Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411988 Posts in 69440 Topics- by 58486 Members - Latest Member: Fuimus

June 16, 2024, 09:30:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhall[C64] QUOD INIT EXIT
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [C64] QUOD INIT EXIT  (Read 2675 times)
saimo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: October 29, 2010, 02:12:01 AM »

Hello,

I'm happy to announce that the final version of QUOD INIT EXIT, a brand-new game I made for the C64, is now out Smiley

The game can be freely downloaded from the CSDb page.

Enjoy!
slembcke
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 07:57:09 AM »

Simple but cute. I passed the first level by accident and then laughed once I figured out what was going on.

That has to be one of the nicer C64 games I've seen, though I've never actually owned a working C64. Sad

Scott - Howling Moon Software Chipmunk Physics Library - A fast and lightweight 2D physics engine.
saimo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 08:30:54 AM »

Simple but cute. I passed the first level by accident and then laughed once I figured out what was going on.

Make people laugh is the first and foremost purpose of the game, so I'm just glad to hear this Smiley
But, as simple as it can be, the game can also be fun with respect to the challenge: if you play it more, you'll find that the more you go on, the more challenging it becomes Wink

That has to be one of the nicer C64 games I've seen, though I've never actually owned a working C64. Sad

Thanks, that's a big compliment to me!
deathtotheweird
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 03:03:28 PM »

It sometimes freezes my emulator when trying to run it. I'm using CCS64 V3.8 on Windows. Had to force shut it down through the Task Manager and then it just decided to work. I dunno whats up with that.

I thought the game was pretty funny. I was a bit confused at first but when I got it I chuckled a bit. Very cute game. (tigsource needs piggy smiley)
saimo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 01:42:34 AM »

It sometimes freezes my emulator when trying to run it. I'm using CCS64 V3.8 on Windows. Had to force shut it down through the Task Manager and then it just decided to work. I dunno whats up with that.

This is a first. I guess it's a problem with the emulator: I have developed the game entirely on VICE and it never froze; moreover, there are people playing the game on real machines and nobody ever reported any problem.

I thought the game was pretty funny. I was a bit confused at first but when I got it I chuckled a bit. Very cute game. (tigsource needs piggy smiley)

Glad QIE brought a smile to your face Smiley
saimo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 10:42:03 AM »

I'd like to inform you that I've just relased a little update.
Changes:
 * fixed the flicker of some pixels, which was visible only on real machines and accurate emulators;
 * added level part to score shown in in-game screen;
 * compressed the program for faster loading;
 * made various other minor changes.

Here are a few updated screenshots:

Get it from here.
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 06:42:20 PM »

Still can't quite seem to figure out how to get the joystick support in Vice for OS X to work! But I'll figure it out eventually I think...

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
saimo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 01:00:22 AM »

Still can't quite seem to figure out how to get the joystick support in Vice for OS X to work! But I'll figure it out eventually I think...

I don't have MacOS, but VICE should be identical on all platforms, so it should be enough to:
 * select the menu option Settings -> Joystick Settings;
 * set the Joystick in port #2 to anything other than None (if you choose Keyset A or Keyset B, also configure the chosen keyset).
If this still doesn't seem to work, try in addition the menu option Options -> Swap Joysticks.
Zaphos
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 02:43:22 AM »

Heh, it took me a while to figure that out as well -- I think I must've only set port #1 first and thought that should do it ... since ... wouldn't that be the logical one to set ...

Anyway, once I got VICE to listen to me I played it for a bit, was amused Smiley
saimo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 03:52:22 AM »

Heh, it took me a while to figure that out as well -- I think I must've only set port #1 first and thought that should do it ... since ... wouldn't that be the logical one to set ...

No, port #2 is the most common choice for 1-player games or player #1.

Anyway, once I got VICE to listen to me I played it for a bit, was amused Smiley

Smiley
saimo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 12:08:05 PM »

It passed quite a long time since the original release, but, in the meanwhile, the game got updated several times - and just today I have released v1.7. Like always, it's free for everyone to enjoy ;-) Get it from its new page on itch.io (there is also a Windows installer that takes care of everything for those who don't want to fiddle with emulators).

Changes list:
* added clock (slows everything down);
* added pill (protects from poison);
* slown down score decrease;
* recalibrated probabilities of items;
* changed Zampo and turbofart design to match the one in QIE II;
* changed randomization logic;
* randomized platforms at each restart, so that they are always different;
* added fried egg;
* added a little background animation;
* touched up / updated HUD;
* removed game over message so that, at the end, the final score remains displayed;
* sped up a bit intro/outro messages;
* adapted to newer and better framework;
* optimized.
saimo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 09:39:28 AM »

In the past 10 months or so I have been working hard on MAH v2.0, another C64 game of mine. In the process, I have improved the framework that it is based on and that QUOD INIT EXIT uses as well. As a result, I adapted QUOD INIT EXIT to it, and I couldn't resist making the changes listed below. I hope you'll enjoy this new version of the game.

Get it (for free) from:
* itch.io: https://retream.itch.io/quod-init-exit
* CSDb: http://csdb.dk/release/?id=159349

Although the game is for C64, AmigaOS 4 and Windows users can install and play it as if it were a native application thanks to the install packages available on itch.io

CHANGELOG

1. Fixed mice appearing in the HUD (and maybe even worse things) due to beyond-boundary writes.
2. Fixed flagging of subsequent pill catches (there were actually counted up to 255, although that was not visible in the HUD after catching the poison).
3. Fixed screen initialization ($d016 was not initialized).
4. Fixed poo drop (if started when Zampo was in mid air, the poo would stop in mid air as well).
5. Changed points handling: now they start decreasing only after catching the toilet roll, but do it at twice the speed.
6. Changed pause controls: now [F1] pauses and unpauses.
7. Added return to BASIC by means of [RESTORE].
8. Touched up dawn, morning, and sunset skies graphics.
9. Touched up pill icon.
10. Shifted vertical alignment of text characters 1 line down.
11. Changed intro text.
12. Changed scrolltext.
13. Made a few optimizations (in particular, moved all the variables to the zero page).
14. Added a separate loader (based on the Covert Bitops Autoconfiguring Loader/Depacker) that loads the game more quickly from disk (the game itself is still a single file that can be loaded directly, so who uses other speed-up solutions does not need this loader).
15. Added EasyFlash version.
16. Touched up manual.
17. Fixed uninstall icon for Windows package.
18. Updated skies in icons for AmigaOS/Windows packages.
19. Fine-tuned CRT settings for AmigaOS/Windows packages.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic