Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411524 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 02:32:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBrainSplode! *released*
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: BrainSplode! *released*  (Read 2101 times)
RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: October 20, 2010, 01:19:19 PM »

DOWNLOAD PAGE:
http://www.redprodukt.com/blog/?page_id=100

BrainSplode is a new game from Rust Red Games about rockets and busting some alien brains! They came to suck the life out of the planet, but they didn’t expect to be BrainSploded!

As the game progresses, more stages are added to your rocket allowing for complex and exciting manouvers! Then, choose your own configuration to burst the brains!

-physically simulated explosion funnels down tunnels and around scenery!

-bouncy yellow pads!

-multiple solutions!

« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 02:21:21 PM by RedProdukt » Logged

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
Maunomau
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 03:12:12 PM »

Actually having to click the letters themselves to play is a little weird.
Explosions reach pretty far so sometimes I succeed when I was excepting to fail but you get used to the range quite fast so it didn't bother me anymore by the time I was done.
destructible obstacles feel pretty pointless when it's just shoot, shoot again and shoot one more time with no need to adjust. If there was some sort of rocket limit and/or levels were completable  without having to waste rockets on simply clearing the path they'd be fine imo.
RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 03:47:21 PM »

hi, thanks for playing Smiley

yeah I hear you. The scoring method isn't really set at the moment, but one thing I have in mind is a par system a bit like golf. So in most cases, its possible to hit the targets without hitting the obstacles, but if you hit one it will increase your number of shots to clear a level. Then your number of shots fired is used to rate your level clearance (eg, gold silver bronze)

I'm playing with a few ideas around this, but I'm open to suggestions too

Bootleg TurboDrive
www.richmakegame.com
ortoslon
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 12:31:16 AM »

controls feel imprecise, i want to be able to adjust power and angle separately (maybe using mouse wheel somewhere)
RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 01:32:02 AM »

hi ortoslon! is it the control of power you're referring to that feels imprecise?

I kind of like the simplicity of one input to control everything.. hmm- maybe if I increase the distance of the 'puller' then the resolution of the power would be greater.

OR, I could try moving the whole aim/power thing to the UI? then it will always be fairly large and give you that added control resolution

I'll try messing around see if I can give greater control without adding more inputs- if not, I'll give mouse wheel a go.

thanks for the feedback!

Bootleg TurboDrive
www.richmakegame.com
Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 02:28:20 AM »

I tried your game and I think it's addictive, but some points were already mentioned, sometimes you just need to make extra shoots because of an obstacles but that may be ok, since it's time sink in some way.

You could also make it, that particles of that obstacles (small rocks) could destroy targets as well

You can also add "rocket" limit and bonus points for every extra that you don't use -> Yes, you can also add pickable packets for rockets.

I'm having my eye on this game, keep it on Smiley

RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 04:47:30 AM »

UPDATED:
I've uploaded a new version (same download link) with UI based aiming, and also a 'laser sight' aiming aid

UI aiming does seem to sharpen things up, since you get a much bigger area to control the values. Ortoslon: I know you said you want seperate controls, but does this version feel like you have more precise control?

the laser sight: ideally, i'd like a little 'arc predicter' which shows the first part of the rockets predicted trajectory. For now though, this straight line will have to do. It does help though

Blodyavenger: hmm, I do like the idea of limited rockets but with rocket pickups if you're running low.. The other thing I was thinking about is items you *don't* want to hit. This would be pretty hard given the blast radius. I might just add little cute creatures in.. there's no penalty for killing them, you just feel bad about it Smiley. Or you get a bonus for how many you managed not to kill

Bootleg TurboDrive
www.richmakegame.com
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 05:12:04 AM »

I might just add little cute creatures in.. there's no penalty for killing them, you just feel bad about it Smiley
Seriously, how's that supposed to work? Evil

RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 03:38:57 AM »

Eya! update time Smiley + name update
download link is in the first post

been working mainly on graphics, but there's some gameplay tweaks too.
its much quicker to fire a new rocket after you've taken a shot- you can fire it quickly after the explosion, and grabbing the aimer will set the camera to its aim position

also I've added in these little creature things.. try not to kill them.. (or see how many you can massacre, Netsu Tongue )

Bootleg TurboDrive
www.richmakegame.com
Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 08:26:21 AM »

System is much easier to understand and to use now! (I like that aiming mechanism)
Wonderful work on graphics, everything looks cuter now, even small monster you've added,
which gives a nice feeling (maybe they are just a bit too cute for kililng Tongue)

Anyway, there few suggestion:
- green angle mechanism, where you set direction of a projectile. I was confused at start since I didn't know how to aim rocket correctily, maybe you should set that up in a bigger square like you have for a general aim. I don't know if this affects your mechanism in general since I saw it's not necessary to have in all levels but it could be locked up like you lock general aim

- turret aim could be still visible when it's locked, just make it darker (or grey?) when it's locked or something, because at first I thought it's a bug (I need to read instructions to understand it's not)

- turret aim control is nice but there's an issue where you need to be accurate and it's hard since it always move that circle in the center of the mouse, so you quickly get far away of your current position. Don't move circle in the cursor position, just move it where it is and then move it on

Keep it on, I like it a lot Smiley

RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 02:20:39 PM »

thanks Blodyavenger! I've updated the locked aim and the turret aim issues. for now the green angle thing will stay the same tho.

so, this is the first full release! see the original post for download details and spread the word pretty please Smiley

-new final level
-improved aim accuracy
-level flow tweaks
-new graphics
-new sounds
-music from Maf:   http://maf464.free.fr/

heres some pics:

Bootleg TurboDrive
www.richmakegame.com
Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 10:08:33 AM »

Great, that's exactly what I had in mind Smiley

I love new graphics, music and table hints over the maps (on the start), well done!
However, there are some bugs I found

1.) At a huge speed, rocket goes trough the walls (I can't tell at which angle...I forgot) but you should test out this issue

2.) At one level, "aim area" wasn't matching with the cannon aim, so I had to move aim a bit so the cannon aligned with that "aim area". It's a minor bug but it won't be hard to fix that out I believe

Are you going to make main menu and level selection maybe?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic