's not just a rip-off, it's stealing. And when you're playing with the big boys, that means cease and desist letters or nasty law suits. It doens't matter if you are selling or not the final product: no matter what is your market, always be ethical. 

In this particular case, the key elements in both games are so similar that one may believe that it was made by Cactus. At this point, Grickmin, it will be important to credit Cactus for the elements taken from his ideas. For instance, adding a "Original Concept by Cactus" and credit him for artworks that he created if you used any. And off course, keep the "Inspired by Psychosomnium". I'd also add a link to Cactus website. Make sure that people understand that you did this game but it's derived from Cactus ideas.

Ok so for now on, let's concentrate on the actual game and not what is going on between the two individuals. Cactus, Grickmin, please keep this private to prevent this from blowing out of proportions. I know you both don't want to make a big fuss and that you are not angry at each others but doing this publicaly has high risk of having the sh** hit the fan and you'll both get soiled.

If anybody else has something to say about that, message me privatly. For now, on we concentrate on Grickmin's game.

Cheers!

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2008, 10:31:56 AM »

Post edited:

Whoops sorry guys I was reading page 3 and replying as if the conversation was there, i didn't realize that there was this page 4 stuff so my post doesn't make much sense.  Sorry!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 11:35:56 AM by dustin » Logged
grickmin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2008, 11:01:33 AM »

Another bit of feedback, the death animation - or rather, the lack of a death animation - is extremely jarring. I understand about the event limit but still, it respawns too quickly and often leaves you thinking "WTF?? It didn't look like I hit anything then!"
If you could just make the game freeze for a moment before you respawn, then you would see clearly that you've hit the spikes and it probably wouldn't add any more events.

I totally agree with what you say, but at the same time I agree with Gainsworthy.
Right now the game flashes white and a sound is played when you die. I think that´s the best way to show that you´ve died in this game.
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2008, 10:39:17 PM »

Maybe grickmin is cactus' second personality, game developer fight club style..
lo-fi minds is actually a front for their project mayhem.

speaking of which, yesterday i was walking to work and saw a truck in the path.
outside the truck was a sign which said DANGER - BEES.
On top of the truck a guy in a suit was messing with the trees.
I saw and heard no bees or buzzing, but I skirted the truck just in case..
Anyways it was damn WEIRD.. what if that truck is driven by one of cactus' grickmin's minions, to launch bees all over the world, devastating humanity because..
uh..
because that would be mayhem!

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
grickmin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2008, 12:02:59 PM »

Please post comments about Brave Honey Bee only. Me and Cactus have already untangled the little dispute about BHB and that beehive.

Thanks!
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2008, 12:39:41 PM »

Yup. Read my previous post in this thread. I don't want to lock or delete posts.
Now, carry on. Smiley

grickmin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2008, 07:03:24 AM »

Brave Honey Bee is finished now!

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?mnged3xljt9
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2008, 09:26:33 PM »

----LOCKED----

:D

Original message:
Uhm, Guert, how do you lock a post?

Anyway, I'm gonna be trying this out soon.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 12:32:59 PM by Guert » Logged

moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2008, 12:20:52 AM »

Enjoyed this a lot. Has a nice feel and the game is forgiving enough (the difficulty rises just at the right pace). Well done.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2008, 07:11:40 PM »

What the hell, Guert :D

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic