Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 02:12:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingStrange World: Castaway
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Strange World: Castaway  (Read 1806 times)
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« on: October 27, 2010, 08:17:30 AM »

Strange World: Castaway is a puzzle-platform game, where the most important thing is vibe. In SW:C you are taking control over agile alien, which has got some special abilities. He can slide on the walls, he can double jump, regenerate health by eating strange flying goos, fight enemies with mace etc. Your main task is to find way out from caves and collect all missing parts from your spaceship.
Here is an official site of project - http://pigames.pl/projects/sw-c/   with links, screenshots, info, etc.

Screenshots:

I need feedback before i release full version so i will know what i have to change in game, here is a link to gameplay - http://www.indiedb.com/games/strange-world-castaway/videos/strange-world-castaway-caves
It shows only half of levels in game, without underground city maps.
Thanks for watching Smiley
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 10:16:42 AM by ANtY » Logged

flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 09:53:27 AM »

Congratulations, it looks very nice. Hand Thumbs Up Left There are thow things I would improve. The first one is the absence of feedback when you're hitted: the only visual feedback is in the top-left HUD. The second one is the brown tile you've used for the ground: it's flat.

Zillix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 09:54:21 AM »

Excellent job on the ambiance of the game.  The music and various critters are well done; this is the sort of thing that attracts me to a game.

Visually, I think that a lot more could be done with the backgrounds.  In the demo and the video, they're pretty bland compared with the level of detail in your other sprites.  This is most noticeable when there's minimal terrain or platforms on the screen.  You could put some sort of unobtrusive pattern into it. A bit of parallax scrolling could give it some depth, especially in the cave region.

The only other graphical thing that bothered me was the fact that there was no jump animation for the character; it felt a little odd to jump (and double jump) with no visual feedback or reaction from the character.

In the demo, I felt that the floating eyeball shooters were a little too accurate (or their bullets were too fast), making it somewhat frustrating to try to dodge them.  This may be due in part to the fact that I didn't realize that you could attack until I watched the trailer after I had played, but it seemed a little unfair that you could be hit from creatures that weren't even onscreen.

I look forward to seeing a release version!

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 10:11:15 AM »

Good point, ill add some getting_hit animation.
Music is made by my friend - gn0me specially for our game :]
Ill try to add some objects in background.
There is a jump "frame" but it can be not very different from normal walking. Im rather programmer than visual artist and i made these animations about 6 months ago, ill try to improve jump animation.
Its easy to dodge eyeball's projectiles, but not when ur climbing Smiley

Thanks for that comments

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 10:15:15 AM »

Finished menu screens:

flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 10:53:31 AM »

Finished menu screens:

Very nice! Hand Thumbs Up Left I dislike the shadows: in the first image the shadows of the buttons are sharp, in the other images these are soft; it's a lack of coherence.

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 11:53:19 AM »

Fixed Smiley

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 09:15:48 AM »

So after hard work (my first time) i have finished website for this game - http://pigames.pl/swc/index.php
How is it?

flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 11:44:52 AM »

The graphics of the site is nice, but you could add some contents: actually the site doesn't tell so much to a visitor.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic