Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 07:03:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWhat do you use for level editing?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What do you use for level editing?  (Read 4179 times)
FatHat
Level 1

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2010, 01:30:11 PM »

I've recently become aware of the fact that I'm REALLY REALLY LAZY, and I'm sick of writing level editors (of which I've written quite a few).

What do you use for level editing? Right now I'm playing with using Inkscape to make SVGs and embedding JSON in the description tags for game-specific metadata, but I'm curious what others have come up with. Custom editors? Or have you found something else off the shelf you can jury rig? (3d modelling packages seem like a good idea, if I were making a 3d game right now)
noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 02:25:33 PM »

http://www.ogmoeditor.com/

It's like Jesus in level-editor form.
Draknek
Level 6

"Alan Hazelden" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 03:09:10 PM »

Right now I'm playing with using Inkscape to make SVGs and embedding JSON in the description tags for game-specific metadata
I've had success with this method, except I used the Inkscape XML inspector to embed extra XML attributes for game metadata. Possibly a simpler solution than yours?

If I'm making a tile-based game I will generally make a very simple in-game editor.

FatHat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 03:44:20 PM »

Right now I'm playing with using Inkscape to make SVGs and embedding JSON in the description tags for game-specific metadata
I've had success with this method, except I used the Inkscape XML inspector to embed extra XML attributes for game metadata. Possibly a simpler solution than yours?

If I'm making a tile-based game I will generally make a very simple in-game editor.

Hmm, well I just figured the easiest thing to do would be to shove strings into the description field and deserialize it in python. I kind of have a deep aversion to XML.. because it's XML.  Wink That's not a bad idea though...

If it were a tile based game I'd be thinking the same thing, but I wanted to do something a bit more interesting than tiles.
FatHat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 03:46:51 PM »

I always knew jesus would come back as a level editor. That looks pretty handy though, I'll check it out  Smiley
Cimpresovec
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 12:13:27 AM »

I just quickly write my own level editor that only uses keyboard shortcuts. So at the end only I know how it works, but it works.

But you should try Ogmo Editor. I never tried it but heard that it is really good.

Programming is the closest thing I have to magic.
snowyowl
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 04:44:42 AM »

Seconded. I tend to use the Game Maker level editor, but (obviously) that only works with Game Maker games. Ogmo comes a close second.
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 10:51:31 AM »

I made a crummy little tile-based editor back when I started on Nothing, and I've been using it for pretty much everything ever since.
jrjellybeans
Level 3

They're All Gonna Laugh At You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 02:07:04 PM »

I've created my own Level Editor.  But, it was based on Game Makers.  I actually put a video of my Level Editor

I kind of wish that I had built a Level Editor a long time ago.  It was fun to make and really useful...

Noel Berry
Level 4

Yarr!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 06:35:41 PM »

Depending on the game, I either create a very simplistic level editor, or use Ogmo Editor

raleigh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 10:21:21 PM »

DAME looks good. I haven't used it, but I figure it at least deserves a mention.
Trevor Dunbar
Level 10

Working on unannouned fighting game.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 07:45:10 AM »

Trey the Toucan Level Editor Epileptic

Toucantastic.
rogerlevy
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 12:38:25 PM »

Mappy for non-Flash stuff.

OGMO for Flash stuff.

Don't particularly LOVE either.  Any serious map editor would let you see changes to your tiles in real-time as you edit them; which requires an integrated graphics editor.  ProMotion is great for maps but doesn't do go beyond editing graphics.  'swhy i haven't bought it yet.

I'm working on my own system that would integrate all sorts of small, self-written data-editors into one space, so all changes are seen in real-time.  It's an idea I've wanted to do properly for years.
konjak
Level 4

Bad to the bone.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 11:58:18 AM »

I have yet to finish a game that had its own level editor (Solar Plexus had a crappy one), but the one I made in Construct is really great and dynamic for me, making level-making real fast and comfortable.

You don't NEED to make one in Construct since it has its own, but if you make your own you're making it the way you like it, and I guess you don't have to worry about really long save times or something since all the maps would be inside Construct's file.

Anywho, I love making editors.
Nix
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 07:26:13 PM »

Ogmo Editor would be even more useful if it were open source.
krasimir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 03:20:14 AM »

I have tried using Tiled because it has isometric tiles. Unfortunately, it needed some customizing and my programmer screw that up.

Anyway, Tiled is here: http://www.mapeditor.org/

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic