Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 03:29:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMr Runner 2
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mr Runner 2  (Read 4013 times)
MrScruffs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 03, 2010, 06:25:11 PM »

So a while back I made Mr Runner. I decided to make a better one! Delicious is pixelling the whole thing. He’s such a champion, and really pushing the art style.

November 11
    - Created a beta sign up list, so now you can help me playtest here:http://bitbattalion.com/2010/11/mr-runner-beta-testing/
    - tiles which shoot you across the map
    - Contined work on the art style

November 8
    - Made some serious progress on the art for world 2
    - Posted a tour of the level editor http://bitbattalion.com/2010/11/mr-runner-2-level-editor-wip/

November 9
    - Added in game entities, so the world will be a  little less lonely
    - Added in falling rocks, which fall on top of you when you get too close

What is it?
Basically, Mr Runner is hard-core fast-paced platformer. It’s all about blasting through levels at top speed, building up momentum and keeping the flow.  
It plays like a cross between Canabalt and Super Meat Boy in a dying world with no enemies to slow you down.
Each level is crammed full of different paths and short cuts, so you’ll have to discover the fastest route. Collecting coins takes saves a bit of precious time.  Finishing a level is easy, but finishing it well is brutally tough. If you finish with an awesome time, you’ll be rewarded with a gold medal. Complete it absolutely perfectly,  and score the shiny platinum - but they don’t come easily.

So whats changed?
Mr Runner 2 is what Mr runner should have been. I’m fixing EVERYTHING:
  • Its sexy: Delicious is making sure of that. I’ve also added in fog, a tonne of particle effects, decals in the background and foreground.
  • It sounds sexy: I have Paul Kopetko doing some bad ass sound effects and tunes.
  • Its way bigger. I’ve churned out 20 levels so far, but I’m planning on doing 100+. It will have a tone of new mechanics as well.  Delicious is keen to do three different worlds, a story, and everything!
  • The controls are now way tighter, smoother and faster. No more terrible wall jumps, slow acceleration, and jarring stops. You can now step up tiles and slide automatically, which all adds to the flow of the game.
  • The physics have been totally redone. Collision detection was off last time, but no longer.
  • Its fast. It has a bigger screen and runs at a smooth 30fps on most comps (as opposed to 22fps like the last one)!

It's still in Alpha
We’re working our assess off right now, but its not going to be a short game, so expect early next year!
If you have any ideas or changes you want to see after playing the first one, POST THEM HERE! I would love to here everything and anything I can do to make it as fun as possible :D.
If you want to beta test, there’ll be a version that you can get your hands on in about a week Smiley Just shoot me up with a message or email me at [email protected]. I’ll hook you up!

« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 04:54:28 PM by MrScruffs » Logged

Check out our Shizm.
Bit Battalion
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 07:28:45 PM »

At first it reminded me of RunMan RATW and Sonic, but it looks quite a bit more chaotic. And really fun.

That last level in the trailer looks awesome, especially with the motion blur.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 07:59:50 PM »

Loved the original mr runner and am looking forward to this one!
Sam English
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 09:47:46 AM »

This looks like an absolute BLAST! Can't wait to play it.
PlayMeTape
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 12:07:37 PM »

Looking great. I especially love the motion blur.

One thing I'd like to see changed is the player character. I realize it's hard changing in a sequel I just feel like with the beautifully detailed backgrounds, tiles and objects he looks kind of out of place.

Anyway, best of luck!
Delicious
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 02:39:12 PM »

Thank you, fella's!

Yes. The character will definitely be changed in later versions. We just didn't find time to do it before IGF, though it will be done.  Smiley

Blah Blah Blah <3
Twitter - Zjdelicious
BoxedLunch
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 02:47:32 PM »

One thing I'd like to see changed is the player character. I realize it's hard changing in a sequel I just feel like with the beautifully detailed backgrounds, tiles and objects he looks kind of out of place.
Yeah i feel the same way, i love how it's going so far though. Looking forward to it being finished.
jethrolarson
Level 0

@jethrolarson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 05:15:34 PM »

The boost panels have a cool effect. I'd almost want to see that as a button on the controller.

Super Meat Boy has a run button that's cool but it's easy to forget that you're holding it down since it doesn't have a terribly drastic affect. I'd like to see a sprint button that feels like it's actually risky to keep it pressed down. RunMan Race Around the World kind of had that feel with it's sprint button but you were often safe keeping it pressed.

Looking forward to seeing it.

MrScruffs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 06:44:47 PM »

The boost panels have a cool effect. I'd almost want to see that as a button on the controller.

Super Meat Boy has a run button that's cool but it's easy to forget that you're holding it down since it doesn't have a terribly drastic affect. I'd like to see a sprint button that feels like it's actually risky to keep it pressed down. RunMan Race Around the World kind of had that feel with it's sprint button but you were often safe keeping it pressed.

Looking forward to seeing it.

I really like that idea! I've been trying to design levels so that there is a real risk/reward element to taking faster routes, and an out of control sprint button would really add to that. I'm not sure I'd want it in all levels - maybe in certain parts of levels there could be controllable boost tiles?

Either way, bad ass idea. Definitely on my to try list. 

Check out our Shizm.
Bit Battalion
MrScruffs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 06:46:22 PM »

Yeah i feel the same way, i love how it's going so far though. Looking forward to it being finished.

Yeah, like delicious said, we are totally going to revamp the character.
Check out my profile pic for concept Smiley
<----

Check out our Shizm.
Bit Battalion
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 07:31:41 PM »

I think you avatar looks too happy and cartoony. I liked the more serious looking original better.
Delicious
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 07:44:55 PM »

I think you avatar looks too happy and cartoony. I liked the more serious looking original better.
Yea, that's not the one to go in-game. It's merely one I made awhile ago inspired by it. I'll definitely keep the original look, just revamped.

Blah Blah Blah <3
Twitter - Zjdelicious
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 04:06:39 AM »

This game looks incredibly well done, can't wait to see more guys! As long as that cape doesn't affect Mr. Runners maximum speed Wink

RotateMe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 09:58:00 AM »

This does indeed look sexy, a few more tilesets instead of color blending would be nice but I get you're doing that. Are you planning to add more features? I mean simple is great, but for 100+ levels I don't know...
Delicious
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 09:14:06 PM »

Thank you for all the compliments, it's much appreciated! Really gets me excited to do more. =D

RotateMe: We will be sure to mix a few objects/features throughout the levels!

Blah Blah Blah <3
Twitter - Zjdelicious
MrScruffs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 12:49:23 AM »

This does indeed look sexy, a few more tilesets instead of color blending would be nice but I get you're doing that. Are you planning to add more features? I mean simple is great, but for 100+ levels I don't know...

Yeah man! Like delicious said, we have got tonnes planned. We currently have about 12 tile types, but we're working on a tonne more. We're also just finishing up some mock up artwork for world 2, which we'll have posted up pretty soon.

Any ideas for features?

Check out our Shizm.
Bit Battalion
MrScruffs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 03:41:15 AM »

So I just finished posting up a level editor demo! Check it out: http://bitbattalion.com/2010/11/mr-runner-2-level-editor-wip/

Check out our Shizm.
Bit Battalion
RotateMe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 01:54:16 PM »

Who, Me?

This on the go level testing is just great! I don't know how I haven't already included this in my editor so I'm doing it right now. God how starting the game loading the level and playing to the point you want to test has consumed days of my life. No, really, how was I too lazy to implement this...
MrScruffs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 04:51:03 PM »

Who, Me?

This on the go level testing is just great! I don't know how I haven't already included this in my editor so I'm doing it right now. God how starting the game loading the level and playing to the point you want to test has consumed days of my life. No, really, how was I too lazy to implement this...

Its awesome hey! It was actually easier to do it like that, then I realised just how useful it was. let me know how it goes!

Check out our Shizm.
Bit Battalion
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic