Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 07:32:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingYou Hate You
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: You Hate You  (Read 1981 times)
LeFishy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: October 27, 2010, 05:59:11 PM »

So this game is workingly titled You Hate You or UHU.

It is incredibly simple in both gameplay and presentation at the moment and I am looking for ways of sexing up the look of the thing if not changing the gameplay much.

Ideas I have had include pretty particle explosions and some starfield stuff with PARALLAX SCROLLING.

Use the arrow keys to get the yellow rings.

Avoid your evil clones.

Press R to restart when you die.

Win.

The score you receive on collecting a ring is based on the number of steps you took to reach it. With shorter journeys resulting in more points.

It is Unity.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 06:05:31 PM »

I only managed 1392.  It's a pretty neat idea, although I feel the gameplay should probably not be "turn-based."  Of course, then it'd be a lot tougher so I dunno.

Still, definitely has potential :D

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
LeFishy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 06:16:29 PM »

Yeah a non-stop mode is something I keep meaning to add but then I get distracted by working on UpBot or uni work or adding some other feature to this one.

Maybe having this post here will serve as a reminder.

I'm also going to add an upper cap to the number of enemies on screen so that it doesn't become impossible to move.
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 07:01:34 PM »

The concept reminded me of One Step Back a bit, but it's quite different in practice.

Really ought to be real-time, though, as Aquin said.

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 09:33:06 PM »

I would not throw away this turn-based mode, maybe you could provide some turn-based "bonus levels" among real-time levels. This could add variety to the game. The idea is nice, the first part needs interventions is the graphics, imho.

Blackcorn
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 03:33:48 AM »

I really enjoy the chaos rises from my own path, it is a pretty nice concept. The turn-based mode seems totally justified to me. A real-time mode will definitely change the game experience. I'm not sure if it would be a good idea or not, but it could be nice to try it.

Idea : Maybe you could add a random bonus that might appear anywhere in the maze every X gold reached. This bonus would give more point than a gold ring, but would not create a new clone. It would add complexity to the player's path and so create a more vicious evil clone.
LeFishy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 06:34:46 AM »

I was planning on splitting the turn based "zen mode" and the non-stop mode completely because the non-stop mode would require a whole new scoring system and whatnot.

I have a few ideas for making the player's path a little longer and more convoluted but for some reason the bonus item thing never occurred to me so thanks for that one   SmileyHand Metal Right.
snowyowl
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 01:09:53 PM »

I like the turn-based way. Real-time is less interesting, because you have the option of waiting.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 01:55:39 PM »

Rly funny idea for game, but it needs big polishing.
Maybe add that when i have arrow down then im not stopping moving?

Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 04:08:02 PM »

I like the turn-based way. Real-time is less interesting, because you have the option of waiting.
I agree on this. I like the turn-based-ness, but maybe you could add in so that you can hold down a key to move in that direction, rather than having to tap it for each step. It's purely an ease-of-use thing.

As it is, this is a really sweet and elegant little piece of puzzle fun! I nice little mindbender that naturally gets more difficult as it goes on. I like the way the player effectively generates his own challenge.

Johnman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 12:10:08 PM »

It gets pretty interesting after score 1000 or so. I think real-time and turn-based modes would make for two very different games. Turn-based involves a lot of planning when things start getting messy, while real-time would be a matter of reflexes. I think you should make both modes available (separately).
LeFishy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 05:52:37 AM »

Yeah that's the plan when I'm not bogged down in uni work or I feel like procrastinating.

I guess I need to get a job too to eat. Ugh no makegametime ever again.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic