Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 10:18:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingProject I/O : IGF 2011 Entry
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Project I/O : IGF 2011 Entry  (Read 1297 times)
rekcah
Level 1

PulseBoy.com

View Profile WWW
« on: November 05, 2010, 12:51:03 PM »

So today I've decided to release my IGF 2011 entry, Project I/O! Like rComplex, we didn't start developing this game until a week before the IGF 2011 deadline. I guess we dont ever get motivated until the last minute o.O...

You play as a test subject who is held against his will in a training facility. To escape the facility he must use his environment to his advantage. Luckily he isn't alone ....

You can download the game HERE and enjoy!

Let me know what you guys think about this one =)! Thanks!

REQUIREMENTS:

OPERATING SYSTEMS: Windows XP or Vista or 7

RAM: 256M

PROCESSOR: 1.3 Ghz Intel Celeron M or any comparable AMD/Intel Processor

GPU: ATI 9000, Nvdia Geforce 4MX 32 MB or equivalent OpenGL compatible GPU

CAPACITY: 90 MB of hard drive space is required !

CREDITS:

Roger Hicks - Code, Music and Sound Effects

Brian Terwilliger - 3D Art and Animation

RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 01:40:45 PM »

hey, I was really digging it up until the bit at the top of the big lift- i could just not get the rocket to hit the barrier, every time it hit me instead

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
rekcah
Level 1

PulseBoy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 07:17:30 PM »

Hey! I made some "hint images" to that particular part you're stuck on.

Method 1: Getting it to follow you and jumping towards the block

Method 2: Jumping over it

Theres some other crazier methods but these are the easiest IMO.

RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 05:33:18 PM »

hey, I took another go at it and (eventually) I got past that bit, but I got stuck on the bit right after it..

imo, the game gets difficult too quick, and it's the rockets doing it.. it's just far to easy for them to
-hit you
-catch on scenery
-get shot by the laser cannon

I tried several times to get the rocket to the door but it always catches on something, or the one time I got it near the door it turned back quickly and flew into the floor. Imo you're asking for expert control over using the rockets, right after they've been introduced

If I were to make a suggestion I would: reduce the rocket's collision on the player, make rockets steer a little away from non-destructable walls, make them invincible to laser cannon, and also ease the puzzles in a bit slower (you may think this one's easy, but seriously it took quite a few gos and it was luck more than anything which got me past)

I also started to get frustrated by getting shoved by the laser- sometimes it looked like I might get the rocket where I wanted, but the laser shot me and then the rocket hit me. I almost think I would enjoy the game more if neither of the projectiles could actually collide with me

Bootleg TurboDrive
www.richmakegame.com
rekcah
Level 1

PulseBoy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 06:42:37 PM »

^^^
Thanks for your suggestion! I'll take this into consideration though it's hard to decide if I should change what Ive done so far since I've gotten completely opposite responses from other gamers. For example:

"the game was pretty easy, but I consider that a good thing. The controls were very easy to get to, although I wonder what the up and down arrow are for (they are listed in the game as action keys) and the puzzles were easy to do too. The timing parts were slightly harder, but not that frustrating. I would like to see more length though."

or

It's got it's good points. Distinct visual style. Interesting game mechanic. I like that the shots don't hurt you, just push you around a bit. Game would have been frustratingly difficult if I died every time I got hit. Then again, it would also have made the game much more rewarding and a longer experience. It would have been nice to been told that too.

So far you're the only one to mention getting stuck. I agree that it is a difficult section to pass. But its definitely passable since several other other people have been able to do it.

RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 07:34:28 AM »

that's interesting. I wonder what sort of gamers they are (eg, hardcore platform fans?)

I don't consider myself bad at platform games, infact I'm a big fan. And I'm not that impatient- I finished braid, some of the puzzles in there took a few attempts but I persevered. I think for me the difference is in braid I always felt like failure was my fault, but here I feel the way the rocket behaves is slightly unfair towards me. And the 'delight' was in discovering the mechanics and how to beat the puzzle. Here, I can clearly see how the puzzle is supposed to be solved, I just can't do it.

well, if you're getting positive feedback and people think it's easy then fair enough Smiley

EDIT: ok just beat the game
that rocket bit at the top of the lift, and getting the rocket to the next door, are by far the hardest part in the game.
because: the rocket keeps blowing up on the lift- even when to me it clearly had room to pass. is the collision for the rocket accurate?

and: when I did clear the rocket past thr lift, many times it got shot by the laser

the rest of the game I breezed through. the robot suit is a cool touch, although it doesn't do much to change the gameplay. Love the graphics btw Smiley
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 08:05:56 AM by RedProdukt » Logged

Bootleg TurboDrive
www.richmakegame.com
rekcah
Level 1

PulseBoy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 08:49:23 AM »

Yay! AWESOME! Its like a weight lifted off my chest that you got past that part LOL.

But thanks again for pointing that out. I'm definitely considering making some changes to that part in the final version to make it a bit easier.

I wanted to introduce the mech there because in the later sections you will actually get to use the mech in a really cool way! Again, This version is just the IGF demo so subscribe my blog @ www.rekcahdam.com to keep up with it =).

OH , and I'm glad you like the graphics!

EDIT: The collision on the top half of the lift is a bit up so i can see how the missile might seem like its hitting that early. You're good to notice that. I can tone that down a bit. =)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 09:02:54 AM by rekcah » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic