Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:47:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCall of the Wild
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Call of the Wild  (Read 1829 times)
Ant
« on: November 03, 2010, 04:43:25 AM »

Call of the Wild will be a sedate open-ended wilderness survival game. The focus will be on exploration, resource collection and bushcraft and won't have any story. It will also have occasional mini-games, such as Duck Hunt style dear shooting. I'm hoping to constantly tinker with this in between projects adding content until it becomes too unwieldy.

The game is still very early in development so all you can do is collect a few resources, explore the forest, build a tool and spend the night under the stars.  Oh and I'm using Game Maker for this so I think it's Windows only, though I'm not sure about that.

Download Game r2

« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 07:33:45 AM by Ant » Logged
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 03:53:02 PM »

Have't tried the demo yet, that is looking mighty pretty.

kavs
Level 2

Brad Kavanagh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 07:42:56 PM »

Pretty cool; just tried the demo.

I'd suggest some kind of text speedup command, like holding A or something. The text came pretty slowly, so I wanted to hurry up through it all... but I couldn't without closing the text window. Wink

I like where this is going! Great art style, by the way. Smiley

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 05:46:08 AM »

Promising! Good luck! Keep it up!

jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 07:44:29 AM »

Windows only huh.. shame, this looks good. Still I'll boot into Win later to give it a whirl.
Ant
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 11:58:12 AM »

Thanks chaps. I have a good idea of what I want to do with the game now. I was really considering making it a small-mid sized game with a full story (townie goes mad, wants to reach the top of a snowy mountain before winter, battles against hallucinations, but I think I'll go down the road of making it open-ended and probably will never consider it 'complete'. It's something I can tinker with long-term in between other projects to keep things fresh.

So anyway, there's not much to see at the moment as I'm working on getting the core mechanics in there. Once I've got a few buildable tools and areas in there I'll update this again so you folks will at least have something to play with.

I'd suggest some kind of text speedup command, like holding A or something. The text came pretty slowly, so I wanted to hurry up through it all... but I couldn't without closing the text window. Wink

Ah thanks, will do!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 10:42:02 AM by caiys » Logged
Ant
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 07:45:56 AM »

r2

Well at least there's something to do now. The day/night system is taking shape (hit S infront of the camp fire to go to sleep when it's dark) and you can head off back and to from Home to the Forests area which is randomly generated each time you visit (you can visit the forest twice before it gets dark). You can also build a saw as well which shows how building tools will work.

Next up I'll work on getting some gear and more tools to build and add the Highlands area.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic