Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 12:43:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Art Programs for Mac
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Art Programs for Mac  (Read 4372 times)
Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« on: November 02, 2010, 05:37:22 AM »

I'm developing iPhone games and need a program to do the artwork with.

On my Windows XP machine I use Paint Shop Pro 7, and am really looking for something similar. It supports graphics tablets, and layers with various blend modes, which is the main functionality I'm after.

Is there anything anyone can recommend?

caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 05:39:12 AM »

1 word, photoshop.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 05:59:37 AM »

I have Paint Shop Pro on my Windows machine and Photoshop Elements on my Mac, and in my unprofessional opinion they are roughly the same.

Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 06:20:25 AM »

Not sure if it's robust enough for your purposes, but I use Seashore. It's free and open-source. I've never used it to do layer blending, but I know it does all the other things you're looking for. It's not designed to replace Photoshop, but for image-editing basics it's excellent, and the interface is a lot less cumbersome.
slembcke
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 06:22:46 AM »

I know a number of people that swear by Pixelmator. There's also GIMP.

Say what you want about Adobe and feature creep or price of Photoshop, but it's pretty hard to beat...

Scott - Howling Moon Software Chipmunk Physics Library - A fast and lightweight 2D physics engine.
WafflePilot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 06:38:01 AM »

I've had good luck using pixen http://opensword.org/Pixen/ (which is awesome and supports onion skinning and animation)/Photoshop + filterforge/modo (using blender for rigging)

i've also been using sprite something on the ipad to much success

slembcke
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 07:15:22 AM »

Pixen is pretty good for spriting, but that's really it's only focus. It's a bit buggy, but fine as long as you save often. Wink

Scott - Howling Moon Software Chipmunk Physics Library - A fast and lightweight 2D physics engine.
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 07:19:38 AM »

Pixen is pretty neat for pixel art.

Pixelmator is amazing, and only 50 bucks. I honestly think it covers 90% of Photoshop's functionnality.

Otherwise yeah, Photoshop for mac. I think I heard it is overly buggy and pretty bad on the mac though.
Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 07:33:53 AM »

I find Pixen unusable at this point. I love that program to death, but it's 4 years since the last patch and it's so loaded with bugs. It crashes every time I try to mess with the background, and the files I save often get spontaneously corrupted. I only use it for animation these days. It does have about the best pixel animation editor I've ever used.

And it's definitely no substitute for the functionality of Paint Shop Pro.
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 07:45:15 AM »

I find Pixen unusable at this point. I love that program to death, but it's 4 years since the last patch and it's so loaded with bugs. It crashes every time I try to mess with the background, and the files I save often get spontaneously corrupted. I only use it for animation these days. It does have about the best pixel animation editor I've ever used.

That's a sign, TIGers! Let's code an open source equivalent of Pixen!
OneSadCookie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 08:30:09 AM »

I'm no artist, but I've been using Pixelmator for my rather limited requirements.  It doesn't seem to have nondestructive filters?  Worth a go round with the trial version, anyway.

Acorn has a free-forever 90%-of-features "trial".  I didn't like it, but some other people seem to.
slembcke
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 08:38:23 AM »

* slembcke facepalms

Pixen is open source. What it needs is somebody to take over development. Wink

WafflePilot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 09:16:57 AM »

it's so hard to work on a oss  project without a decent bugtracker ;/
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 11:40:38 AM »

* slembcke facepalms

Ah nice, didn't see that. Sorry Tongue
Although I see a link to the SVN on their website, but no mention of the license used. (and I'm too lazy to make an anonymous checkout to check whether it is included with the source or not)
Absurdist
Level 0

Waiting for VBLANK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 11:57:13 AM »

Pixen is indeed buggy as hell. I can deal with crashes, but not with random color fading.
WafflePilot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 12:01:01 PM »

I guess theres always graphics gale + wine
Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 12:14:54 PM »

Wow, thanks for all the responses everyone - really useful! I downloaded GIMP for Mac and I'm happy with it so far. It took me a while how to get it to respond to my tablet, but it seems fine so far. Can't quite find how to edit brush properties (especially hardness) yet, but hopefully with time I'll find them Smiley

Pixelmator sounds interesting - I'll give the trial a go, and might look at photoshop trials as well. I'll give Pixen a miss if I'm happy with GIMP or get one of the others, based on the mixed response to it here, but thanks to those who brought it up Smiley

Many thanks for your recommendations!  Coffee

Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 07:51:33 PM »

If someone knows Cocoa, this would make me happier than most other things.

Pixen is indeed buggy as hell. I can deal with crashes, but not with random color fading.

That's actually a problem I've had with a bunch of programs on my newer computer. Try going to Displays and setting your monitor to Generic RGB Profile. That fixed it in Seashore. One of those OS updates that a made a lot of not-quite-optimized programs generate a bug.
WafflePilot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 08:22:31 PM »

it's always weird when you build a project from svn trunk and you get a prompt saying a update is available   Panda
philnelson
Level 0

future doom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 02:17:09 PM »

There is a really good graphics app for OS X called Acorn, which just recently had a nice features update. At $49.95 it might seem a bit pricey until you consider that its only real competition in terms of usability/utility costs about 14 times as much. The 14-day trial gives you full use of every feature of the app, and after that you can continue using MOST of the app for as long as you want without paying a dime. I've been a user for a couple years, the updates are steady, and the bugs are fixed quick.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic