Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:51:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Indie Game Legend
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: The Indie Game Legend  (Read 63113 times)
MaloEspada
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 05:24:48 PM »

i'm glad to have helped, phubans Smiley

this looks cool. can i get in for beta testing?!
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2010, 05:27:31 PM »

oh wow I hadn't seen those last screens, mang. This is lookin' pretty damn fly.

Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 08:34:34 PM »

Pierog strolls in

haha this premise is awesome.

X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2010, 02:35:12 PM »

I heard you're using arrays like a badass.

destiny is truth pre-op
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2010, 04:54:33 PM »

U herd rite!

I'm about 70% done on this game, would have probably been further if I hadn't spent my weekend playing this.

So with the holiday coming up I'm not sure if I'm going to have this game finished before the end of the year or slightly after, but I am going to be stuck on a train for a total of 6 days (3 one way and 3 on the way back) so yeah, I can probably finish the rest of the game in that time!

I'm really glad to hear that you're all excited about this game and I'll be happy to let anyone who's interested do some pre-release beta testing. Just PM me if you're interested and I'll link you to the latest build. Limit the first 3, though... And rdein already called dibs, so 2. I don't want everyone to play this game before it's released!

Beer!

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2010, 01:03:34 AM »

Do you guys like updates? I'm just about 80% done with this project now Wink

Battling Speyeders in Sector 3

Trapped in a room with four Walking Gunners!

Which will you choose?

99 rooms in-game as of writing... Only 30 more to go!

So... Are you guys ready to renounce those OTHER indies and accept me as your indie overlord?  Cheesy

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2010, 12:06:13 PM »

Cool game.

So Phubans, are you the hero or badass master villain?  Durr...?

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2010, 12:43:38 PM »

Hand Shake Right Shocked Hand Shake Left

*shakes you*

WHO HAVE YOU BEEN TALKING TO?!?!

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2010, 12:59:07 AM »

Okay, so I think I'm gonna need some help or at least pointed in the right direction to fix a finish this game:

1) Anyone here have really badass illustration skills? I'd love to do a super-sick epic/dramatic box-art style illustration for this game. I was thinking of doing a limited print of the game (similar to what cactus did with Norrland) and I'd be willing to share a percentage of any sales for this task! Something like this comes to mind; perhaps a cool collage of some of the indies who appear in this game (like Derek, etc) with their heads/bodies super-imposed against each other for a really dramatic effect.

2) I'm currently using GM's built-in save & load system, which is basically a save-state, which is fine, but now I want the game to have a lives system, so I need to write some variables externally for this and I'm not entirely sure how to do that. I'm guessing it's probably pretty easy, but maybe there's a really good save/load engine out there you can direct me to? Thing is, my rooms are all persistent, and while I was thinking of having them reset if the game resets, I've come to realize that's probably not a good idea now the way things are setup, and it would break a lot of stuff probably.

3) I'm having this one issue with my character getting stuck in this one room that features moving floors. The player's movement is working on hspeed and vspeed and when the player collides with a wall, this code is executed:

Code:
if (place_meeting(x,yprevious,other))
x=xprevious;

if (place_meeting(xprevious,y,other))
y=yprevious;

Which works pretty well; he's stopped by walls but he's able to slide against them. Now, with the moving floors, it sets his x and y variables to +1 to relative position, which will put him into walls if the floor is moving towards one, despite the code above. I guess I could just tell the floors to set his direction instead of his x/y or something... I dunno, I'll mess around with it and delete this if that works.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2010, 01:20:23 AM »

thief!!

btw i'm a beta tester still right?

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2010, 01:27:14 AM »

I LOVE UPDATES

hi
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2010, 01:32:05 AM »

3)... Now, with the moving floors, it sets his x and y variables to +1 to relative position, which will put him into walls if the floor is moving towards one, despite the code above.
You could use gamemaker's built-in "if position is collision free" check (I don't remember the code for it, but it should be in the help), but I'm not sure how it would work if the code for moving the character is in the floor object.
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2010, 01:58:50 AM »

@ Eres: Heh, that Blue Lander is the ONLY thing I ripped from TGL, and as you can see, I modified him slightly... Not to avoid copyright infringement; I doubt Compile even exists anymore. It's more of a humble cameo/direct reference because I love TGL.

And yes, you can test what I've got so far, which brings the amount of people testing the game to 3: rdein, caiys, and you, so everyone else will just have to wait until the game is released to play it!

@ mokesmoe, I was thinking of doing that, but I think it only checks for solids, or "all", and I don't have my walls set to solid and I'm not sure what kind of trouble that might cause, but I'm sure I can figure something out... Thanks!

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2010, 03:49:09 PM »

position_meeting(x,y,obj) Returns whether at position (x,y) there is an instance obj. obj can be an object, an instance id, or the keywords self, other, or all.
This should work.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2010, 04:47:18 PM »

or place_meeting(x,y,obj), which checks the calling instance's entire collision box rather than a single point.

if !place_meeting(x+1,y,wall) x += 1
if !place_meeting(x,y+1,wall) y += 1

or something, I dunno how you have it set up.

Kit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2010, 09:32:29 PM »

Well, the screenshots look fantastic. Can't wait to try this out when it's finished.

The Guardian Legend is an awesome game, total classic.

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2011, 11:26:46 AM »

So close... Just need to do the final boss battle and ending sequence stuff that follows, but this is gonna be a big chunk of stuff! I plan to have it done and released by the end of this month! Stay tuned...

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2011, 11:28:57 AM »

Randar is an awesome dude (and I suspect he is Kirby's father.)  I'm sure Compile won't mind.  Wink

Looking forward to the release!  It shall be glorious.  Beer!

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
dongle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2011, 07:45:45 PM »

Keep on truckin', poobands

Chris Pavia
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2011, 07:47:59 PM »

I will play the crap outta this.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic