Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 04:31:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignWhat is the most Important thing to develop a game?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: What is the most Important thing to develop a game?  (Read 6521 times)
Jay Jeon
Level 0

Jay Jaewoo Jeon

View Profile WWW
« on: April 16, 2008, 06:44:36 AM »

Some kind of special systems(physics)?
or Rules?
or who will play?
or Contents?
or Only design?
Art?
anything else?

What do you think about it? what makes you think that?

yet...
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 06:59:43 AM »

Just to be sure of what you want to know... You are wondering what aspect of the game we feel is the most important when developing it? Like, the key aspect that drives the whole development of our personal games?

joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 08:07:15 AM »

I don't think there's a "right answer" - there are probably good examples of all of the things you listed being the driving factor behind a good game.

Although I think, aside from "special systems", all of the above are factors that any good game designer should think about for their game, whether it's the "most important" thing to them or not.

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
PenguinHat
Level 1

Hi everyone! Nice to meet you all!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 08:40:55 AM »

I'm not sure, but I can personally discount content. There's no point having content and nowt else.

Personally, I would come up with an idea, and then make a ruleset (for video games this would be an engine) to support it. And then get the engine work, and then build on it. Iterate, evolving the game over a period of time.
Shoot-em-upper
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 08:50:41 AM »

The engine is the second most important thing - the main requirement is that the game is fun(or, in the case of the Punishment series, hair-rippingly difficult).
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 10:04:31 AM »

stares off to the side for a full minute

drinks a glass of wine while looking at the camera

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 10:09:38 AM »

:D :D :D

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 12:00:40 PM »

by "What is the most Important thing to develop a game?"
I assume you are asking "What is the most important thing to develop for a game? (physics, rules, art, story, ect)".
The easy answer is: an enjoyable experience. Games should be an enjoyable experience. As developers it is our job to manufacture these enjoyable experiences. The hard answer is: there is no exact formula for manufacture an enjoyable experience (as much as EA has researched it). You are best served making what you think would be fun and seeing where that takes you.

On the other hand if your question was really:
"What is the most important thing to do when developing a game?"
My answer is: come up with a coherent plan that you have the ability and resources to accomplish. If something is beyond your ability, study that thing before you make it an integral part of your plan.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 12:03:07 PM »

by "What is the most Important thing to develop a game?"
I assume you are asking "What is the most important thing to develop for a game? (physics, rules, art, story, ect)".
The easy answer is: an enjoyable experience. Games should be an enjoyable experience. As developers it is our job to manufacture these enjoyable experiences. The hard answer is: there is no exact formula for manufacture an enjoyable experience (as much as EA has researched it). You are best served by making what you think would be fun and seeing where that takes you.

On the other hand if your question was really:
"What is the most important thing to do when developing a game?"
My answer is: come up with a coherent plan that you have the ability and resources to accomplish. If something is beyond your ability, study that thing before you make it an integral part of your plan.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
darthlupi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 12:11:10 PM »

I've put a lot of thought into this.  I like to make a toy and then a world for the toy to be played with in.

There have been tons of games with bad rules and crappy stories that had such a fun toy to play with.

Be a toy maker first, and a game designer second.

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 12:31:24 PM »

finishing!
DIT
Level 0

O_O"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 02:44:42 PM »

I would say, "the most important part is making a game with a gameplay that works" where "works" means that is fun and accessible to play.

And of course, finishing.

Marco Di Timoteo | Studio Evil | Twitter: @evilredpenguin | My game on Greenlight
Jay Jeon
Level 0

Jay Jaewoo Jeon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 05:36:58 PM »

Just to be sure of what you want to know... You are wondering what aspect of the game we feel is the most important when developing it? Like, the key aspect that drives the whole development of our personal games?
I mean "the most important when developing game". Smiley

yet...
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 06:26:27 PM »

Do NONE of you pitiful earthlings have GAME?

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 06:32:10 PM »

There is no unique feature that makes a game good: it's a sum of many aspects put together in a particular fashion that makes it a whole. So, basicaly, there is no "one aspect" that makes something good, and that's in every creative field. There is no "one aspect" in movies or music or drawing, it's a lot of different things.

Usualy, a question covers other questions. For instance, why would you like to know which aspect is the most important? Are you developing a game right now and feel like you need guidance? Or maybe it's just curiosity? In all cases, perhaps if you tell what is your motivation behind asking this question you will get a more precise answer. Smiley

Later!

Jay Jeon
Level 0

Jay Jaewoo Jeon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 07:15:56 PM »

thanks.
now I got it.(a little bit Roll Eyes)
and
Be a toy maker first, and a game designer second.
it's very impressive.this word saying everything about it.
I can enjoy developing!

yet...
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 07:30:57 PM »

The most important thing in games is having lots of bloom.

Another most important thing is making sure your game is a lot like a game that was already made before. That way you are sure people are going to like it.

Jay Jeon
Level 0

Jay Jaewoo Jeon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 07:34:45 PM »

There is no unique feature that makes a game good: it's a sum of many aspects put together in a particular fashion that makes it a whole. So, basicaly, there is no "one aspect" that makes something good, and that's in every creative field. There is no "one aspect" in movies or music or drawing, it's a lot of different things.

Usualy, a question covers other questions. For instance, why would you like to know which aspect is the most important? Are you developing a game right now and feel like you need guidance? Or maybe it's just curiosity? In all cases, perhaps if you tell what is your motivation behind asking this question you will get a more precise answer. Smiley

Later!

Actually, Iam working on a little game.
but I don't have much time to finish it.
I thought, If I know the important aspects,I can solve it.(scheduling, rules, ...)
I need your help.
so, I asked. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 07:44:22 PM by imwill » Logged

yet...
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 03:50:27 AM »

At this point, my advice for you would be to keep everything within reach. As mentionned before, the toughest part of making a little game is actualy finishing it. They take a lot more efforts than they seem and most people give up halfway through it's creation.

If you have to cut on features, my thumbrule for that matter is to keep the bare gameplay essentials. A good game, even with bad graphics, remains a good game when all the nice stuff has been taken out.  So, make sure you core mechanisms are working well and that the player can play one entire play session. Keep it simple, keep it fun and the game will have something to offer even if the graphics aren't all that or that this "cool exploding thing" was removed from the game. Your goal as an entertainer is to make your audience have some fun with your work. In this case, you want the player to enjoy the game and gameplay is strongest part of what makes a game fun.

Well, I hope it helps you a bit Smiley
Good luck!   

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 10:33:08 AM »

The most important thing to any game is Love.

Most games lack Love nowadays. It saddens my heart and that of the unicorns.

People should think more of the unicorns.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic