Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411840 Posts in 69419 Topics- by 58464 Members - Latest Member: Riya21

May 31, 2024, 04:38:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWho's checked out YAWMA?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Who's checked out YAWMA?  (Read 1675 times)
Scotma
Level 0

Yawma Games Director

View Profile WWW
« on: October 21, 2010, 08:08:11 PM »

For those who don't know, YAWMA is a kick arse new place to help support our indie brethren by bringing their content to a wider audience.

We like indies, or we wouldn't be here. We like to tell people about them, because they're cool. Most people that play indie games for the first time like them. We use social networks to share what we like. We like making money.

YAWMA takes all those things and lumps them together into one massive pot of 'like'. It only sells independent games and music (which includes indie OST's). It's connected directly to facebook, so whenever you buy something, it automatically shares with your friends... which is also awesome because you can also see what your friends buy. Since indies are often very seldom known about in the mainstream community, we get the chance to share what rocks with them so they can discover how cool games still are. Also, since YAWMA is connected to facebook, there's no need to learn YET another social network.

Then, on top of all that, if someone buys the same game as you because you shared it with them... you did the marketing that resulted in that sale. So we reward you for that sale with cash. Real cash that's transferred to any paypal account you choose.

So if you're new to YAWMA, check it out. It a sweet place to Discover new games and music, Share what you love, and Profit from doing what you do already... that is, eat sleep and breathe indies. You can check out the break down of how the YAWMA system works HERE!

So who here's used YAWMA? Who of the devs here have their game on YAWMA already? Check out the catalog thus far. If you've got a sick game or some sweet music, let me know. I'd love to chat... what's a game portal without your game in it?
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 08:27:54 PM »

Then, on top of all that, if someone buys the same game as you because you shared it with them... you did the marketing that resulted in that sale. So we reward you for that sale with cash. Real cash that's transferred to any paypal account you choose.

I'd rather the developers get that money....uhhhh.

I don't know, cool idea I guess. But you really don't need to be spamming up the forums with this.
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 08:46:24 PM »

An interesting idea; explicitly viral marketing of games.  Profit models on social networks always revolve around things like this, though I can't say whether I care for them.

Cred for being indie-focused though.  What kind of cut do you take?

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 09:28:22 PM »

Poked around the site. Interesting how some games that were already released as freeware are "pay what you want." Guess you don't allow developers to release their games as strictly freeware on your site?

I also don't see any recommended price for pay what you want games. A hypothetical generous user expecting a lengthy experience might be disappointed if he pays accordingly for JWAAP's five minute epic Strangers.

Clicking on 2D Boy brings me to the top of the page, instead of, say, showing me their site or other games by them.

You seem to be using YAWMA both as a collective noun for some social function (My YAWMA) and as the name of the site. No idea what it means. Yet Another Web Marketing Application?

It's connected directly to facebook, so whenever you buy something, it automatically shares with your friends... which is also awesome because you can also see what your friends buy.
Users will love this! Especially if it's opt-out.

So signing up to your site automatically shares your friends list with YAWMA? Do you keep data about people who haven't signed up to YAWMA? What happens if N discrete YAWMA users buy game X and then spam the walls of an N+1st friend who ends up buying the game?

Snark aside, it sounds like your hearts are in the right place indie-wise.

Edit:
http://yawma.net/what_is_yawma
You create a YAWMA by inviting your Facebook Friends to join you. They invite their Friends and before you know it you have created your own social discovery and sharing network for the latest music, games and apps. And, when downloads are purchased within your YAWMA, you profit upto 8%.

For example, if you add 25 Friends, who in turn do the same, and then each of those Friends of Friends add 25 Friends, you suddenly have a YAWMA of 16,275 members. If each Member of your YAWMA spent $10 on downloads in a given month, that would mean you would earn over $11,000 in YAWMA Cash Rewards! For just that month.... for spending only $10 yourself!
[...]
In addition to offering the potential for earning Cash Rewards,YAWMA includes a marketplace where users can buy and sell their YAWMA networks. Just imagine a Facebook App that lets you become a true entrepreneur! Trump that Trump!
So it's persistent referrals with a hint of pyramid schemes? I'm not sure I like thinking of my personal social network as a commodity to trade.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 09:34:12 PM by Noyb » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic