Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411487 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 11:34:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingFroggle
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Froggle  (Read 2298 times)
FroggleGualty
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2008, 07:13:59 PM »

« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 03:32:55 PM by FroggleGualty » Logged
Zaphos
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 08:23:58 PM »

I walked around for a little bit and then it crashed:

... it seemed it was about to transfer to the fly collection level as it happened.

Anyway I played a second time and it didn't crash.  Here are some disorganized thoughts / comments:
* The camera gets really glitchy as I look up, seems like it just goes inside the frog model so you see random bits of the frog cluttering the view.
* The frog walk animation is totally out of synch with his actual movement, so there's just an extreme amount of footskate, which looks pretty bad to me.
* The rendering of the bubbles at the waterfall is just weird; they flicker and don't really add to the waterfall look.  The static, opaque water in general is a bit jarring; if you can't do water, you should probably just not do water.
* The dialog bubbles have the comics-style bit that should point to the person who is talking, but they're not actually connected to the speaker at all.
* The edge of the world is very noticeable; it has giant black borders and I can climb it with my tongue.  The camera can also rotate through it, showing the skybox without the tint that the translucent world-edge polygons give it.
* The skybox has seams at its edges, and has no bottom.
* If I fall a long way, especially if I hold shift to fall fast, I can fall through floors.
* I'm not sure why 'hold shift to fall fast' is in the control scheme at all -- doesn't seem to add anything
* The mouse picture used on the instruction screen is pretty jarringly out of place with the child's-drawing style; should probably use a simpler picture, and perhaps one without a scroll wheel (does the scroll wheel do anything?  I never tried to use it, anyway)
* The squash and stretch on the flies causes their bodies to penetrate through their eyes, which looks bad.
* Challenge levels seem to have arbitrary unspecified time limits
* The title screen looks pretty janky
* Froggle sounds like some horrible mixture of frogger and peggle
* If I stand on the leafs that fall, my character jitters around in a weird way.
* Collision behavior as the character is right up against a wall is unpredictable, and sometimes causes jitter; this is very noticeable since the main mechanic pulls the player up against walls constantly.
* In the 'collect these red dots' minigame that you can get to up high in the level, it seemed like sometimes I was getting credit for collecting dots when I didn't go through them or even necessarily see where they were.
* The tongue can go through geometry pretty easily, since it's just a straight-line connection (no bending), not sure what you should do about it, but it's kind of jarring and unfortunate.

Organized thoughts/comments:
It's a neat mechanic, and swinging around the levels is pretty fun in itself.  The 'challenge' parts of it feel pretty broken, especially when you realize you can just tongue up the side of any area to reach the top, and a lot of the game ends up revolving around struggling with the bizarre mechanics of tonguing a wall you're right up against, or right under.  The most fun part -- swinging around -- feels marginalized because of this.  The whole production is very rough around the edges.

Anyway, hope some of that helps.  Nice work for a student project Smiley
Zaphos
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 08:38:31 PM »

Here's a screenshot of the world-border issues, since I'm not sure if I was clear or if it looks the same on all hardware:

Also, the way you're doing water as a layer of polygons with a different texture, right on top of ground, gives bad z-fighting if you're far away from it.  It's hard to capture in a still shot, but you can see some of the effect here:
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 04:29:14 AM »

Hey there! At this point, it's hard to comment on the gameplay because of the many bug issues. The camera positions itslef at weird angles at time and the race mini-game doesn't work at all for me (I'm like stuck somewhere and I can't move)

I did toy around with the game tho. I feel like it should try to simplify the controls and make the tongue mechanic stronger. I like how you can move around the map using the tongue but it's really too basic in my opinion. I can see alot of potential with the shoot and  move/hang concept. It would be nice to control the toungue as you shoot it, like having some sort of aiming and the possibility to wrap around objects. In general, I felt like the mechanic was too straight forward and didn't offer enough possibilities to master. I can't see the use of the jump mechanic since the toungue should be all that you need to reach high places.

In all cases, I'd like to see this a bit more polished so I could really play with it. I'd really like to see that tongue mechanice become stronger and more diversified because it feels like the kind of game you could toy with for hours, just playing around with the tongue concept.

What have you planned so far in terms of goals (short, mid and long term)? There's this jewels thing and there are some mini-games to win but what else have you got on your drawing board? What about experimentation? Can the player modify the game universe to create different experience while playing it (ie: not an editor, actual in-game universe modifications). I can really imagine the player being able to move things with his tongue in order to create new paths, defeat various enemies or simply access secret areas. What have you planned in terms of emotional involvement? How are you going to make me feel part of this virtual universe? How are my actions changing the universe I'm playing in?

Well, the game looks interesting but as of now, it feels too raw to really enjoy it. Keep workin on this, it has some good potential Smiley
Later!   

FroggleGualty
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 04:25:18 PM »

Hello...I've posted a thread about my game before but I have a feeling it might be gone now. 

Froggle is a 3D action platformer currently being developed by four programmers and two artists at DigiPen Institute of Technology.  The player controls a small frog-like creature that can uses his extraordinarily long tongue to grapple onto targets.

You can download the latest version here:  http://www.digipen.edu/main/Gallery_Games_2007#Froggle

Just click on Froggle_Setup.exe.  The game is not yet complete but it'd be nice to get some feedback!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic