Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 07:44:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralThe Rules of Engagement
Poll
Question: How does the Mario advert at the bottom of this post make you feel?
Like I need a shower - 70 (14.8%)
Fruity fresh - 162 (34.2%)
Does anyone else think that Mario shouldn't be looking at a young boy that way? - 242 (51.1%)
Total Voters: 404

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: The Rules of Engagement  (Read 64571 times)
Pizza Face
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2009, 04:04:21 PM »

Hi, I'm new to this forum and fairly new to gaming. I've been learning C++ and OpenGL on my own and fooling around with Blender. Over the past couple of days I wrote my own version of the classic "Asteroids"--woo hoo!

Anyway, I was thinking about the idea of plugging your own game and the whole idea people seem to have that good stuff will get discovered somehow! I work as a freelance editor for Penguin Putnam and I talk to lots of people with books and manuscripts looking for advice, and plenty of their stuff is as good or better than what I work on (stuff being published). But usually the published stuff has an author who has some kind of fame or name or credential or whatever.

I guess my point is that lots of good books never get published--I know this for a fact. The same is probably true of games (at least the idea behind the game, even if the execution is imperfect). So, I probably fall on the side of saying that if someone wants to say "Hey, I'm Bob, and here is the URL to my game," I don't really see the problem with that (assuming Bob doesn't repost his message a jillion times). I mean, no one is forced to check out Bob's site or his game, so what's the harm? If that's all Bob has to say, then so be it (maybe he writes good code but is otherwise illiterate).

Just my two cents. Beer!
ChevyRay
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2009, 07:04:47 AM »

A lot of people do do that. We usually just like it that they introduce themselves in the introductory thread first; it just shows respect for the website and community, and also shows that the person at least took the effort to read the forum rules and have a look around before posting. Posting an introduction is a sign that they actually read their way around (even a little bit). Jehova's Witnesses don't just open the door and sit on your couch and start asking if you've heard the good news -- they knock on the door, introduce themselves politely and usually shake their hand, and then get to business.

Lots of folks here just make a little introduction and then post their game, which is usually just fine Smiley Just adding that slight personal touch to each engagement keeps the internet from being slightly less of a pollutant place in general.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2009, 03:35:50 PM »

Hi, I'm new to this forum and fairly new to gaming. I've been learning C++ and OpenGL on my own and fooling around with Blender. Over the past couple of days I wrote my own version of the classic "Asteroids"--woo hoo!

Anyway, I was thinking about the idea of plugging your own game and the whole idea people seem to have that good stuff will get discovered somehow! I work as a freelance editor for Penguin Putnam and I talk to lots of people with books and manuscripts looking for advice, and plenty of their stuff is as good or better than what I work on (stuff being published). But usually the published stuff has an author who has some kind of fame or name or credential or whatever.

I guess my point is that lots of good books never get published--I know this for a fact. The same is probably true of games (at least the idea behind the game, even if the execution is imperfect). So, I probably fall on the side of saying that if someone wants to say "Hey, I'm Bob, and here is the URL to my game," I don't really see the problem with that (assuming Bob doesn't repost his message a jillion times). I mean, no one is forced to check out Bob's site or his game, so what's the harm? If that's all Bob has to say, then so be it (maybe he writes good code but is otherwise illiterate).

Just my two cents. Beer!
I think the problem with this analogy is that the TIGSource forums don't publish games, it's a social community. A better analogy would be when your in the pub with your mates and those annoying street sellers come in and break up your conversation just to flog their wares. I'm fine if one of my mates tells me that the street seller outside has some great stuff, or even if a mate tries selling me his own stuff, but having a complete stranger butt in just to sell me stuff is plain rude. Anyway that's just my view. Shrug

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2009, 11:17:38 AM »

the creator of Cheetahmen II
Oh hahaha, I am going to enjoy this forum. Kiss

I would have also ban the creators of cheetah girl also  Lips Sealed, you can understand if you have little sisters ...

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2009, 08:21:26 PM »

Only if you take a shower and get "fruity fresh" for me! Well, hello there!

...And that's what new users should have to do before they can pimp their games!
It's a guaranteed spam-blocker. Gentleman
BoxedLunch
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2010, 10:26:13 AM »

How could something like this not be crisp audible chocolate providing hours of entertainment?
Every time that movie is on tv, I die a little inside and adolf hitler comes closer to being reborn.Droop
Carl
Level 0

rugs and roses

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2010, 05:09:28 PM »

Shocked Cheetah girls...Highschool Musical...Camp Rock...   Facepalm

I am just glad that there weren't any games breeding out.

@BoxedLunch:If they try taking your corn away again,just run away,then as you're running quickly eat the corn.
                                               _______
ps.mario should stay inside the magic box(tv) [SMB Mario],but I wouldn't mind peach washing my hair Well, hello there!                           

Yours Sincerely<br /><br />Carl
alspal
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2010, 09:33:46 PM »

There should be a rule against quote dumping (i.e., quoting an entire post that is directly above your own) its severely annoying.
Kim
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2010, 01:15:59 AM »

Only if you take a shower and get "fruity fresh" for me! Well, hello there!

...And that's what new users should have to do before they can pimp their games!
It's a guaranteed spam-blocker. Gentleman

As a new user, I'm starting to get a little bit scared now..   Concerned
ADDatWork23
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2010, 08:50:58 PM »

Hey, I'm pretty new to tigsource and introduced myself...making the stupid mistake a lot of people apparently made, time to shower with Mario!  Cry

But anyway, I had a question about TIG, I couldnt find this anywhere so I thought I'd ask here:  how do the levels on the site work?  I've noticed that 10 seems to be the maximum anyone can get but how much do you have to go for the different levels?
genericuser
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2010, 01:32:21 AM »

Hey, I'm pretty new to tigsource and introduced myself...making the stupid mistake a lot of people apparently made, time to shower with Mario!  Cry

But anyway, I had a question about TIG, I couldnt find this anywhere so I thought I'd ask here:  how do the levels on the site work?  I've noticed that 10 seems to be the maximum anyone can get but how much do you have to go for the different levels?

100 posts for level 1, 200 posts for level 2, and so on.

The postcounts were removed, IIRC, to get rid of stuff like postcount competitions and comparisons.
alspal
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2010, 01:41:19 AM »

You're meant to be pretend the levels don't exist (because they're the same thing as post count, just represented in a different form).
ADDatWork23
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2010, 06:53:16 AM »

100 posts for level 1, 200 posts for level 2, and so on.

The postcounts were removed, IIRC, to get rid of stuff like postcount competitions and comparisons.

That makes sense, at ScrewAttack, we've had some problems with our g1 points system (and a few with our new points system)  Seems a lot less problimatic to have it this way.  Thanks GenericUser and alastair john jack  Beer!
Zenorf
Level 1

Because it had to be done

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2010, 10:50:47 AM »

Maybe if you could delete your old posts you can stay at level 0 forever.

Failure is not an option, but it's always a possibility.

www.radiationburn.net
Barefists
Level 1

Prepare for unforseen consequences.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2010, 02:45:25 AM »

I always thought post counts were elitist inventions.  Undecided
The little "Level 0" beside my name makes me feel small and insignificant compared to the veterans.

Paradox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2010, 05:29:33 PM »

Rules seem fare enough :D
[/quote]
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2010, 03:12:14 PM »

Nobody gives a shit what level you are. At least I don't. It's not just because I should realistically be level 98.

I spend way too much time around here.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2010, 03:17:46 PM »

Just a heads up, I took a small liberty to edit the original post to mention the Announcements forum, cause it didn't yet.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2010, 04:07:05 PM »

That's very fruity fresh of you, Melly. Hand Clap
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2010, 08:51:20 AM »

Got a question about DA ROOLZ. Tiger

What is the policy on thread necromancy?
With the summer manbaby influx, there are a lot of people reviving long dead threads...especially old devlogs and unfinished contest games, wherein their post is usually something to the tune of 'WHen is GAM come ouT?!'

I've been on forums where reviving a dead thread got you thrown in the snake pit and on forums where starting a new thread that may have been discussed 8 years ago still got you set on fire for repeating the thread.

I know it's easy enough to just let it go away, I'm just curious what the official stance is. Cave Story

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic