Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:13:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Indie Game Legend
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: The Indie Game Legend  (Read 63310 times)
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« on: October 25, 2010, 01:30:13 AM »

PHUBANSOFT PRESENTS...

Not long ago, independent game developers from around the world began to disappear.
TIGSource Intelligence was able to trace their whereabouts to an alien world full of vicious inhabitants.
It is your mission to rescue the indies and your saga will become The Indie Game Legend.

>>>IMAGE GALLERY<<<

The Indie Game Legend, or TIGL for short, is a spiritual sequel to the NES cult-classic of a similar title- The Guardian Legend. The gameplay and themes are also very reminiscent of Guardian Legend, as you take control of a space warrior while exploring over 125 rooms spanning 5 different areas. At your disposal will be an assortment of 8 different weapons to dispatch dozens of enemies and bosses. Solve the puzzles of each area, defeat the bosses, rescue the captive indies, rinse, and repeat until you complete your challenging mission.

This game was developed specifically for the enjoyment of this community, as well as fans of The Guardian Legend, so the humor is very referential. Though, even if you don't get the jokes you should still be able to enjoy the game on its own, and I hope you will!

Download 21.6 MB Zip
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 03:43:13 PM by phubans » Logged

flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 01:53:48 AM »

Wow! Which softwares are you using to develop it?

GordonCSA
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 06:39:23 AM »

Not bad looking, but pixel size seems a little inconsistent.

Circle Stone Aviator
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 02:44:32 PM »

Not bad looking, but pixel size seems a little inconsistent.

Yeah, it's due to GM's scaling issues, mostly. I used Chevy Ray's fix for it, but then I get black boxes around all my sprites on my machine Sad

flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 09:23:26 PM »

Yeah, it's due to GM's scaling issues

That answers to me, too. Smiley

pgil
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 07:37:49 AM »

Yeah, it's due to GM's scaling issues, mostly.

Why don't you just.. you know.. draw all your graphics at the same scale?

(unless you're doing lots of dynamic scaling, in which case, ignore me)
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 08:17:37 AM »

GM has a weird method for scaling up graphics in view even if they're all drawn at the same scale. As a result, you'll get some pixels that are varying degrees thinner or larger than others. For instance, if you compare the Zelda-esque square blocks that form a :: pattern in the room, you'll notice that their outside edge is 1 monitor pixel wide. This is a fault of GM, but thanks to a surface script written by Chevy Ray and a little monkey-wrenching by Rdein the problem has been solved!

Although, Gordon might have been referring to the shot and red enemy's heavy pixel outline, which was the result of me just scaling things up x2 and not bothering to clean up the sprites to have the same pixel outline density. I'm still on the fence about whether I want to change that or not, though, cause I kinda like it.

So far, the game features:

- Aiming independent to movement (WASD + Mouse)
- Room-to-room movement
- Lock-in fights (still working on getting the door to open properly, though)
- Stackable, temporary power-ups that include health, speed up, rapid shot, big shot, and spread shot
- Two enemy types
- Breakable crates
- Collectible coins that are dropped by enemies and crates
- Character health meter

Upcoming features:

- Gamepad support
- 2 player co-op
- More HUD elements (score, collected power-ups & duration)
- Hopefully a Metroid-esque mini-map
- More enemies
- More power-ups
- More rooms
- Bosses
- Doors that require certain keys to open
- Etc

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 12:18:35 AM »

This should go in DevLogs. You should know this by now phubans. Moving.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Ant
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 02:10:31 AM »

GM has a weird method for scaling up graphics in view even if they're all drawn at the same scale. As a result, you'll get some pixels that are varying degrees thinner or larger than others. For instance, if you compare the Zelda-esque square blocks that form a :: pattern in the room, you'll notice that their outside edge is 1 monitor pixel wide. This is a fault of GM, but thanks to a surface script written by Chevy Ray and a little monkey-wrenching by Rdein the problem has been solved!

I've had that problem in the past when using Chevy's surface scaling script and small sprites. Adding a 1 pixel transparent border around the edge of the sprite seemed to do the trick.

//edit
Ooh actually what with the game being about indies it could be pretty cool if all the devs here contributed an enemy.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 02:27:54 AM by caiys » Logged
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 12:07:51 PM »

This should go in DevLogs. You should know this by now phubans. Moving.

What's projects for? I'm confused and don't like reading!  Huh?

Also, I got a bit of work done on this during TIGJam... Alec S helped out and got me set up with a SWEET Metroid-esque mini-map using ... arrays!  Shocked

Although admittedly, I'm still mostly like, "Fucking arrays! How do they work?!"

At this point the core stuff is pretty much done and I'm in the process of building the content. All the rooms for the first area are pretty much in and they just need to be set up with enemies, traps, and obstacles. The gameplay is more or less a "satisfactory shooter" that gives you a lot of stuff to kill and blow up with really powerful weapons.

Oh, and Stevie (hryx) is doing some really sweet tunes for this! I'll post a better update soon!

hryx
Level 0

bleached fife

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 12:39:56 AM »

Got a few rough tunes ♪ going for this so far to keep up with Phubans' speedy progress. Anyone in the Bay Area who wants to see how badass this game looks right now should come to the SF meetup on Saturday.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 12:42:03 PM »

Oh, hey, a devlog for this.  Nice.

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 05:47:05 PM »

Yep! It's coming along quite nicely, too... I got it set up and working with an XBox 360 style controller I got this weekend! The first area (which is 25 rooms) is pretty much complete... It features objectives, a boss, and a captive you rescue who opens up the path to the next area, which I'm currently working on.

Each area will be about 25 rooms, referred to as a sector, each with a different theme (standard, forest, ice, desert, lava, etc) The sectors unlock by passing the previous one, which means beating the boss and saving the captive indie developer. The grid can allow for up to 225 rooms, but that might take a bit longer than expected, so I'm probably going to keep it to 5 sectors (125 rooms). So, the game is currently 30% complete in 3 weeks, and since the rest of the stuff at this point just involves adding content... Well, I hope to have this game finished and released by this year's end!

I will try to finish sector 2 by the end of this week and put together a title screen, then perhaps I'll release what I've got so far.

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 12:47:28 AM »

Well this project is now one month old and it's already 40 - 50% complete! I expect to have it finished in the next 3 - 6 weeks (by the end of December/early January.

Technical features:

- Microsoft XBox360 style gamepad support!
- WASD + Mouse control scheme for those who don't have/don't want to use gamepad!
- Arrow keys work for movement, too! (You're welcome, lefties!)
- Chipilicious tunes by Stevie "hryx" Hryciw
- Minimap functionality courtesy of Alec "male2CB" S
- Pixel-perfect surface scaling thanks to Chevy Ray's script and rdein's help
- Sounds by sfxr

Content features:

- Spiritual successor to the NES cult-classic The Guardian Legend
- Two complete areas: Sector 1 and Sector 2, the Silicon Forest
- Over 50 rooms
- 3 types of weapon power-ups
- 3 types of character upgrades including weapon, health, and speed
- Collectible ammo that refills the ammo meter
- 7 enemy types
- 2 bosses
- 2 captive indies to rescue
- Various interactive environment objects including explosive blocks and electrified floors
- Puzzles that require pushing switches, finding secret rooms, etc.
- Objective-driven gameplay (collect data keys for the computer to unlock the door to fight the boss to save the indie... repeat...)

Current WIP:

- Titlescreen
- Sector 3: Frozen Corridor
- External Save & Load system
- More polishing & fixing on all existing elements

Goals for Completion:

- 5 different-themed areas, each with a boss
- 10~ indie developer cameos
- Over a dozen different enemies
- Up to 5 different weapon types, possibly stackable
- Each area introduces new enemies, traps, and puzzles
- Plenty of other secrets and fun surprises!
- And more!

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 08:07:18 AM »

Very cute, I like it.  Kiss

Will post actual, useful feedback when game is released/playable.
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 01:44:55 PM »

Thanks for the bumps! Area 3 (the Frozen Corridor) is finished except for the boss, which I'm working on now. Once that's done, the game will be 60% complete, so I'll just mark it as 60% complete now Smiley Everything seems to be running on schedule; I should be able to wrap this game up in the next 4 weeks.

Next up is Sector 4: The Glass Desert!

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 04:34:14 PM »

This is fantastic and I wanna play it.

hi
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 04:35:26 PM »

Hilariously meta, and I just can't get enough meta. It's an essential part of your diet!
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 06:57:45 PM »

Will the desert boss be (a) cactus?
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 01:41:45 PM »

Nah... Having the indies as bosses (or having their creations as bosses) is a cool idea, but in this story they are captives and that will be revealed in the end  Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic