Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:40:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHutch! An in-browser platform / sandbox game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Hutch! An in-browser platform / sandbox game  (Read 2504 times)
captainbenis
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2010, 05:04:21 PM »

I've been working on this for about a week now. It started as an experiment with Dancs lost garden tileset, but now it's grown a bit bigger. I'm not sure how the gameplay will work, but I've got Glitch and Minecraft as my inspirations. It's written in javascript, ruby on rails and uses backbone.js.

There's some

or visit the pre-release page at playhutch.com.

jrjellybeans
Level 3

They're All Gonna Laugh At You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 07:32:29 AM »

Looks kind of neat!  I liked the music in the video.

I'm wondering why you didn't make it so that the rocks are destroyed right away.  Seems like kind of a waste to have the player just stand there...

Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 09:41:34 AM »

I would be interested to see what you add to this, because it is difficult to tell where its going now.
captainbenis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 01:49:51 PM »

I've only just got to he point that I'm sure I can make the engine work. I haven't worked out all the details yet - but basically it'll be a sandbox collecting game , with zombie / primitive enemies of different levels that you can attack. You'll be able to make small patches of land that favour the growth of different resources (eg goats will want hills and shrubs, trees will want grass and water tiles), that you can then harvest to help you on your quest to kill enemies. I don't want to have player-player conflict, but instead promote cooperation (ala tf2 or fat princess where i'll be a medic and you can be a heavy).

So yeah. Minecraft / tf2 / farmville. Just combine those.  Gentleman
walrus
Level 0

AD / artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 05:25:55 AM »

It's a great start, and very cool that it's browser based! Will it eventually support simultaneous users, like an MMO (and if so, how many do you imagine?) or will it be a single-player or asynchronous experience? Anyhow, very interesting and I've signed up for the alpha list! :D

captainbenis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 02:09:30 PM »

Cool - thanks walrus! It will support multiplayer. I want it to be a collaborative game versus AI greeblies. I'm using websockets and ruby eventmachine to do multiplayer tests at the moment.
captainbenis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 12:19:05 AM »

OM NOM NOM  BRAAAINS.

Just been working on some zombies. I'm not an artist - but they're a nice easy mechanic to add. The challenge is to run around gathering items and building defences, while not getting eaten. Should make for a fun multiplayer game.

captainbenis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 02:47:17 PM »

Another video -

Some zombies walking around trying to eat you. I'm still trying to work out a good game model. Currently leaning towards a game with enemies that rush around on the flat surface and you can run out and drop blocks or bombs to contain the zombies, then they get exploded.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic