Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 07:35:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDash and the Stolen Treasure: Student Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dash and the Stolen Treasure: Student Game  (Read 2515 times)
thorlak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 06, 2010, 02:12:07 PM »

Hello TigSource community!! Smiley

I am pleased to anounce that I've recently finished a master degree in videogame development and this is the game I've been working at.

Dash and the Stolen Treasure is a platform game inspired in Jak and Daxter's series, Mario and Crash Bandicoot. A cartoonish game set in a pirates world, plenty of loony creatures.

It has been developed from scratch by a group of 5 students, 3 programmers (me being one of them Tongue) and 2 artists.

You can download the game (for free of course!) at it's official web site: Dash and the Stolen Treasure

INFO
Take control of Dash, the world's most most famous pirate, who is also ironically afraid of water, he is just a kid and he possesses almost every treasure that has ever existed... until one day he is stolen by the band of Blind Shark Pirates! Get your treasures back! Get your revenge and recover all your coins and gems, oh and save some baby sea urchins on the way, they will be grateful to you! 

Jump, explore, run over the water, get your treasures back and play baseball with the octopuses!

SCREENSHOTS

VIDEOS
Trailer:

Video Walkthrough:
Part 1:

Part 2: Dash and the Stolen Treasure: Walkthrough - Part 2/2

Facebook Group Page: Project: The Last Pirate

Any feedback is really really welcome! ^_^
HDSanctum
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 03:27:12 PM »

The trailer looks really cool, I love the bright, happy theme in the game. It reminded me a lot of many mmo's out there actually (which is probably a compliment on the quality). I will definitely try to find time to play the game.

Maybe others disagree, but I found the trailer's text tries to oversell itself just a little bit, example: "Fight against THE MOST AMAZING creatures!" (emphasis added to reflect how it sounded in my head Tongue). But of course, that hasn't got that much to do with the game.

It would be nice if the dash website had a link to a credits page with links to the devs personal pages, I'd really like to see more of your stuff Wink
RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 05:59:59 PM »

impressive work! really slick, I enjoyed it. What nationality is the team?

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
ink.inc
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 06:18:51 PM »

Spanish. From Spain.
ArenMook
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 08:15:14 PM »

I love the style! Bright, vibrant graphics, achievements, minigames? This is very impressive for a group of students. I can see it easily appealing to the younger audience, as long as they won't need to fight with the camera system. How long have you been working on it?
Xecutor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 02:16:14 AM »

Failed to start the game on win7 Sad
With default settings game starts and there is only black screen after that.
I changed fullscreen to false in config file.
Now game starts fine in windowed mode, but right after
controlling method choice it crashes with runtime error.
thorlak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 02:58:57 AM »

Hi all!! Thank you for your responses and feedback, that's something we really appreciate Smiley

The trailer looks really cool, I love the bright, happy theme in the game. It reminded me a lot of many mmo's out there actually (which is probably a compliment on the quality). I will definitely try to find time to play the game.

Maybe others disagree, but I found the trailer's text tries to oversell itself just a little bit, example: "Fight against THE MOST AMAZING creatures!" (emphasis added to reflect how it sounded in my head Tongue). But of course, that hasn't got that much to do with the game.

It would be nice if the dash website had a link to a credits page with links to the devs personal pages, I'd really like to see more of your stuff Wink

Thanks!! Yes you are right, we should provide more information about the development team on Dash website. In the following weeks we will probably renew the web layout because now it's just too simple :p, and regarding the trailer.. maybe we have exceeded a little bit too xD

impressive work! really slick, I enjoyed it. What nationality is the team?

Thank you!! As John Sandoval already pointed out we are from Spain, more precisely from Barcelona ^^

I love the style! Bright, vibrant graphics, achievements, minigames? This is very impressive for a group of students. I can see it easily appealing to the younger audience, as long as they won't need to fight with the camera system. How long have you been working on it?

Thanks thanks for the comments! We have been working on the game for 10 months, starting at the conception of the idea, building the engine and finally implementing the game mechanics and well.. finishing the game hehe Smiley

Failed to start the game on win7 Sad
With default settings game starts and there is only black screen after that.
I changed fullscreen to false in config file.
Now game starts fine in windowed mode, but right after
controlling method choice it crashes with runtime error.
Hey Xecutor! Thanks for the notification! We are already aware that on Windows7 and Vista there are problems and we are still investigating what can be the cause. It's really weird because it just seems to happen in some cases, and sometimes rebooting the PC or restarting the game solves it (sometimes not... Sad )
Anyway, if you have access to a PC with Windows XP you should have no problems executing the game. As I said before, we are looking into that problem and hope to release a fix soon! Wink

Thanks again for all the comments!
If you have any questions about the development of the game, just ask!! Smiley I'll be happy to answer all your questions Wink
Xecutor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 07:04:08 AM »

I started game with admin privelegies and now it works fine Smiley
Either you are trying to open some of game resources in read/write mode instead of read only or you are trying to save something in a game directory instead of %APPDATA%/Dash/.

Finished it. Nice little game!
The only complain is absense of hit sound when you are slaping these pesky sharks.
thorlak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 11:33:48 AM »

I started game with admin privelegies and now it works fine Smiley
Either you are trying to open some of game resources in read/write mode instead of read only or you are trying to save something in a game directory instead of %APPDATA%/Dash/.

Finished it. Nice little game!
The only complain is absense of hit sound when you are slaping these pesky sharks.

Wow! That makes a lot of sense!! Yes, we write the trophies/achievements progress, so if a player wants to replay the game he doesn't have to unlock everything at once. We also write the user configuration of the selected screen resolution.
Thank you very much Xecutor! We will take a look into that :D
And thanks for the feedback too. I hope we can release a new update soon with the bugfixes and more sounds if possible :D

Thanks and thanks again! Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic