Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:39:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingHappy Happy Brick Catch (updated 2010-10-31)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Happy Happy Brick Catch (updated 2010-10-31)  (Read 8660 times)
Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2010, 10:31:17 AM »

Really enjoying it now - the extra graphics flair and faster ball add a lot. I'd love to see this with different brick shapes: triangles, stars, mushrooms, tetrominoes... But up a jumbled network of awesome shapes and this could be even cooler.

Also some kind of powerups would add to the pace a bit, or super golden blocks that give a 10x multiplier. That way you're scrambling around after different targets with different properties, and the bricks most worth catching aren't just the closest ones.

Also, add music and sound effects - it'll make it even better! I know you already know this, but you haven't done it yet and it surely can't be that big an effort Tongue This particular player would enjoy it, as making all the sound effects myself is starting to tire my mouth out.

I think this is a really neat and elegant piece of fun, and you should definitely try to get this out there and get people playing it, maybe even license it Wink

noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2010, 04:51:20 PM »

Ooh, it's so HAPPY! I love this! Except for the sun, he's kinda creepy, with his eyes moving and whatnot. I also like how the next level just scrolls down, it keeps the game going nice and fluid-like. Plus, you worked in the physics engine so it adds to the game instead of being a hindrance. And everything in the game is smiling at me! (which you really don't see in games nowadays...)

The only issue I have is that is that, when you lose a life, the next ball is immediately served, and missing THAT ball will cost you a life as well. It's a bit annoying, to say the least.

Keep working on this! You've got an awesome idea, explore it to the fullest!
Draknek
Level 6

"Alan Hazelden" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2010, 03:34:54 PM »

Really feel like this could use some sounds now, especially bricks yelling 'wheee!' and such.  Grin
Also, add music and sound effects - it'll make it even better! I know you already know this, but you haven't done it yet and it surely can't be that big an effort Tongue This particular player would enjoy it, as making all the sound effects myself is starting to tire my mouth out.
As I mentioned in that last update, I've asked a friend to make some sound effects. But I have also started grabbing some clips from freesound for placeholder effects.

Except for the sun, he's kinda creepy, with his eyes moving and whatnot.
He used to be even creepier when I first made him, this is an improvement but I still think he needs work. Not really sure how to fix it though.

The only issue I have is that is that, when you lose a life, the next ball is immediately served, and missing THAT ball will cost you a life as well. It's a bit annoying, to say the least.
I am aware of this needing to be changed but I have (wrongly) been ignoring it in preference of more interesting tasks. I will make sure to fix this in the next update though.

jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2010, 03:44:33 PM »

Except for the sun, he's kinda creepy, with his eyes moving and whatnot.
He used to be even creepier when I first made him, this is an improvement but I still think he needs work. Not really sure how to fix it though.

I have to disagree with this. I love the sun as he is. The creep factor is just enough to make him sincerely amusing Smiley

If anything, I would make look even more exciteable, with his mouth opening in the current 'D' shape smile when the ball is near to him, and turning into just a regular closed smile ')' when it's further away. Buuut that might be a little silly ...  Shrug
noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2010, 05:46:49 PM »

If I may offer a suggestion... (okay, that's a bad suggestion. A very bad suggestion. Probably even worse than the alternative...)
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2010, 06:37:05 PM »

Heh. The sun is excellently creepy. I like him.

It feels pretty hard to keep bricks on your paddle - it might be worth experimenting with having them 'stick' to it? - and my attention wasn't really held long enough to finish it.

But it's a nifty conceit. Keep at it!

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic